Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-07-2017, 09:40 PM   #1

Help with repairing ceiling panel / water damage - 2001 Designer Class C

I just recently found three to four different spots in my ceiling panels that I assume have water damage due to the bubbling and wrinkling of the underlayment cover. After thoroughly resealing my roof, I explored one of them from the interior, confirmed it (still moist) and found the construction to be very different than what I'd researched on ceiling panel repair via youtube. It appears there is a styrofoam sandwich going on in there - underlayment/styrofoam/underlayment - with the top of the sandwich being in contact with the roofing material.
Not sure what my next DIY step is or if there is a next DIY step. Is repairing this something I can do myself with some common construction know-how? Do I scrape out all the styrofoam down to the underlayment in contact with the roof and then fill with traditional insulation? Let it dry out/spray any mold/cover it up with another sheet of underlayment? Are there any joists in the ceiling panels to reconstruct with?
I would love to hear from anyone who has managed this on their own. Extent of work, complexity, materials.....????
Thank you in advance for any guidance!!
dsdinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 07:32 AM   #2

The inner, styrofoam and outer layer are glued together to help give the roof/ceiling strength. You will probably be ok removing the rotted areas and using traditional insulation but depending on where you live you might be able to find a place that you can get replacement foam from and glue back in - that's what I did.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott91370 View Post
The inner, styrofoam and outer layer are glued together to help give the roof/ceiling strength. You will probably be ok removing the rotted areas and using traditional insulation but depending on where you live you might be able to find a place that you can get replacement foam from and glue back in - that's what I did.
Thank you, Scott. And I assume you simply glued back up a new piece of underlayment? I'm concerned this type of construction won't hold nails or screws. I was hoping for some sort of joist in the construction to reattach the new underlayment with screws or nails and then supplement with glue.
dsdinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:58 AM   #4

Here is my thread. My computer locked up and when I checked back my first post wasn't there, but now it is.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f4...t-39639-2.html

You can see since I redid the entire roof I was able to add joists to glue to. I did glue in a totally new ceiling so I have advantage of getting to every corner.
If you have any other questions please ask and I'll do my best to answer.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling, ceiling panel, roof repair, water damage