Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-28-2022, 07:46 PM   #1

Hot Water Heater

I recently purchased a used 2018 SLX 242 BHSW. Turns out the hot water heater is busted. A complete rupture of the tank that I found after I dewinterized it filled it. So now I am looking at replacing it.....

1. I am thinking about a tankless hot water heater. Thoughts? Anyone installed one and like/dislike it?

2. If I go the tankless route... I am having a hard time finding the dimensions of the hot water heater I need to order, anybody know where to find those?

Any other input is welcome. Thanks.
roogs25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 08:45 PM   #2

What WH do you have?

As for tankless WHs. I have one at home, it took a bit to get use to. I would NEVER have one in a tt, unless we changed our camping style.

What style camping do you do? If you boondock you may not like it. For example, everytime you turn off the water, the heater shutdown. When you turn on the faucet, the safeties require a moment to purge the flame chamber before ignition. This allows a slug of cold water to be passed through. This is not nice if taking a navy shower. You can also waste a lot of water taking showers or dishes, if you want hot water.

Now if you camp with full hookups, this cycling usually is not a big deal.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 09:22 PM   #3

My Greyhawk came with a Girard Tankless. I like it, but the number of people who hate them run about 8:1. The sizes are in the installation manuals on their website.
Old 06-29-2022, 01:15 PM   #4

I’ve never used the on demand water heaters but I would suggest replacing with another Atwood unit. We have a 2017 SLX with the gas only unit. It has always kept up with our showers and doesn’t use much propane. We usually leave the hot water on all day.
damammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 02:47 PM   #5

I've heard the tankless on the RVs are hard to use b/c there's so little water flow (RVs all conserve water)and its hard to get the cold/hot mix right. I've heard the same on the Girard, most dislike them.

I did do some research on it though as the DW was very interested in it.. the Truma is somewhat of a hybrid. It is based on tankless, but keeps a small 1g or so tank it constantly mixes/heats so the low water flow isn't an issue. Everything I read on those loves them, but I'm sure there's exceptions like all things. I didn't get it b/c if the RV doesn't come with it at build, you have to let them install it at the Truma factory. Not enough time for that..
Old 06-29-2022, 03:56 PM   #6
CAG

I think a search here will bring up some threads on tankless heaters in RVs and just my take on what I have read, because at one point I considered it but most did not feel they were a good choice. Many were removing them and replacing them with tanks.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 12:08 PM   #7

For various reasons I put them in my single family rental homes, BUT, I would never own one in my own home and I wouldn't see any reason to put one in a camping situation unless you were seasonal....maybe.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote