Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-22-2020, 08:57 PM   #1
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: CG
Posts: 354
Hot Wire Smell From Water Heater

When we turn on the electric switch for the Atwood WH, we get a pretty strong smell from the WH, inside the TT. It smells like overheated wiring. We replaced the temperature sensors, but that did fix it. I have read that it could be the element, but I am not sure.
gunafulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:28 PM   #2
Senior Member
JimD's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Inland Empire, California
Posts: 1,744
I would not recommend running this thing in anything other than troubleshooting mode. Burning wiring can cause a fire.

If your water heater has outside access, remove the grill and fire it up (so to speak). See if the smell is coming from that area. If so, turn the unit off and disconnect from power. Then feel around the wires to see if you can find a hot one. The reason I say to disconnect from power is just to avoid any shock from a wire that may have melted through.

In theory the unit's circuit breaker is suppose to be there to protect the wiring in case of excess current draw. To smell burning wiring is somewhat unusual as you would hope the breaker would trip before any wiring got that hot. The wiring should get warm but not hot.

A loose connection to the heating element could cause excessive heat. I would look first at the heating element wires and work my way back.

Be very careful troubleshooting this sort of problem. You don't want to burn down your rig.

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W
solar & many other mods
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:59 AM   #3
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: CG
Posts: 354
Thanks, Jim!
I will heed your advice. I do not know that it is a wire; it is a similar "plastic" sort of smell. It could be something else. It seems to be coming from the back of the unit. It also smells a bit like styrofoam. It has a styrofoam cover on it.
gunafulltime is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.