Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-28-2017, 09:59 AM   #41

I'm in the 300 mile range also
Old 10-28-2017, 10:15 AM   #42

Add me to the 300+ group.... We like to get a stop place while the sun is still up so we can get setup and get a nice bon-fire going and eat supper sitting around the fire pit...

This is the best time for us to gas up the truck without the trailler hooked up and get supplies for the next day etc...

When we arrive at the destination we are always fresh and ready to do things... Used to meet up with my sister and her hubby that pulled a hugh 5th wheel at Myrtle Beach for our then usual week long stay with another sister that lives there. He was worn plumb out for long drive from Ill and slept two or three days before getting out haha... Not us but our drive was one or two days getting there from Northern Neck VA...

Got to have time to smell the roses on the way down...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 07:04 PM   #43

On a mission 1000, taking a trip with purpose 600. Usually just go until “it’s that time”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Origjcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 05:45 AM   #44

We usually try to limit our towing to about 400 miles/day. We also ALWAYS plan our travels so we arrive at our next destination before it gets dark if at all possible. I hate backing into a spot and hooking up in the dark.
Happy camping!

2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with 6.2L and max tow package
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Starcraft Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
Cypress, TX
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:12 PM   #45

Like a few others our distances traveled each day have reduced as we travel more. When I first retired we pushed ourselves with long distances. I refer to those days as the 'two week vacation syndrome' that carried over from our work vacation trips. Now we tend to mosey towards a general destination but without an itinerary, scheduled stops or reservations. We now figure that if we don't really know exactly where we are going what is the rush to get there! I once read that one RVer used the rule of two's: no more than 200 miles/day, stop by 2 p.m., and stay at least two days. Our RVing life is much more relaxing now that we have slowed down.

Of course everyones travel time available isn't as luxurious as those of us who are retired.
DNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:34 PM   #46

Used to drive from Flagstaff, AZ to North Platte, NE (approx. 1025 miles) and then North Platte to International Falls, MN (approx. 1000 miles) when we lived in Flagstaff used to work there and would visit friends). If I needed a break, I'd catch a nap (in the TT) in either a wayside or Pilot or Love. I used to work 16 hour shifts (government work before I retired) and would easily put in 12-14 hour runs on trips. I also used interstates, check on construction for detours, etc.

Most recent trips have been 600-700 miles, depending on where we're going and when we want to arrive.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:01 PM   #47

One of the most important things is to schedule at what time you go through a big city.
Never in the rush hours. I like to leave very early then drive through & stop on the other side. Sat & Sunday is a good time but check for big events traffic.
putz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:42 PM   #48

2am if you are driving through Atlanta and want to avoid traffic. Interstates, especially through the downtown area are nuts from about 6am to 10 pm.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:03 AM   #49

Not as far as I used to. The wife's back has also limited the miles.
kneeslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:49 AM   #50

I'm in my early sixties and try to go no further than 400 miles a day, and on my way to my ultimate destination I stay at places right off the interstate and boondock (don't want to waste time hooking up my systems, which allows me a quick start in the morning).

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 02:38 PM   #51

I am retired and in no hurry. I tow with a 1/2 ton and drive 55-60 unless it’s uphill and then it’s more like 35. I don’t enjoy being in the truck more than 5-6 hours a day so I plan on 250 Miles per day. Sure it takes a couple extra days but We enjoy the leisurely pace.
GScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 03:42 PM   #52

We just completed our first extended tow and my our recommendation is to look at a plan with a few different places to stop if need be, otherwise do what is comfortable. One day we had 25 to 45 mph winds the entire day and I was wiped out after about 5 hours as were most of the drivers that stopped in the same park that night. But, another day we towed 7 hours and it was a relaxing tow. Prepare options and make the decision while driving. We also stop at least once every two hours just to get the blood circulating and let the dog out.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:06 AM   #53

I break my trips up into fuel stops. I always stop every 2 hours for fuel, bathroom break (family of 4) and also to allow tires to cool down. I run a tire monitoring system, but like to give my tires a chance to take a break as well. After having a nasty blowout, I don't take chances anymore on tire safety. 4 total fuel stops per day is my limit, so we plan our trips accordingly.
imaynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:45 AM   #54
PMC

It really comes down to what you're comfortable with. When we head west we try and get our big day out of the way on day one which usually means anywhere from 650-750 miles. We head out early (before 5 am) and try and get to our first overnight by 6 pm but likely sooner. I personally have no issue putting in those days and we don't have kids so it's just the wife and a couple of miniature schnauzers who pretty much sleep the whole way.

We have lunches ready to go and eat at roadside rests. Fuel stops are usually timed around restroom breaks.

So while I prefer to keep it at 600-650 we'll go 700ish if we can get to a decent campground for our first overnight. When we go to the black hills each year it's 660 each way and we do that in a day without issue.

As others have mentioned bad wind conditions and other things outside of your control will shorten your day and is something you'll need to account for. Having pulled across Wyoming in some pretty bad winds I can attest that 475 miles of that was about all I had in me and I was thrilled we were stopping in Spearfish SD.
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:13 AM   #55

This thread post is misplaced in maintenance and repair.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 07:38 PM   #56

You are the limit, not the trailer. Dont drive more than you are comfortable.
jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 05:45 AM   #57

My longest towing so far is about 375 miles. About 7 hours but using a diesel at 50% towing capacity was a very relaxing drive. Easily could go much further. Just took a trip in the same truck to Tennessee and did both ends of about 825 miles in 13 hours. Not towing though.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 12:50 AM   #58

Just towed from Disney’s Fort Wilderness to Gulfport MS and that was 670 miles. Think that is my longest for a day, took about 9 hours with one bathroom stop and 1 fuel stop.
MadJoker TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 06:34 PM   #59

Only as far as my next destination. This summer my first destination will be 8 hours by google, so more like 10 hours.
TheB2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:18 AM   #60

We normally do around 400. With my two youngest being 4 and 7, that is about the ideal comfort zone.

We will be attempting to do 650 miles in one shot on the Saturday before Labor Day - going from Iowa to the Blackhills. Gonna need to be on the ball and get left really early to make that work!

A few years back, my oldest son found a steal of a deal on a pickup truck on Craiglist. Problem was it was in Fort Benton, MT. He didn't even have his learners permit yet, so I did all the driving. We left at 9am on a Friday morning and drove straight through. Took the back seats out of the e350 van, and set up two cots in the back. We pulled off at rest areas and took short naps when we needed to. Rented a U-Haul tow dolly in Great Falls, picked up the truck, and pulled the it back to Iowa. Got back home at 9am on Monday morning.

It was right at 2800 miles round trip (we took some scenic highways that added quite a few miles to the trip). We averaged 933 miles per day for three days. Don't know how we did it, but we actually had time to take the badlands loop, get a buffalo burger in Great Falls, stop at Mt. Rushmore, and make a quick stop at Wall Drug. Was a great time of bonding! But, it was exhausting.

I think it did permanent damage to my ability to drive long distances. I just don't have it in me anymore.

2015 Jayco 26BHS
2019 Chevy Express 3500 15-Passenger w/ 6.0L
charlesfarm is offline   Reply With Quote