Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-21-2021, 01:58 PM   #1

How to care for Jayflight Matte areas?

Does anyone have a good chemical or some kind of treatment for the skirt and matte areas for the Jayflight series? We bought a Jayflight 24RBS in June of 2020 and the dealer upsold Permaplate treatment for the outside of the trailer - well, the permaplate pretty much ruined the finish on the black skirt and grey matte finish areas on the trailer - they came out all splotchy - Permaplate came out and attempted to remove it but I want to know if anyone has discovered a good maintenance treatment for these areas? (Armorall, etc- some kind of treatment that is easy to use) to keep those areas looking good
Sonpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 07:05 AM   #2

Sounds like you paid for a product that did not work.Did you get a refund or are they going to fix the finish?

Is the finish ruined?

Pics would help.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokurt View Post
Sounds like you paid for a product that did not work.Did you get a refund or are they going to fix the finish?

Is the finish ruined?

Pics would help.
Yes they gave me a refund on the product, and pretty much removed the product from the matte areas but now I'm trying to get something that will be good to maintain the Matte areas of the rig and if someone else has found a good product for those areas
Sonpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:17 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
Don't use any Armorall type products.... when nit gets in the sun, it could turn it different colors. Best thing, keep 'em clean
Old 02-25-2021, 08:02 AM   #5

Aerospace 303 is a good product for keeping plastics looking good in my experience. In fact, I use it inside AND outside my vehicles. I don't apply as often as I probably should, but when I do, it looks good. And the primary advantage is that it is a UV blocker, which is important to preserve plastics in our blistering S. TX sun. It doesn't last forever, but if I were on a "fixed" schedule, I would do about 2 applications per year.

Does wonders on my Jeep's black fender flares; makes them look pretty darn good for their age (27 years)... I also use it in place of ArmorAll (which I haven't used since the early '90s and will never use again) on the inside plastic/vinyl surfaces of my vehicles.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:07 AM   #6

I'm Searching Too!

I'm dealing with similar issues with the matte finish parts of our 2020 SLX. I used automotive wax on those parts, once last May. My mistake! I was still trying to tooth brush out the dried wax from the matte finish parts even as I closed the trailer in November 2020. Auto wax works great on the smooth aluminum exterior portions but not so well on the rough matte portions. I've asked the forum before and the dealer and Jayco Mfg. No answers yet. I did consider an armour all type spray but I see comments above negating that move. Please share the solution if you find one. Thanks
JDug66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:12 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Aerospace 303 is a good product for keeping plastics looking good in my experience......snip
X2

I've used it for years, and I purchase it by the gallon (cheaper) which will last me a few years protecting my vehicles and RV's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonpower View Post
Does anyone have a good chemical or some kind of treatment for the skirt and matte areas for the Jayflight series?.......snip
I've found that Dawn cleans the matte/black metal surfaces a little better than some wash & wax products on my 24RBS....., then I apply the Aerospace 303 lightly to the dry/cool surface (not in direct sunlight).

I use Meguiar's Ultimate Wash & Wax (Hydrophobic Polymer Technology) on the aluminum siding with great results. If the aluminum side walls have excess road film/grit I'll wash with Dawn first, then immediately follow with the Meguiar's.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chemicals, matte areas, waxes