Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-17-2017, 11:54 AM   #1

How to Replace In-line Fuse, @ battery

Good morning,
I discovered that my inline fuse& holder, is completely corroded, the actual fuse inside the light green inline fuse holder, which connects to the positive side going to my battery... This was caused I am sure because the battery was completely toast, leaking acid all over the place before I acquired TT. I replaced the battery but I didn't realize this fuse was even there.

My small TT is a 30 amp plug in, I'm guessing I need to get a new 30 amp fuse but I also need the holder,
*Is there a specific type of holder classification, or name that I need?
I am not looking to put any kind of circuit breaker switch, just want to replace set-up I have.

*Current setup is the red wire goes from the battery to the fuse holder top, which pulls apart & there is the fuse inside, then out the bottom of the fuse holder is a black wire.

Also, I need step by step instructions on how to remove the old, and replace with a new.
I would prefer not to have to solder any of the wires together so maybe use the crimping method? Because I have the tools for that.

Thanks so much for your help 🌞

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain

2004 Jayco Jayfeather Sport 165
2004 Lexus GX470
Sport165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:19 PM   #2
Site Team

You can buy a new fuse holder at any good auto parts store. They're nothing special to RV's. You'll need one capable of a 30 amp circuit with 12 gauge wire attached. It doesn't matter if the fuse is the old glass style, or the newer ATC/ATO style, A fuse is a fuse. Any good parts guy worth his salt can help you. This is just an idea of what we use.https://www.amazon.com/Attwood-Line-.../dp/B003EEV1YS

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
You can buy a new fuse holder at any good auto parts store. They're nothing special to RV's. You'll need one capable of a 30 amp circuit with 12 gauge wire attached. It doesn't matter if the fuse is the old glass style, or the newer ATC/ATO style, A fuse is a fuse. Any good parts guy worth his salt can help you. This is just an idea of what we use.https://www.amazon.com/Attwood-Line-.../dp/B003EEV1YS
Thank you JFlightRisk,
I currently have 10 gauge wire there, so I will try to find what I saw in your link, but with the 10 ga wire.

May I ask though? Why do I need to purchase extra wire? I'm not any type of electrician by any means, but don't I just cut away the old inline fuse and splice the new one in its place using those little plastic connector thingies that you cramp the wire when you put it inside? For the connection? I think I would then cover the connectors with electrical tape.
This is why I was asking for instructions. I'm unsure of the actual details of doing it but I have an idea.
Anyways thanks again for the info& link

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain

2004 Lexus GX470
Old 07-17-2017, 12:52 PM   #4

Just a quick safety question also, I've disconnected the battery, the TT is plugged into my house 30 amp rv plug in, do I need to completely unplug the TT before I cut this wire or is the wire dead right now, because it's not hooked up to the battery currently?
Also, regarding the wire gauge, is it okay to splice 12 gauge wiring to the current 10 gauge wire?
Thanks everybody

2004 Lexus GX470
Old 07-17-2017, 12:57 PM   #5

You won't need any extra wire, just cut close to the old fuse holder and the new one will have 6-8 inches of wire on both sides I would use some type of weatherproof connector to keep the splice from getting corroded.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:00 PM   #6

As long as the battery is disconnected you are fine to cut the wire. The 30amp fuse holder will come with the correct wire size, if you have 10ga and the fuse is 12ga not a problem.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:06 PM   #7

I found a fuse holder for stereo systems is made water tight and is reasonably priced. They can be purchased for about any gauge wire and install without crimps. Something similar to this -- https://www.amazon.com/Safe-Fuse-Hol...e+holder&psc=1
2lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lane View Post
I found a fuse holder for stereo systems is made water tight and is reasonably priced. They can be purchased for about any gauge wire and install without crimps. Something similar to this -- https://www.amazon.com/Safe-Fuse-Hol...e+holder&psc=1
That looks like it would make for a quick repair but it does not say Weatherproof or for Outdoor Use so I would be careful.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:19 PM   #9

I just picked the first example I found. Go to a local stereo shop, they'll fix you up.
2lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:35 PM   #10

Either one of these will do.
Attached Images

2018 Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
The items pictured come in different gauge wire to match what you need. You can use water proof butt splices although soldering and covering solder joints with shrink tubing is preferable.

2018 Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:53 PM   #12
Site Team

I would go to an auto supply and get a new 30 amp fuse holder that uses the new flat fuses. I have seen them with a weatherproof cover. Very easy to check and change. It comes with pigtails for splicing.

https://www.amazon.com/Z-Auto-Waterp...at+fuse+holder
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
Thank you Ruth, unfortunately the pictures did not show up for me and I tried to click on them too.
However, I do appreciate your advice and if I had a soldering tool then I would attempt to do that but right now I'm trying to save every single penny I can to make this upcoming 4 week roadtrip/camping adventure workout!!
🌞

2004 Lexus GX470
Old 07-17-2017, 04:47 PM   #14

Thanks for info!!!

Thank you everyone for the information, my plan is to purchase a waterproof 30 amp fuse holder with 10gauge pigtails 👧
+ 2 connectors.
I will splice & crimp... & tape.

Thanks for Amazon links Also!!
I will buy extra fuses, after I check what's in the inside fuse box. I never realized how important it is to carry backup fuses and also bulbs for the exterior lights etc.

*I need to buy multimeter to check my battery-- I found one on Amazon for around $12 but somebody told me I needed one that cost at least $30 if I want a decent quality... Here is the link to the product I was looking at. It's in my price range! I also want to be able to check my house battery as well as check light fixtures in my house that I want to change out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...GWBBIGK9&psc=1

2004 Lexus GX470
Old 07-17-2017, 05:03 PM   #15

Yes Sport165, that will work fine for what you need to do. If you have a Harbor Freight in your area, they often give inexpensive multi-meters away with any merchandise purchase. I actually have one of their "freebies" in my RV tool bag.
2019 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax - SRW - 4WD - CC - LTZ - 8' Bed
Reese M5 20K
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:59 PM   #16

Here is what I swapped to:
https://www.amazon.com/Stereo-Circui...mp+breaker+car

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
30 amp. electrical, battery, inline fuse, instructions, replacement