Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-22-2020, 01:13 PM   #1

Hub and drum replacement?

Hi all, I'm going to attempt to change out the dexter nev-r-adjust brakes this spring with a bearing repack as well. What about the hub and drums how often do they need replacing?

My trailer is a 2012 23.5' 5th wheel with approx. 15k miles on it. I've had the bearings greased three times couple the ez lube method and another at an rv joint by hand. I have zero idea how bad a shape the drums would be in. What do you think? Thanks.
teevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 04:48 PM   #2

I looked into brakes thinking about an eventual brake job and discovered a backing plate assembly (plate, shoes, springs, magnet) was about the same $$ as just the shoes.
The drums usually come with races, bearings and seals (all China made). I don’t replace the drums until there’s no meat left to turn them or there’s significant scoring on the braking surface.
By “hub” if you’re referring to the spindle I don’t think they are replaceable, a new axle is necessary but spindles see very little wear and damage from a spun bearing or some other bearing failure can sometimes be repaired with a file to the point that replacement isn’t necessary.
IMHO China made cups and cones are not equal to US made Timken in quality BUT my original China made ones after 6 years and 27k miles looked great the last time I repacked them. In my spares box I do have a set of US made Timkens ready, just in case.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 06:51 PM   #3

Yeah I was talking more the drum but they refer to it as hub and drum.

I'll likely just get new bearings and seals when I do the brakes just in case there not looking to good. Thanks.
teevman is offline   Reply With Quote