Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-29-2018, 02:22 PM   #1

Hummingbird roof leak

I will be requesting warranty work for my 2018 Hummingbird 17RB. I noticed water dripping from the ceiling panels seam trim. It may be coming from the tv or radio antennas. I also found moisture at the under cabinet 12 VDC jack and Flurion entertainment cables. This leak seems to have damaged the Radio/DVD entertainment unit. I will be requesting Jayco warranty service for leak repair and entertainment unit replacement. My question is if anyone has had any issues with Jayco honoring warranty service for a TT that has a few after market Mods? (2 AGM Battery bank, Victron BVM-712, Progressive hardwired power monitor, under body frame sewer hose storage)
gnbkittery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 01:04 PM   #2

I don't see a problem, You didn't do anything to the roof. I get up there and seal around antenna area! The roof is a one piece fiberglass, that shouldn't leak! We have 2017 RB
hummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 01:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummy View Post
I don't see a problem, You didn't do anything to the roof.
Depends on where the leak is. Owner is responsible to inspect and reseal as needed every 6 months. Failing to do that can create a "denied" claim
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:24 PM   #4

Plan on not having your camper for a long while. We took our brand new Jayco 2018 Rocky Mountain Edition Jay in on September 11th for a roof leak(and the fridge door fell off too - which we originally thought was cute). Still not back in our possession and they say months to go. It so happens that they built ours wrong - but ours is a "one and a million" manufacturer defect - so we are told. Jayco is not doing anything to make this right either. Pretty sad first time RV'ers who got their first trailer out for a total of 2 weeks. Sure hope that you don't have the same issue as we do! Best of luck
Lindswick2613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:16 PM   #5

Gnbkittery, I just ran across your post on this and have had the exact same issue with our new 2018 Starcraft Satellite 17RB, which only took about 3 weeks to get the leak repaired, with the replacement wood strip inside taking over 2 weeks to get the correct color from Jayco. My area Starcraft dealer (in Western NC) corrected the leak by recaulking both sides of the one-piece roof, all covered by warranty! I will happily use them for all my camper work.
Partsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:34 AM   #6

Drop the interior A/C cover and see if the four mounting bolts for the unit are tight.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Depends on where the leak is. Owner is responsible to inspect and reseal as needed every 6 months. Failing to do that can create a "denied" claim
If its a bad sealant. That is considered maintenance like Grumpy said. However you dealer might still fix it for you.
mia389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:31 AM   #8

Thanks to all who have replied to this post. I have taken into account all the advice and suggestions you have provided. Here in Maine “Glory” our 17RB Hummingbird has been parked and at times buried in snow or drenched in torrential rains. I have been monitoring the water entry area every couple days and have not noticed any more water in the cabinet wiring area for the FM antenna and Winard roof top TV antenna. My thoughts now are that the water my have came in through the TV antenna plastic clam shell housing. I think since the first time I noticed moisture was during a 15 day trip last fall where we drove through heavy weather for several days. Although we have some water damaged electronics (Furion entertainment center, Winegard RV-7032 tv power supply wall plate and possibly my Victron BMV-712 battery monitor (still trouble shooting battery monitor) I have decided not to claim warranty repair due to some of the Jayco warranty horror stories. The only dealing I have had with the dealership I purchased our TT (missing Hummingbird hub cap and missing Furion remote) has not been resolved a year later. Since my wife and I are not TV watchers while camping the replacement of the entertainment center is not on our priority list. I feel with my engineering and trades background I will take care of the many (including slide drawer and trim falling apart) repairs my self. I plan on removing the TV antenna and FM antenna this spring to open roof space for “SunPower” flexible solar panels.

I would like to specially thank “01tundra” for all your mod posts. You give us Hummingbird owners a look at all the possibilities for our 100 square foot homes.
gnbkittery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:02 AM   #9

That’s true on the sealant being a maintenance item, but since our camper was only 2 weeks old, Jayco came through for us with replacing the entire roof sealant at the dealer.
Partsbob is offline   Reply With Quote