Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-26-2017, 07:08 PM   #1

Hurricane woes

Purchased a new Jayco flight 28RLS last February. Well 2 weeks ago Irma came through and flooded the house, cars and Trailer. The "salt water" was to the top of the wheels on the trailer, above the black plastic but stopped about 2" below the floor line. I have the thermal insulation package so entire underneath of trailer is covered with that black plastic and can't see what the water hit. I worry that there is insulation under the plastic that took on water but can't see. I went under the trailer today and when I push up on the plastic some water does drip out of the holes in the plastic. Can someone help with two bits of information? With the Thermal Insulation package, Is there insulation or other critical components hiding right above the plastic and also, electric brakes, will they be a problem after being submerged in salt water for a while? Thanks for the help.
Coastal Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:18 PM   #2
Site Team

The insulation they use on the glacier pkg is foil covered on both sides and something that bubble wrap inside. If it's the same salt water won't ruin it. I would want to get the under neath removed and inspect for damage to other moving parts or wires.

Don't know about brakes but I think the entire brake assembly can be purchased and replaced. I would do that if mine.

I would be concerned for the wheel bearings and wiring also.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:23 PM   #3

My concern would be the possibility that the water got higher than it appears it did, which would get your floor wet and cause damage. Water damage and I bet especially salt water will often total a trailer.

Is your trailer insured against the damage? Has it been inspected by an adjuster?
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:37 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
To do a good assessment you have to drop the underbelly (chloroplast) it isn't a hard job to do. Have done this many times. The underbelly has a hollow core so there would be coming some water from that and the low sitting areas.
The brake assemblies has to be checked as do the bearings. Probably cleaning would do the job. Brake assemblies with bearings are not very expensive. This has to be taken care of a.s.a.p. as saltwater creates a rusty environment.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:36 AM   #5

Thanks for the info. Trailer is insured, but right now wife and I are living in it as house is a gutted mess. Still waiting on the flood insurance adjuster to show up. No way we can send it somewhere to have it checked out, so I will end up doing the work. I did pull one of the hubs off and bearings are good, only very rusty brake parts. As suggested, I will block up the trailer and remove all hubs and inspect and replace parts as needed. Not looking forward to removing underbelly, but agree, it has to be done. If anything like the house, mold and mildew is growing under there. Again, thanks everyone for the helpful information. I will try to let you'll know what I find when underside is opened up, but that may be a while as I have quite a few items ahead of this on my to do list.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:54 AM   #6

I would pull the underbelly (chloroplast) and get it drying, otherwise mold might move in. Also water has a tendency to weep, so the floor boarding might be wet on the underside which as you are very familiar with is food for mold.

Trailer brakes and axles are not designed to be submerged in water. so I would suspect that they will need maintenance, possible replacement. Electrically, thee probably is not much under the TT, except the tank sensors.

Someone posted a while back that they had a similar situation with their TT , water into the underbelly, but not up to the floor, with Harvey, and the insurance Company totaled the TT.

Good Luck, it your living in the unit, I would pull the underbelly and get it drying for your own health.

Wish you and your family the best of luck in a tough time.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:29 AM   #7

There's another member who had similar flooding of his trailer and the adjuster totaled it. He had Geico insurance iirc.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:45 PM   #8

So sorry for all you are going through. Maybe you should contact your insurer before you do anything just so you are on file? They are probably too overwhelmed to move quickly.

I'd also suggest taking pictures of everything you do.

All the best!
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 01:03 PM   #9
Site Team

A problem that you may encounter with the insurance company is that you are living in the TT and they may not write it off as totaled. I would probably call for the claims adjuster to come out (some insurance companies have a strict time frame for reporting these things) and move out of the TT for the inspection. Once they have completed the inspection without anyone living in it, move back in.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:29 PM   #10

Yep, calling the insurance Company and see what they say before I do anything else. Good tip, looks like I'll be moving out for a few days, that makes sense.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:22 PM   #11

Update, called insurance couple weeks back and was told today the trailer claim will be a total loss. They advised it is less about the value of damages but more about the unit will never be repaired properly. Guess I will need to go shopping soon.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Scott View Post
Update, called insurance couple weeks back and was told today the trailer claim will be a total loss. They advised it is less about the value of damages but more about the unit will never be repaired properly. Guess I will need to go shopping soon.

Good to know. So....when do we see pics of the new trailer ? LOL [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-26-2017, 06:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Scott View Post
Don't take the DW...it'll cost you more!
Old 10-26-2017, 06:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
Don't take the DW...it'll cost you more!

Lol Dan! Of course, don’t take DW when shopping for a truck either. Otherwise you won’t get all the extra bells and whistles that she may think “unnecessary “ [emoji23]

.....that’s how I ended up with a Platinum F350 [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk