Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2014, 10:24 AM   #1

Insect problem in 2014 Jayco

Below is what I sent Jayco, and their response. The dealer I bought from is ten hours away, and he said to get a quote from an exterminator and they may approve. He would not talk about any damage...I am at a loss. Anybody had any similar problems? Any sugestions?

I need immediate attention with an insect infestation in my new Jayco Seneca. I bought in mid-January from ( XX ). I have had the coach garage kept since I bought, and on Saturday (3/29/14), I decided we were past the point of getting any more freezing temperatures. So I got the rv out of the garage and put near my house to put water in the tank, and try out everything. I saw a few big red ants. Then some with wings. Then something that looks like termites. I spent the whole weekend vacuuming all that I saw. I decided to leave the unit outside for a few days, since I didn't want the bugs in my garage. I had to go out of town for business (In fact I am still in New York working). We were getting the unit ready for an upcoming Disney World trip. My wife just called me and sent some pictures and videos of the problem now. There are hundreds- if not thousands of them now. I do not know where they are coming from inside the unit. I need this taken care of as soon as possible. I'm not sure if there is any damage or not yet, but I need someone to take care of this problem. (For information: this problem existed before I bought my motorhome, and this is very serious)

From Jayco:
Good Morning,

Thank you for contacting Jayco Customer Service.

Unfortunately the warranty does not cover insect infestations. You will need to contact your local exterminator for an insect infestation.

If you need further assistance please contact Jayco Customer Service.

Sincerely,

Kristy Brown
Jayco, Inc.
Jayco Customer Service

ECGManager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:14 PM   #2

Personally, I'd collect a few of the ants in a jar of alcohol and check with an exterminator or agricultrual extension office to see if they are a local problem. If you have a way of determining where the ants came from I think that may help your case but I'd also foot the bill for an exterminator before the problem gets worse. Did your dealer document (in writing) the issue on delivery?

Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:26 PM   #3

Carpenter ants are a possibility, hopefully not. They could be coming from inside the walls, if there is wet wood somewhere. Carpenter ants eat wet wood and are destructive like termites. You can hear them chewing in the walls if its a bad enough infestation.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:02 AM   #4

Iraqvet05, the dealer said nothing.
ECGManager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:00 PM   #5

ECG, you mentioned in your letter to Jayco that the issue existed before you purchased the motorhome. When you mentioned this to the dealer prior to purchase, they did not document the issue or do anything about it?

Personally I would not have accepted delivery with an insect issue.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heady View Post
ECG, you mentioned in your letter to Jayco that the issue xisted before you purchased the motorhome. When you mentioned this to the dealer prior to purchase, they did not document the issue or do anything about it?

I agree with that comment 100% and the dealer shouldn't have accepted it either.

Having been at the factory and the fact the unit was probably built and delivered when the temps in Indiana were at freezing or below, unless it's been in the dealers inventory for a while, I doubt very much they came along for the ride.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heady View Post
ECG, you mentioned in your letter to Jayco that the issue existed before you purchased the motorhome. When you mentioned this to the dealer prior to purchase, they did not document the issue or do anything about it?

I did not see the op mention that there was a problem befor taking delivery. Did I miss that somewhere?
TakeItEasy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECGManager View Post
. (For information: this problem existed before I bought my motorhome, and this is very serious)
This is from his original post
Old 04-09-2014, 08:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
This is from his original post
Yep there it is. Thanks.
TakeItEasy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:18 PM   #10

That's a bummer for sure. Sorry.

exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote