Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-13-2015, 10:27 PM   #1

Instant hot water heater

Well, 1 month into 3 here in Mesa, and have a second problem. I started a different thread about the ceiling lights, but that is being resolved. This morning the wife found we had no hot water. The instant water heater, which we have had no problem adjusting the temp as many have had, stopped working. Checked it out with some help From Girard, it's model # GSWH-1M. The tech could only take me through verifying that I had 12v power to the unit.

I know that some units have a hard to find reset button, but believe me, mine doesn't. If I make the micro switch that verifys air flow the burner will light. Of course I imeaditally released that. Seems the unit either isn't sending the signal to the fan motor, or the motor is bad??

I called the dealer that I had bought it from in IL, and he found a mobile outfit through the route 66 plan that is coming out tomorrow to check it out. Hope he can trouble shoot it, and have the parts on hand to fix it. It sucks having these problems, but nice that everyone is really trying to get them fixed.
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:00 AM   #2

On demand water heaters are great .. too bad they are so unreliable. Myself I think I will stick with the tried and true tanks for now..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
On demand water heaters are great .. too bad they are so unreliable. Myself I think I will stick with the tried and true tanks for now..
Same here! Great concept, but "not ready for prime time" in an RV.

Sorry to hear about your problems, but glad you have a good support network. Hope you can get it resolved to your satisfaction soon. In the mean time, looks like you'll be heating water on the stove or campfire.
Old 02-14-2015, 01:05 PM   #4

The Girard's have been notorious for having problems but don't paint other brands with the Girard brush. The sad thing about the Girard's is they were so cheap, most RV manufacturers chose them to install in their RVs, helping to flood the market with them. This contributed to undeserved bad reputation that all RV tankless water heaters now have. Girard isn't the only company to put out RV tankless water heaters, however,

I've seen only a couple of complaints on the Precision Temp RV500s (and one was from a guy who bought it used from a mobile repair guy who claimed to have removed it from an RV owned by an elderly woman who wanted it removed because it scared her whenever it fired up) and numerous reports from people who were happy with it.

Atwood has a tankless unit that was designed in partnership with Precision Temp. I haven't heard much about them but, then again, I haven't heard any complaints, either.

Truma is too new to the American market for much to be known about them but they appear to be similar in operation to the RV500s and the Atwoods.
Old 02-14-2015, 01:09 PM   #5

Here is the location of the secret reset on my Girard. It is a very small button on the white connector. Good luck with your unit.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 06:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Roamer View Post
Here is the location of the secret reset on my Girard. It is a very small button on the white connector. Good luck with your unit.
What model is yours?? Mine is a GSWH-1M and has no reset button. I think with mine you turn the switch off for 5 sec. Doesn't matter anyway, It didn't work before the repair man came out, I explained to him what I had checked out. He probed around with a continuity probe and found the voltages were all OK. Had me turn on the water and it worked?????? Go Figure???
Old 02-14-2015, 07:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDad View Post
What model is yours?? Mine is a GSWH-1M and has no reset button. I think with mine you turn the switch off for 5 sec. Doesn't matter anyway, It didn't work before the repair man came out, I explained to him what I had checked out. He probed around with a continuity probe and found the voltages were all OK. Had me turn on the water and it worked?????? Go Figure???
My Girard manual says it is a GSWH-1 (no "M"). Can't look at the actual unit now because our Greyhawk is at the dealer's service department. They are working through the list of items noted during our PDI last August plus other issues noticed while camping over the fall.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
Old 02-14-2015, 11:09 PM   #8

I think the -1 is an older model with a reset button. I think??
Old 07-03-2015, 05:57 PM   #9

Newbie here. Do you run the water heater all the time while parked?
childers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:01 PM   #10

Went to fill the water tanks. After about 15 min water started coming from underneath. When I pushed the test button it shows the black and gray tanks as a green light but the holding as red. ???
childers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by childers View Post
Newbie here. Do you run the water heater all the time while parked?
If you have the Girard tankless WH, then you'd most likely leave it on 24x7. I do.

But those who have the WH with a six gallon tank may operate differently. They will have to let you know the best on/off sequence for that style.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
Old 07-04-2015, 09:36 AM   #12

Our wouldn't light during our first week outing after several days of normal use. Like everything, I just played around with connections to make sure all were tight and found the "secret reset" button. It reset and worked fine the rest of the trip. The manual really wasn't any help.
AugerN is offline   Reply With Quote