Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-25-2018, 07:20 PM   #1

intermittent water flow when boondocking

Hi folks,

My rig:
RV: 2014 Jayco Greyhawk 31 ds
Water pump: "4008 RV by-pass pump" by Shurflo
Tankless water heater: Girard products, model gshw-1m

When dry camping and using the water pump, it works intermittently. When I turn on the pump using one of the indoor 'on' switches, water will run just fine for a few minutes or so; it will even produce hot water just fine. With no warning or sound, the water flow will quit. The pump remains on as indicated by a red lit switch, but the pump produces no noise- I can not hear it running. If I leave the pump in the 'on' position and walk away for a few minutes, and come back to the sink and try again, the tap still will not produce water. But if I turn the pump switch 'off', walk away for a few minutes, come back to the kitchen, and turn the pump back on, then open the tap, it will work fine for a few minutes. Until the whole cycle repeats. This has proven true for the kitchen sink, shower, bath sink, and toilet.

I don’t know if it matters, but I only turn the water pump on when I need it, since I am try to conserve house batteries while boondocking using a crappy old battery. I am getting new house batteries this week, so energy conservation will be less critical. Should I turn the pump on and just leave it on for the duration of the boondock?

I have read other forums and took the following actions:

I have inspected the entire area around the water pump (located in the pass-through basement storage area) and found no leaks, not even a tiny drop.

I have inspected indoor plumbing around kitchen and bath and found no leaks or concerns.

I have read other folks suggest this sort of problem may be a result of water draining back into the tank, but I do not know how to check for that.

I am living in my RV fulltime so I am not in a position to drain and dry things for a several days. So far this has just been an annoyance, not a major burden. But I would like to get it fixed. I have looked at buying a new pump, which seems very doable. But before I spend a few hundred (supplies, labor, etc), I figured I would see if y’all had other advice.

Thanks.
TN Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 05:37 PM   #2

Can you bypass the water heater to see if is a bad valve leading to water heater?

I wouldn't think pump draw would be significant if left on and no leaks for it to cycle frequently.

Tags
water pump