Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-09-2023, 10:58 AM   #1

Is Duratain Worth The Price

I am buying my first new Jayco this week and the RV salesperson offered me Duratain for an additional $1682 (in NE Pennsylvania)Is it worth the price? Are there alternate products that I can use myself that are less expensive?
Thanks
Tommyb107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 11:11 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new trailer!!

I assume you are talking about VC-1 external protective coating https://portal.duratain.com/homenew/...%20and%20smell. That is a good price compared to what I paid 3 years ago to have my new 41 ft fifth wheel trailer professionally ceramic coated. It is not long lasting, in my opinion. I have professionally cleaned and hand waxed once or twice a year. Same question came up on this thread: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/dura...ng-303914.html.

Let the forum know what you decided to do and if you bought it, how it looks.
Old 04-09-2023, 11:24 AM   #3
Site Team

I've not heard of that product until now, but I'm always a little skeptical about what a salesman is trying to sell. My first question (after looking at their website) is how many of the four products are you getting for your money? Just the outside?

At first, it sounds just like the Diamondcote product that Ziebart applies to cars and trucks. I will admit to getting this done at Ziebart when we bought our truck, but the dealer paid for it as part of our deal, along with the Rhinoliner in the box.

The next thing I noticed, is the cleaning products they recommend are also made by them, on a different website.

If you're getting all four processes for the money, outside, inside, underneath, and awning, and you're going to keep your trailer for years, the choice is up to you and your budget. It sounds like a lot of money to me, but that's just me. I can get a lot of ceramic wax for that $1682. Perhaps some more folks will chime in with their thoughts on it.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 11:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA View Post
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new trailer!!

I assume you are talking about VC-1 external protective coating https://portal.duratain.com/homenew/...%20and%20smell. That is a good price compared to what I paid 3 years ago to have my new 41 ft fifth wheel trailer professionally ceramic coated. It is not long lasting, in my opinion. I have professionally cleaned and hand waxed once or twice a year. Same question came up on this thread: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/dura...ng-303914.html.

Let the forum know what you decided to do and if you bought it, how it looks.

Thanks for the info. This is for VC-1 VC-2 VC-3 and VC-4 on a 27 footer so I'm guessing it's a steal at that price. Thanks again
Tommyb107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 12:40 PM   #5

All of the dealer ad ons I’ve dealt with have been to the dealers and finance company’s advantage. Sometimes it’s hard to say “No” in the excitement of the purchase.

I’ve never heard if that company you asked about, but I would bet you could get the same thing done for less by an RV detailer.

If you are financing the true cost of that service will be much higher than the price you were quoted.
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 12:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyb107 View Post
Thanks for the info. This is for VC-1 VC-2 VC-3 and VC-4 on a 27 footer so I'm guessing it's a steal at that price. Thanks again
Have you seen many ten year old trailers with bad exteriors? I've seen those processes and they look like solutions looking for a problem.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 01:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyb107 View Post
I agree with the others that anytime a salesman is pushing something it is to their advantage. If it seems to good to be true it usually is. I always decline any "extras" a dealer offers unless I negotiate it directly into the deal on my terms. I NEVER accept anything at the signing table other that what has been negotiated.
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 06:52 PM   #8

I got Duratain on my last TT. I can't say if it did anything when I sold it 3 years later. My previous TT was 10+ years old and did not have Duratain and it's finish was fine when I sold it. I live in PA and store my camper inside during the Winter months, but it sits outside from April to October.

I usually do a quick wash when I first get the unit out of storage and just before I put it away for the Winter. Lately I've been using this on my vehicle. I like it because it literally sprays on and wipes off. No buffing or rubbing.

https://www.amazon.com/Detailing-Pro...14&sr=8-1&th=1
LukeDagny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 07:00 PM   #9

All aftermarket profit centers for the dealer. I bet he also told you how it could be included in the financing and how little it would change your payment. You will pay 2-3 times that over time with interest. I would pass in it and shop afterwards for it if you think you need it.
Retired @ PCB
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 07:45 AM   #10
Lost in the Woods

I've tried Duratain and honestly, it's been worth every penny for me. The protection it provides for my car's and RV exterior and interior is impressive. It's saved me money in the long run by preventing damage and wear. Plus, the peace of mind it offers is priceless.
Meowmute is offline   Reply With Quote