Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-12-2017, 09:55 AM   #1

Is it possible to paint the ceiling?

Hi,
I'm in the process of nearly-completely renovating my '87 Jayco. One item I'm interested in is the possibility of painting the ceiling. The ceiling is of a material that doesn't look like paint or primer will adhere well, and doesn't look as if it could be easily prepped. A good friend, manager of a Sherman-Williams also noted the same. However, over the 30 years this trailer has been in existence, the ceiling has yellow-ed a bit, making it "ugly" if I were to paint the entire interior.
Thanks,
Dan
Old 08-12-2017, 10:04 AM   #2

I am surprised at your friends answer, there are paints to adhere to almost any material, especially if you use a primer. The key is to match the material to the primer and prepare the surface so it sticks. i would go to a local hardware store that sells paint and find an old timer who might be able to help. The problem with "retail" paint stores is that they exist to serve the residential market; not a slam, but their knowledge is limited. I used to build homes and remodel in S.F. and there was never a surface we found that we could not paint. One friend needed to cover cloth and the paint store sold him a primer that soaked in. The finished job was awesome, a textured wall that enhanced the decor.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
I am surprised at your friends answer, there are paints to adhere to almost any material, especially if you use a primer. The key is to match the material to the primer and prepare the surface so it sticks. i would go to a local hardware store that sells paint and find an old timer who might be able to help. The problem with "retail" paint stores is that they exist to serve the residential market; not a slam, but their knowledge is limited. I used to build homes and remodel in S.F. and there was never a surface we found that we could not paint. One friend needed to cover cloth and the paint store sold him a primer that soaked in. The finished job was awesome, a textured wall that enhanced the decor.
Agree... go to a Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams and ask for a high adhesion primer. These are used to paint laminate without sanding (I recommend scuffing it anyway) and not peel off!

2009 Feather EXP 19H
mabelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:23 AM   #4

I am also surprised that a manager at SW replied that way.

2009 Feather EXP 19H
mabelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:34 PM   #5

We just did this to our walls and cabinets. Glidden Gripper primer and then SW paint. We didn't scuff anything, but it wouldn't hurt to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bertimus2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 02:31 PM   #6

When in doubt, test a small area in an area where it would not show if it didn't stick or cover well.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote