Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-15-2015, 08:57 AM   #1

Question Is it worth fixing?

We bought what I think is a 99 qwest 10 pop up and after getting it home and checking a couple of areas more closely, the front and rear walls of the box. The wood in the front wall is completely rotted out, including the interior board as well. How hard is it going to be to rebuild this? I am fairly handy and do have probably enough tools. I will assume from looking at the rest of the wood in the and around the area the front wall was composed of 1x2 wood and 1/4 inch plywood fascia. I will need to completely remove what is there this week and pull the flooring back and check the floor as well. Anything else I should think or worry about just yet? Anyway thanks for any help that you may be able to offer I appreciate it. TNmedic
tnmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:49 AM   #2

Rotten wood can be fixed. Whether it is worth fixing depends on how much work and cost you think is reasonable.

Since you have already bought it - and assuming there is no warranty nor ability to return it and get your $ back - then it seems like you will not be out anything extra to investigate and see how bad the problem is so you can evaluate what you want to do.

Hopefully, your trailer is aluminum sided? If so, that will make the repairs easier to do as you can remove the siding in the affected areas, replace the rotten wood, and replace the siding. Which all reads easier than it would be to do. Don't forget to check out the roof.

Good luck, and if you decide to proceed with repairs please post back with pictures and narrative. And also questions, someone here will know the answers.

Here is a long repair thread (clicky) which may give you inspiration.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote