Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-31-2015, 12:56 PM   #1

Jay Flight SLX Enclosed Underbelly leak

As we've moved into the rainy weather over the last month or so I've noticed an accumulation of water in the enclosed underbelly of my 195RB Baja. First noticed it when we went to hook up for final trip of the season. It had been sitting for about a month since our last trip and we'd had some pretty good rain squalls. I had to lift the tongue a little higher than usual and that's when I saw about a lot of water running out from the underbelly just forward of the axle. I'm guessing it was a gallon or more.

The underbelly material is it not flat - above the axle it's bowed up towards the floor and forward of the axle it sags a bit in two different places. There does appear to be a drain hole that was drilled but it's not properly placed given the way things sag. You have to lift the tongue up fairly high to get the water to run out.

So it's raining again today and I decided to see if I could figure out what is going on. I have a pretty good idea so I'd thought I'd put it out there and see if anyone else has had a similar issue.

It appears that the water is running down the front and following the curve of the siding all the way down to where it meets the top of the frame. It pools there and then runs down the side of the frame and along the bottom. There is a gap where the underbelly material meets the bottom of the frame, and it sticks out about a 1/4" past the front of the frame. So the water runs along the bottom of the frame and drips off above the underbelly material. The sag allows it to then run further back where it pools until I lift the tongue high enough for it to find a way to exit. I loosened the section of underbelly and with a flash light I could see water trails going back from this spot.

See the attached picture below with notations. Any suggestions on the best way to go about sealing this up better? I'm thinking at the very least I should drill another small drain hole or two at the center of the sags.
Attached Thumbnails
SDC11242.jpg  
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 04:09 PM   #2

So it doesn't look like this is something that folks have seen before. I'll go ahead and provide some extra details in the event that somebody else runs into it later. I taped off the section I suspected was the entry point with some good ole fashioned duct tape (not the cheap plastic kind.. ). The water now runs down the tape and drips off onto the ground instead of running into the underbelly. It's been dry for the last couple days now even with some pretty heavy rains so that confirms what I thought was the problem.

I dropped it off at the dealer today for them to look at how to go about sealing it up. I'm less than a year into the warranty so it should be covered. Guess we'll see if that's the case or not. It doesn't look like there is normally any sealant used around the edge of the underbelly when it's installed. Given the way I see the water flowing here I don't think it will stop flowing underneath without some sort of sealant being used.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:03 PM   #3

And here's the fix from the dealer, covered under warranty. They dropped the front part of the underbelly down and verified that it had dried out, then applied a sealant across the full width of the front. It's been raining off and on since I picked it up and so far all looks good.
Attached Thumbnails
SDC11245.jpg