Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-25-2021, 03:59 PM   #1

Jayco Ceiling Panel?

If anyone has removed one of the white ceiling panels, can you please tell me how to go about it? I am wanting to gain access to the nuts that secure the fixed mount Batwing Antenna for removal. Thanks.
Old 11-25-2021, 06:24 PM   #2

Most likely not a panel but a continuous sheet laid across the top. Also, RV manufacturers almost always use screws for everything, not nuts and bolts--much faster assembly.
Old 11-26-2021, 09:40 AM   #3

My roof drawing shows a ceiling panel ever 48”, and the antenna shows to be mounted with bolts, washers, and nuts. I have to assume that before tearing into it. Don’t want to try to remove the bolts from the top to have a nut spinning inside the roof.
Old 11-26-2021, 01:21 PM   #4

Have you considered cutting the fastener off?
Old 11-26-2021, 05:21 PM   #5

No I have not because there is a good size retainer ring inside the roof and the antenna wire is running thru it.
Old 11-26-2021, 07:43 PM   #6

If it is in the bedroom we pulled the dark brown strip from between the panels. Then we pulled down on the panel to look at the antenna using a flashlight. That's when we discovered that the antenna had a short wire connecting to standard coax. Also, there are no nuts as they used screws through the plywood.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 05:55 AM   #7

Just a thought, but why not cut an access hole directly under the antenna? You could then close up the hole using a low voltage plate and a blank outlet cover. That would allow for future access without ceiling removal. If done right, just blends into the ceiling and doesn't really show.

FYI, used this same method when installing my rear camera. The only difference was that I installed a lighted rocker switch through the cover to control the power to the camera.
mrmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 08:05 AM   #8

Several good ideas. Really hate to have to pull the panel loose, but the 6” diameter back plate will just have to stay in the roof area loose after removal.
Old 12-10-2021, 05:45 PM   #9

I replaced the batwing antenna on our 2016 Jay Feather. I did not need to remove the ceiling panel. I did all of the removal on the roof and through the factory hole in the ceiling. Pull the interior crank; there is a hole under it. We replaced ours with a King. It came with a plastic mounting plate and cover/cap that finished it off nicely.

You may need to cut the hole a little larger for your new antenna, but you should not have to remove an entire ceiling panel.
gunafulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 07:07 PM   #10

Mine is a fixed batwing, no interior crank.
Old 12-11-2021, 08:19 AM   #11

Ok.
Have you pulled it off from the roof to see what's under the mounting surface on the roof? Is there no way to lift it from the roof (side)? Can you at least unfasten it on the roof and get a look at how it's installed.

If not, I think I would dial-in it's location and consider cutting a hole in the ceiling where I would mount a unit that uses a ceiling cover plate, like a King or a Winegard product. I would start small with a 1" hole saw and work from there, only increasing the hole diameter as needed to access the batwing's hardware. The antennas that have an interior control are all installed this way.

If you cannot access the hardware topside and you do not want to install a new antenna with an interior control, full panel removal is probably your only option. I dread doing things like that to these fragile "doll house" toys. More often than not, I cannot get things back to "normal," or I open an unintended can of worms. I always take the slow less is more approach to all things RV repair, maintenance, and modification.
Old 12-11-2021, 08:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmom View Post
Just a thought, but why not cut an access hole directly under the antenna? You could then close up the hole using a low voltage plate and a blank outlet cover. That would allow for future access without ceiling removal. If done right, just blends into the ceiling and doesn't really show.

FYI, used this same method when installing my rear camera. The only difference was that I installed a lighted rocker switch through the cover to control the power to the camera.
I agree with this approach. But I also think I would see if I could unscrew it from the roof. As was stated, there may not be anything after those roof screws except a coax. Ours was only connected with screws on the roof and a coax. There were no bolts and nuts in the ceiling.
Old 12-11-2021, 11:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunafulltime View Post
I agree with this approach. But I also think I would see if I could unscrew it from the roof. As was stated, there may not be anything after those roof screws except a coax. Ours was only connected with screws on the roof and a coax. There were no bolts and nuts in the ceiling.
I want to install a new omni directional antenna, but I am strategizing about the worst case scenario before I start removal. The installation manual for the antenna I have shows a 6” diameter inner ring with bolts, lock washers, and nuts inside the roof. I am afraid the nuts are going to turn and I am going to be stuck. I really do not see Jayco/Starcraft taking time to install bolts and nuts, but what if?
Old 12-15-2021, 03:16 PM   #14

Were it me.... I'd presume they were screws.

If nuts and bolts, cut off with angle grinder if the nuts start spinning. After removing the antenna, you can probably reach through the hole and collect the nuts. If not, no biggie... if they roll around and make noise you can't hear it from the tow vehicle.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 12:08 AM   #15

2019 jayco. Changed out antennas and i did it all from the roof side. Plastic putty knife to remove the lap sealant the 6 or 8 screws, then undo the cable pigtail from the antenna and the handle from the post inside the trailer and its off. Very simple
tileguy is offline   Reply With Quote