Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-09-2016, 08:39 PM   #11

Thanks for the tips ALJO - I will extend those gutters and check that joint and tape as needed. When I was diagnosing earlier it looked like it was coming in there.

Retired: '94 Coleman Pop-up, '14 Jay Feather X18D
Icescreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:06 PM   #12

Great idea on those rain gutter extenders. My next mod! Thanks!

mtnbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:44 PM   #13

The first time out with our in the rain with our new trailer and I found a puddle in the storage compartment. Starcraft never even sealed the screws, the water just ran right down the threads. Put sealer over the top of the heads, and no problems since.

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2009 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:02 AM   #14

Jayco builders and QA in a hurry?

We did a very thorough inspection of our used 2014 Whitehawk RBOK before purchasing, and I still feel we got a great deal! We are first time buyers/campers, so re researched a bunch, had a few inspection lists, and generally felt we were being too picky sometimes. HOWEVER.....As all of you know, some things only come to light when out for the first few camping trips!

How did they miss that most of the outside kitchen door wasn't even taped, and that the door was hung inside the frame, tight against the back with a 3/8" gap at the front (not sealing on the rubber gasket)? It also sits underneath the gutter that for some unknown reason has a place where the gutter stops and a short piece is poorly "spliced" into it.

Easy! I missed the same issues while inspecting the unit three separate times! Watching the Jayco build video, it shows what a hurry up assembly line looks like. Every assembly line is designed to move along at a fast rate, and even a good QA system will not catch everything.

I did notice the gutters, and saw two similar units with the same configuration, but mine are not lined up, and they leak. It is a used trailer, so everything isn't going to be perfect. The hatch door has been leaking, and some delamination has occurred inside the outside kitchen door near the bottom.

When I get a chance, the whole door frame assembly will have to come out, get sealed and aligned properly, and I will try to do a proper caulking job after the butyl tape seals set in.

Any helpful links or advice for this job would be appreciated!

PeaceNCamp is offline   Reply With Quote