Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-10-2021, 08:15 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Gilmer, Texas
Posts: 920
Kaboom went the A/C

We've been up in Arkansas @ Withrow Springs SP. Monday night running bedroom AC heard a pop and swooshing sound I have heard before. Looked around outside saw nothing. Later noticed AC wasn't cooling. Turned it off but now pretty sure possibility cause of not cooling.
Got home and today I got on roof to find which line or compressor terminal blew . It is a cracked brazed joint on the end of a T on the hot gas line right before condenser. A really bad job of silver brazing . I will get a weld on charging valve & fix this weekend. I didn't keep too many parts when I retired but I still have all my tools/equipment needed for repair.
I'll post pics of tube & repair
__________________
S.A.Young
2011 321RLTS
2012 Chevy duramax dually
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 08:25 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Lake Huron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Port Huron, Mi
Posts: 1,419
Sub'd.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 06:17 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Lowell
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
We've been up in Arkansas @ Withrow Springs SP. Monday night running bedroom AC heard a pop and swooshing sound I have heard before. Looked around outside saw nothing. Later noticed AC wasn't cooling. Turned it off but now pretty sure possibility cause of not cooling.
Got home and today I got on roof to find which line or compressor terminal blew . It is a cracked brazed joint on the end of a T on the hot gas line right before condenser. A really bad job of silver brazing . I will get a weld on charging valve & fix this weekend. I didn't keep too many parts when I retired but I still have all my tools/equipment needed for repair.
I'll post pics of tube & repair
How did you like Withrow Springs? We live about 45 mins from there and camp there a couple times a year. Nice park at least we think so.
__________________
2019 Jayco Eagle HT 30.5MLOK
2002 F250 SD CC 4X4 7.3PSD
JaycoMLOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 09:00 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Gilmer, Texas
Posts: 920
We like it. Been comeing there about 7 years now 1 or 2 times a year. We have some land on Dry fork Creek we access on Carrol Cty 516. Can't get the 5er all the way down & we are way too old & spoiled to tent camp anymore.
__________________
S.A.Young
2011 321RLTS
2012 Chevy duramax dually
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 09:02 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Gilmer, Texas
Posts: 920
photos
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1158.jpg   IMG_1159.jpg   IMG_1162.jpg  
__________________
S.A.Young
2011 321RLTS
2012 Chevy duramax dually
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 09:06 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Gilmer, Texas
Posts: 920
Pay no mind to my hi side gauge as thats just pressure from another ac.
I calculated 15 Deg of superheat since no charging info other than data plate says 12 oz. I wieghed in 13 oz.
I also insulated the suction line and the capillary tube , The cap tube lays so close to the hot gas line I wanted to make sure no flash gas happens when its really hot.
__________________
S.A.Young
2011 321RLTS
2012 Chevy duramax dually
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 09:20 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
SmokerBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: PNW
Posts: 3,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
Pay no mind to my hi side gauge as thats just pressure from another ac.
I calculated 15 Deg of superheat since no charging info other than data plate says 12 oz. I wieghed in 13 oz.
I also insulated the suction line and the capillary tube , The cap tube lays so close to the hot gas line I wanted to make sure no flash gas happens when its really hot.
I don't understand a word you said there, but it sounds like you know what you're doing. Nice job!
__________________
Bill
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab
2011 Jay Flight 26BH
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 04:29 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
jetlag's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Vanceboro
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
I don't understand a word you said there, but it sounds like you know what you're doing. Nice job!
X2
__________________
2021 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2021 Jayco Pinnacle 36FBTS
jetlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:32 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
TxLoser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,481
Way beyond my pay grade/intellect. I admire you guys with the know how to tackle stuff like this.
__________________
2019 Eagle 321RSTS
2019 Chevy 3500HD SRW Dmax
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 07:27 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Lake Huron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Port Huron, Mi
Posts: 1,419
Heres what I understand, they purposely do crap like this so when it breaks its "non serviceable" which forces you to remove it, throw it away, and spend big $$$$ for a new one. Screw that!
Nice job on the repair!!
You gotta be smarter than the people that designed it, and in this case it's not too difficult. Lol!
__________________
2017 North Point 375BHFS
2015 Silverado 3500HD Crew Dually Dmax 4x4
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 11:55 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Lago Vista
Posts: 22
Grammer?

I tried to follow but failed...


I really wish people would take the time to practice grammar, punctuation, and spelling.


The wealth of knowledge goes down the tube sometimes.
djglover7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 12:31 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Greg58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: NEWNAN
Posts: 209
We’re seeing more and more cutting corners on refrigerant charged appliances, small ice makers, dehumidifiers and window units. It wouldn’t cost but maybe $5 more to add service ports.
__________________
Your results may not be the same.
Greg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 12:35 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Greg58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: NEWNAN
Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by djglover7 View Post
I tried to follow but failed...


I really wish people would take the time to practice grammar, punctuation, and spelling.


The wealth of knowledge goes down the tube sometimes.
I understand what was said, it HVAC language that people in that field use, he wasn’t failing to use proper grammar it’s just part of the industry.
Greg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 01:28 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Portland
Posts: 10
Amen to service ports!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg58 View Post
We’re seeing more and more cutting corners on refrigerant charged appliances, small ice makers, dehumidifiers and window units. It wouldn’t cost but maybe $5 more to add service ports.
Most of us will be forced to fix these things ourselves, with what we have at home. Buying quality tools is still a thing.
>> I try to always save building materials and such, it has never hurt me and has saved me thousands!!!
Stay safe!!
dustyww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 08:06 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Gilmer, Texas
Posts: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by djglover7 View Post
I tried to follow but failed...


I really wish people would take the time to practice grammar, punctuation, and spelling.


The wealth of knowledge goes down the tube sometimes.
Those that can do, those that can't allways seem to find something to #%^* about .
I thought by posting this problem and repair would demonstrate that our AC's are repairable in a high percentage of cases. Maybe saving some fellow RV owner some serious cash . I will have my flame suit on if I should try to help again.
__________________
S.A.Young
2011 321RLTS
2012 Chevy duramax dually
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 05:17 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Daytona Beach
Posts: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
Those that can do, those that can't allways seem to find something to #%^* about .
I thought by posting this problem and repair would demonstrate that our AC's are repairable in a high percentage of cases. Maybe saving some fellow RV owner some serious cash . I will have my flame suit on if I should try to help again.
There will always be someone that complains, just ignore and continue to give sound advice.
Ya, I always wondered why the don't add service ports.
PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.