Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-22-2015, 07:38 AM   #1

Leak around antenna

We're getting ready to head south after Christmas and I noticed a little line of water running across the floor after a night of heavy rains. I think that I have the leak traced to the antenna mount. There is a pin hole at the bottom of a small indentation and a small 1/8" crack at another point.
I bought some silicone sealant and some spray sealant and was going to put those on today. After sleeping on it I decided to ask those who might actually know what they're doing what they would use.
Our local RV place is closed for the winter. What's on the antenna now as a sealant looks like a grey putty that hardened.
Is there something that I could pick up at a hardware store to reseal the antenna that would be better than silicone?

CKinsella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:45 AM   #2
Site Team

Don't use silicone caulk on you roof.
On the top of the antenna base is a small rubber plug, remove it and put a squirt of silicone spray lubricant or a drop of oil in there and replace the plug.

Get a tube of Dicor self leveling caulk from a rv dealer. Clean the area with a non petroleum cleaner and apply the self leveling caulk.

http://www.amazon.com/Dicor-501LSW-1.../dp/B008VTK73W

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:21 AM   #3

I have a different take on it. For really small stuff a bit of silicone is just fine. The trouble is that the small stuff is the beginning of something bigger. The seals are drying up.

For bigger stuff use either Dicor or Eternabond tape. Dicor will only last just so long, so if you are keeping the trailer for a number of years Eternabond tape is a longer lasting more permanent seal. Whatever you choose you have to properly prepare the surface or it'll be a waste of time.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:53 AM   #4

I would also stay away from silicone on the roof. If you ever want to re-seal with Dicor or EternaBond, you will need to remove the silicone first cuz they won't stick .

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 10:13 AM   #5

I believe there is two antennas radio n TV. The Radio, make sure U silicon the bottom screw on the roof. The TV Antenna, youtube it n learn how to take it apart.
Touch N Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 10:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
I would also stay away from silicone on the roof. If you ever want to re-seal with Dicor or EternaBond, you will need to remove the silicone first cuz they won't stick .
Hence the need for good preparation. Even if you never put silicone on your roof, you still have to properly prepare the surface. That includes removing any old material, be it Dicor, silicone, or what ever. I've done this stuff, silicone on the roof doesn't hurt a thing.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:11 PM   #7

I found some Dicor self leveling lap sealant and will be using that.
Thanks for the ideas and information.
CKinsella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 12:14 PM   #8
Site Team

I tried some silicone in a pinch once and it did not hold up well.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Old 12-22-2015, 12:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Don't use silicone caulk on you roof.
On the top of the antenna is a small rubber plug, remove it and put a squirt of silicone spray lubricant or a drop of oil in there and replace the plug.

Get a tube of Dicor self leveling caulk from a rv dealer. Clean the area with a non petroleum cleaner and apply the self leveling caulk.

http://www.amazon.com/Dicor-501LSW-1.../dp/B008VTK73W
X2

These antennas are known to leak internally due to the o-rings going bad on them. I would dicor any obvious issues on the outside mount but also maintain the inner workings (shaft, gears, etc) as they need to be maintained on a regular basis. Check online for the procedure. Good luck!
klpoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 01:14 PM   #10
Site Team

See my note here from post #2. This will take care of most drips if coming from inside the shaft. No need to take it apart unless this does not fix it.

On the top of the antenna base is a small rubber plug, remove it and put a squirt of silicone spray lubricant or a drop of oil in there and replace the plug.