Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-22-2015, 07:38 AM   #1

Leak around antenna

We're getting ready to head south after Christmas and I noticed a little line of water running across the floor after a night of heavy rains. I think that I have the leak traced to the antenna mount. There is a pin hole at the bottom of a small indentation and a small 1/8" crack at another point.
I bought some silicone sealant and some spray sealant and was going to put those on today. After sleeping on it I decided to ask those who might actually know what they're doing what they would use.
Our local RV place is closed for the winter. What's on the antenna now as a sealant looks like a grey putty that hardened.
Is there something that I could pick up at a hardware store to reseal the antenna that would be better than silicone?
CKinsella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:45 AM   #2
Site Team

Don't use silicone caulk on you roof.
On the top of the antenna base is a small rubber plug, remove it and put a squirt of silicone spray lubricant or a drop of oil in there and replace the plug.

Get a tube of Dicor self leveling caulk from a rv dealer. Clean the area with a non petroleum cleaner and apply the self leveling caulk.

http://www.amazon.com/Dicor-501LSW-1.../dp/B008VTK73W
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:21 AM   #3

I have a different take on it. For really small stuff a bit of silicone is just fine. The trouble is that the small stuff is the beginning of something bigger. The seals are drying up.

For bigger stuff use either Dicor or Eternabond tape. Dicor will only last just so long, so if you are keeping the trailer for a number of years Eternabond tape is a longer lasting more permanent seal. Whatever you choose you have to properly prepare the surface or it'll be a waste of time.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 09:53 AM   #4

I would also stay away from silicone on the roof. If you ever want to re-seal with Dicor or EternaBond, you will need to remove the silicone first cuz they won't stick .

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 10:13 AM   #5

I believe there is two antennas radio n TV. The Radio, make sure U silicon the bottom screw on the roof. The TV Antenna, youtube it n learn how to take it apart.
Touch N Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 10:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
I would also stay away from silicone on the roof. If you ever want to re-seal with Dicor or EternaBond, you will need to remove the silicone first cuz they won't stick .
Hence the need for good preparation. Even if you never put silicone on your roof, you still have to properly prepare the surface. That includes removing any old material, be it Dicor, silicone, or what ever. I've done this stuff, silicone on the roof doesn't hurt a thing.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 12:11 PM   #7

I found some Dicor self leveling lap sealant and will be using that.
Thanks for the ideas and information.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:14 PM   #8
Site Team

I tried some silicone in a pinch once and it did not hold up well.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 12-22-2015, 12:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Don't use silicone caulk on you roof.
On the top of the antenna is a small rubber plug, remove it and put a squirt of silicone spray lubricant or a drop of oil in there and replace the plug.

Get a tube of Dicor self leveling caulk from a rv dealer. Clean the area with a non petroleum cleaner and apply the self leveling caulk.

http://www.amazon.com/Dicor-501LSW-1.../dp/B008VTK73W
X2

These antennas are known to leak internally due to the o-rings going bad on them. I would dicor any obvious issues on the outside mount but also maintain the inner workings (shaft, gears, etc) as they need to be maintained on a regular basis. Check online for the procedure. Good luck!
klpoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 01:14 PM   #10
Site Team

See my note here from post #2. This will take care of most drips if coming from inside the shaft. No need to take it apart unless this does not fix it.

On the top of the antenna base is a small rubber plug, remove it and put a squirt of silicone spray lubricant or a drop of oil in there and replace the plug.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 12-22-2015, 01:45 PM   #11

I'll be applying the Dicor caulk today to seal it up. In the spring I think that I'll go back with a roll of the Eternabond tape and reseal anything that is caulked.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:42 PM   #12

2" or 4" Eternabond tape?
Old 12-22-2015, 03:37 PM   #13

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f4...fix-18929.html

Here is my thread about the leak I had. And what I did to fix it.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:17 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKinsella View Post
I bought 4 inch and 6 inch. 2 inch can easily be made by cutting the 4 inch in half but there will not be much need for it.

If you order it, get a spray can of their cleaner, it works well and goes a long way.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 12-22-2015, 06:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKinsella View Post
Probably 4". Just make sure it covers the Dicor and laps over onto the EPDM roofing material. I second the spray cleaner Norty1 talked about. It's a little tricky to install because air tries to get under it so a steel roller helps get those bubbles out. I have pictures on my site where I put it on several areas.
I may have caused a little confusion on my original post talking about silicone. I meant to say silicone caulk should not be used on the roof because you would need to remove it before using Dicor or EternaBond. Unlike Dicor which does not need to be removed, only cleaned before re-applying a new coat of Dicor (or EternaBond). Having said all of that, silicone lubricant would be good to use on the internal gears of the antenna. All of this relates to a possible leak in the roof, not around the antenna mechanism itself. I hate long posts .

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:00 AM   #16

Silicone caulk is not recommended for repairs to any roof system which I'm aware of. Nothing will properly adhere to to the silicone caulk once it has cured. That includes more of the exact same silicone product.

To add to the problem the silicone product will leach out and coat the general area, not just the actual bead of caulk. The silicone caulk and residue needs to be completely cleaned/removed or any new sealant repairs won't properly bond.

There are so many other superior product choices I see no reason to apply silicone sealants to a roof system. It is much better to stay with products designed for the particular roof system.

As mentioned, Dicor products are readily available at RV stores and have a good reputation. I also like Eternabond tape. That said, it isn't always the answer for every repair. Sometimes a proper sealant is easier to apply and will work better than Eternabond tape. There are different repair products on the market for a reason. One size doesn't always fit all.

FWIW. vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:04 AM   #17

If there is already the Dicor self leveling product on an area can the Eternabond take go over that our should that be cut off before applying the tape?
Old 12-26-2015, 09:18 AM   #18
Site Team

My experience is the eternabond likes level more than being pressed over old bumpy caulk. I use a plastic putty knife to carefully remove the high spots. The clean and apply. Get a small wallpaper roller to press the tape down. I always apply a small bead of their caulk to the leading edge if it is exposed to a windstream when moving.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 12-27-2015, 05:35 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
See my note here from post #2. This will take care of most drips if coming from inside the shaft. No need to take it apart unless this does not fix it.

I have had a leaking problem through my crank up antenna since new. I have a bit of vertigo so I don't get on my roof at all and have the antenna inspected by my RV dealer service manager twice a year when he is cleaning my roof. Since I don't use this antenna at all it is a royal pain in my back side.

Since I am going to be replacing my failed Alpha Systems rubber roof in early 2016 I'm going to eliminate the crank up antenna and the leaking problem with this one: Winegard RoadStar RS-3000 RV TV Antenna.

I would just completely remove this antenna and replace with nothing, but I feel there should be a TV antenna up there, but that crank up one is going away.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 05:45 AM   #20
Site Team

Mighty strange. In over 15 years of owning rv's with that type antenna, I only recall only one problem that a drop of oil fixed.
Gator roll-up bed cover