Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-21-2014, 01:02 PM   #1

Leaking Jayco Jay Flight G2 31bhds

Hello Everyone, we have a 2010 Jayco Jay Flight G2 31bhds. It's been a great trailer for us. However we have recently discovered a leak at the bottom of the main tip out (table + couch area). Nothing seems to be coming from the ceiling however where the front left corner of the tipout meet's the trailer wall and floor the carpet is wet and the wood trim attached to a cabinet has started to soak in water.

Not sure if anyone has experienced this same issue, would love some feedback on fixes or suggestions. however I have seen some other threads where people have mentioned the rubber gasket may be drying out and so on? How long does this gasket typically supposed to last? Some have mentined a rubber gasket conditioner? Also someone mentioned retractable awmings to cover the tip outs? Does anyone have experience with this?

Anyfeedback would be appreciated. I didn't think I would have to be dealing with this on a 4 year old trailer.
paulstirpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:35 AM   #2

Hello Everyone, any help would be appreciated. Am I the only unlucky one that could be experiencing this issue?
Old 07-24-2014, 08:41 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

paulstirpe,

Welcome to JOF

I'll move your thread over to the "Jayco Problems and Issues" forum, this may provide for increased thread visibility and response.

Thanks for posting.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulstirpe View Post
Nothing seems to be coming from the ceiling however where the front left corner of the tipout meet's the trailer wall and floor
I'm not 100% sure, but it sounds like your slideout may not be "fully" sealing. You didn't mention whether the leak is occuring when the slideout is in the "in" or "out" position?? Either way, sounds like your slide mechanisms may need to be adjusted (there are vertical / horizontal adjustments that can be made to the sliderails underneath that will help create a better seal). These adjustments are discussed in the owners manual and on the Lippert website (but you can also take it to a dealer and they should be familiar with how to perform these adjustments).

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulstirpe View Post
Also someone mentioned retractable awmings to cover the tip outs? Does anyone have experience with this?
To my knowledge, the slideout awnings are mainly for keeping debris/rain off the top of the slideout roof and may still not be enough to fix a poor seal condition (if that's what you have).

Best of luck tracing this down and keep us posted on what you find out.
Honda EU3000is
DW, DD x 2 (10 y/o twins), DS x 2 (8 & 6 y/o), and "Oscar" the Weiner Dog
rtbreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:17 AM   #5

The leak occurs when the tip out is out...I believe. I would agree, I believe the first point to check would be the seal. I have seen video's where people use Baby Powder to clean and condition the seals. Would you folks recommend this vs the seal conditioner/cleaner?

My trailer is parked in a park far form the dealer, bringing it in isn't reeally an option at this point. I will have to check the onwers manual and online for proper tip out alignment and adjustment.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:23 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I use 303 Aerospace Protectant on all my seals, great UV protection.., and has many other uses around the TV & TT.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/303-pr...04_129_002_506

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:33 AM   #7

We have the same camper, and same problem, In the spring when we opened it up and uncovered it we found that the lower wood under the cabinet at tea of front slide had mold on it and looked damaged from water, than looked and the same on the back of same cabinet in the slide for bunks. 1st thing I thought of was the city water inlet ws leaking int camper and we never noticed it and we put it away wet. Upon closer inspection I found no leaks, Than I remember that our last trip home from the Outer banks we hit heavy rain and some flooding, thought that maybe water got in from drive though deep water. Still don't know for sure, I have water tested it with slide out in and out and can't find any leaks. Maybe some one can help. Thanks
WELLCRAFT is offline   Reply With Quote