Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-14-2016, 10:09 PM   #1

Exclamation Leaking Water Heater Wierd Spot

Hi, I have an '09 Jay Feather 19H. The unit was never filled with water until now. I filled the water tank to test the water heater and everything was going fine. The lines were pressurized with the water heater bypass on and no leaks. I started filling the water heater. When the water heater filled to the P&T valve water started pouring INSIDE of my trailer. It looks like the water is coming from where the P&T valve sits in the tank. The pen in the picture is pointing at where the water was shooting out of. Would changing the P&T valve solve this problem? Or is it a more deep problem than that?
The amount of water leaking is a lot (it's essentially pouring out, not until the pump has been running for a while with the bypass off)
Attached Thumbnails
water heater.jpg  
tharasym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:07 AM   #2

I had a neighbor that had a similar issue a few weeks back. He worked on it a whole day and couldn't figure it out.and water was pouring all over pretty good. Couldn't see where it was leaking. Finally he pulled the tank and bought some pipe fittings and some steel braided hoses at home depot to adapt the feed lines. After he took the tank out and turned it on it was leaking again. Had to pull that foam off and found a pin hole in the tank. If you can't find or see the leak, it maybe be better to try something like that especially if water is getting into the unit.
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:37 PM   #3

Think I found the problem, thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
crack.jpg  
tharasym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:18 AM   #4

Looks like it was left full of water and froze solid.......

Replacement tanks are available, but you will have to compare what it would cost in labor to exchange the tank versus replacing the entire HWH. I changed the tank in my prior unit to get electric heating added, but if you aren't comfortable doing that work that might cost more to have a repair facility do it than installing a complete new unit.

Good luck!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, p&t valve, water heater