Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-09-2014, 01:20 PM   #11

Thanks!
I will keep you posted.

One would "think" that the service techs would test their work with a hose before calling me to tell me its ready.... it is saddening that I don't have any faith at all that they will do that though.

It will be up to me to test the work that was done after I get it back for sure.

James

Old 04-09-2014, 04:01 PM   #12

Latest Update:

I called to see if any progress had been made this afternoon.
The woman who works the front office of the service dept. said that she did not know everything about it yet, but that she overheard the service manager say that they had removed and reset two windows so far.....

Now I'm nervous...

There was a leak at only one window. The other leak was dripping down inside the wardrobe with no windows above it or even near it! I can only hope that they have done this correctly and pressure tested the unit and then actually found another trouble spot before it became a big one....

However, with my general "feeling" about dealership techs, I am doubting this is the case. My worst fear is that they are disassembling my new trailer in a "shot gun" approach trying to stop leaks.... and that it won't be put back together right. Maybe I'm just overly anxious because this purchase was a lot of money for our family to spend and I never had even one little problem with the Rockwood we owned before this.

We shall see what tomorrow brings.

James

Old 04-10-2014, 09:58 PM   #13

Last Update

Okay,

Went and picked up the trailer today.
They actually performed a pressure test and found all leaks occurring at this time. One was the obvious one by the master bed passenger side; the tech found that the "foam" gasket Jayco uses had been nicked at two corners when installed and was allowing water past it. He also found that the window on the other side of the bed had the exact same problem but only on one corner... he said he sent a photo to Jayco and they told him to pull the window and reset it. So... two windows pulled and new, thick butyl tape put behind them instead of the original foam gasket material. I'm LIKING this so far

The other leak which was coming through the roof and into the wardrobe next to the bed on driver's side was because of air pockets in the lap sealant from the factory. When I was up there cleaning the roof after picking it up from the dealer (see my other thread / rant about that one) I noticed that there seemed like a few big "holes" in the sealant... especially around three of the screw heads. The tech told me that is exactly where he found the leaks. He resealed the whole front seam. I went up and looked at it and it looks waaay better than from the factory as far as coverage.

He also inspected and touched up around the antenna's because they weren't done very well at the factory either... he said it is better to do it right while it isn't leaking yet.

General feelings? I am happy with the performance of this tech crew at this point. The service manager came over and talked with me and told me that in his 30 years, he can remember less than 15 or so Jayco's that have leaked right off the assembly line. I informed him that all wouldn't be right in the world if MINE didn't have problems.

At this point, this is the end to this saga... unless of course the next time it rains I end up with wet places around the inside of my trailer again.

Thank you all for the advice along the way!

James
Old 04-10-2014, 10:59 PM   #14

Better to find the leaks now than 1k miles from home and on vacation next month!!!! Hope all is good now!!!!
TST 507 flow thru

Livinglife2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:34 AM   #15

Whew! I'm glad to hear there was a happy ending to this story. It very easily could have gone sideways with the wrong service department.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:10 PM   #16

Thank you both!

I am happily surprised...

James
Old 04-11-2014, 01:51 PM   #17
Site Team

Just guessing but my money says the holes in the caulking were the culprit. Water kind of lays up there by that front seam and does not completely run off, and if there`s an opportunity it is coming in with gravity! The windows have also been known to leak though. Glad to hear they fixed you up.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:01 PM   #18

Always nice to hear a happy ending...

Good Luck and enjoy the TT!!
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:23 PM   #19

Thank you!

We just got back from our "shakedown" night of camping at a local campground. All went well. All systems worked as they should. Kids loved having their own bunk and they slept much better than when they had sleep two per bed.

The master bed with the topper we put on it slept fine. Wouldn't work for me long term, but the week-long camping trips will be okay.

Now... if I can just figure out how to drain the water heater....

James
Old 04-12-2014, 12:51 PM   #20

That's great news.

Now you can rest easy.