Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-13-2015, 09:35 AM   #1

Lemon law case?

Lemon law or something close?
I am wondering if I have a case. Virginia lemon law doesn’t cover travel trailers, however there is a federal lemon law that does.
I purchased my X19H in May of last year. Due to several leaking incidents, it was returned to a different Jayco dealer in October. They determined the canvas needed replaced.
The first canvas came in and when I went to pick up the camper I noticed it was torn. They said they would order another canvas.
End of this past March the 2nd canvas was delivered. It too was torn. However, no one called to inform me. I have had to make every follow up call regarding this. The “gentleman” ( I use that term loosely) didn’t have much information on my camper or when the next canvas may be in. He became very rude when I pressed for just an approximate date. I called back the next day to speak with the service guy I had been dealing with. Left a message. No return call.
Called back today. A 3rd canvas is on order and scheduled for delivery 4/28. He is hoping to have my camper to me by the end of May. He said Jayco has changed manufactures of the canvas and this will be coming from the new manufacture.
So out of the 11 months I have owned this camper, it has been on a dealers lot for repairs 6 of them. With the new date being given to me, that most likely will be 7 out of 12 months. (all the while I’m still making payments) We have missed numerous trips that we would normally take and looks like some more to be missed on the horizon. I contacted Jayco Friday, but have yet to hear back from them. I know at leats one person on here touched on their story of Jayco working with them on a replacement camper. I am not asking for something for nothing, but I think I have a legitimate case to at least ask Jayco.
Any thoughts?
Old 04-13-2015, 09:47 AM   #2

Are you dealing directly with Jayco, or is the dealer you are talking to? Why did the original canvas need to be replaced? Where was it leaking from?

If you are not talking directly to Jayco, I'd suggest making a call to them and asking questions, to verify the story you are getting. The whole "changing manufacturers" thing sounds fishy to me.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:49 AM   #3

I doubt you will be successful unless and until you are working directly with Jayco.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:50 AM   #4

I have never heard of a Federal Lemon Law, I have heard the most (if not all) state lemon laws don't cover TT/5ers.

However I do understand there is a law that requires a manufacture to extend the warranty by any amount of time the unit was unavailable for use by the consumer do to extended repair requirements.

If I was in your position I would be immediately focused on having Jayco extend your warranty for the period your TT was unavailable. If the 3rd canvas doesn't solve the problem I would then try to speak with Jayco directly about possible remediation.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:00 AM   #5

Jayco has yet to get back in touch with me since I contacted them Friday. I spoke to someone in customer service and she was sending my information to another department. I was going to give them today to contact me, but now I am getting anxious and impatient.

From what I have been told, since Virginia doesn’t cover travel trailers under lemon law, it would be covered federally by The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:12 AM   #6

This again sounds like a dealer issue. I really doubt JAYCO shipped 2 bad pieces, probably damaged during the install in my opinion. And as was mentioned don't think you will have any success with any kind of lemon law

As to JAYCO calling you back you need to give them time since they deal with more than 1 person a day.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:17 AM   #7

Well it sounds like you are dealing with a dealer problem. My guess is, they are tearing the canvas during installation. However, you still will not get a new unit (likely). The canvas is manufactured by a third party. All Jayco (and the dealer for that matter) did, as install a product manufactured by a third a party.

As far as this dealer is concerned, they are likely holding your unit as long as possible to eat up as much warranty as possible. You could go to the dealers owner (and I certainly would), and state your case. I would very well contact Jayco and state your case about this dealer. Also contact the BBB in that area. But seriously, you do not have a lemon, or any reason to claim "lemon". You just have a bad dealer service dept.
TIM
qwed94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwed94 View Post

As far as this dealer is concerned, they are likely holding your unit as long as possible to eat up as much warranty as possible.
I don't believe there is a single state where this practice would be legal. Once a warranty item is acknowledged as such within the warranty period, it doesn't matter if the warranty period expires, it still has to fixed.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwed94 View Post
The canvas is manufactured by a third party.
Unless things just recently changed JAYCO/STARCRAFT sew all their canvas in house. That is why I doubt they shipped two that were damaged/
Old 04-13-2015, 10:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Unless things just recently changed JAYCO/STARCRAFT sew all their canvas in house. That is why I doubt they shipped two that were damaged/
The dealer could be feeding me a line, but they have stated numerous times the canvas comes from a different manufacture. And as I previously mentioned, they are saying that Jayco recently switched suppliers of the canvas.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:11 AM   #11

At a minimum you should insist on a year extension on your warranty.

2013 F150 EXL Screw 5.0 4x4 3:55 locking ( not towing the above trailer with this truck)

Spending my children's inheritances on my toys!
sask934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:33 AM   #12

There is a lot of good feedback on this post. Lemon Law is a misunderstood subject. It doesn't appear you have foundation to file under this category. However you can sue the dealer and manufacturer for damages. Unfortunately this is a 3 to 5 year process and very expensive.

Having been a business owner for many years I would encourage you to speak to them in person if possible. Customer satisfaction is critical and they should know what is going on. It sounds like you have been subjected to some employees that are trying to cover up mistakes or poor workmanship. If you don't get this resolved through the owner then get Jayco involved and change dealers. Sorry that you are having the difficulty. All the best
Stoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:50 AM   #13

Call Jayco back.
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 12:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
[FONT=Calibri]The dealer could be feeding me a line, but they have stated numerous times the canvas comes from a different manufacture.[/ FONT]
You decide. All tent ends and tent sides are still sewn in house. They may have changed the type of material, but not who does the sewing. I just verified it.

"tents are still made in house.* We did close the sewing department for all other fabric made items such as bedspreads, curtains, etc."
Old 04-13-2015, 01:56 PM   #15

I haven't needed to use the service but I have heard it's pretty good. If you are a Good Sam's member they have a service that assists with warranty issues. The act as your advocate to get satisfaction.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:40 PM   #16

[QUOTE=howie;289750]Jayco has yet to get back in touch with me since I contacted them Friday. I spoke to someone in customer service and she was sending my information to another department. I was going to give them today to contact me, but now I am getting anxious and impatient.

So you gave them 24 business hours to respond? You need to wait 72 hours. If there is no answer then, you call customer service, speak to a real person, explain that no one got back to you and it's time to speak to a manager. And that you expect answers before you become a pain in their backside. But you can't expect instantaneous responses. It doesn't work that way.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:33 AM   #17

I'll say this... every time I have ever contacted Jayco, they got back to me fairly promptly. They didn't always give me the answer I wanted to hear but they've been professional and communicative. Give them a bit to respond as Todd suggested.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:41 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Klassy View Post
So you gave them 24 business hours to respond? You need to wait 72 hours. If there is no answer then, you call customer service, speak to a real person, explain that no one got back to you and it's time to speak to a manager. And that you expect answers before you become a pain in their backside. But you can't expect instantaneous responses. It doesn't work that way.
I never said I only gave them 24 hours. I said I contacted them Friday and they have yet to get back in touch. I was hoping to hear back yesterday. I never said I have attempted to contact them again. I did say I was getting anxious after speaking to the dealer. I didn't just fall off the turnip truck, I know how things work.

For the record, I contacted Jayco when I purchased the camper and there were some issues the dealer couldn’t work out. I waited a week each time. They never got back in touch with me. I always had to make a return call a week later. So Jayco's track record of communication isn't too good in my case.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:40 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
You decide. All tent ends and tent sides are still sewn in house. They may have changed the type of material, but not who does the sewing. I just verified it.

"tents are still made in house.* We did close the sewing department for all other fabric made items such as bedspreads, curtains, etc."
I would be curious to who you verified it with. A lady from Jayco service & warranty department just called me. She confirmed what the dealer said, that they are indeed outsourcing the tent ends to someone else.

She would not budge on extending the warranty period for the time I have not had possession of my camper. She did offer to allow me to pick up my camper and use it until they get the new canvas in. (How kind of them to offer to allow me to use MY camper) I explained that it being 1-1/2 hour drive each way, along with the loading/unloading of the camper, that wasn't a real convenient solution.
She was going to check with the vendor on the canvas to see they could expedite shipping. Other than that, not much else that can be done.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:51 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
I would be curious to who you verified it with. A lady from Jayco service & warranty department just called me. She confirmed what the dealer said, that they are indeed outsourcing the tent ends to someone else.
A JAYCO/STARCRAFT employee who I have known and has been there for well over 20 years. ???