Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-22-2018, 10:38 AM   #1

Lesson Learned - No repairs the day before leaving

I know we all have stories like this, but last night I think I've learned my lesson on doing repairs even minor ones the day before leaving.

Last trip I noticed the LP pigtails on our TT had cracks in them, no leaks yet but why take the risk right? So I ordered up a new pair of pigtails.

Picked up our trailer last night brought it home to prep for our trip today and decided to install the new pigtails (what could go wrong right?)

Removed the old pig tails from the regulator but inadvertently removed the check valves as well (no big deal right?)

Reinstalled the check valves, installed the new pig tails, soaked in leak check and slowly turned everything on to check for leaks. Alas I had bubbles so started wrenching stuff to tighten it more.

BAM! cracked the one of the check valves, and wouldn't you know they're almost impossible to find locally on short notice!! Luckily called my dealer and they have one in stock so the wife is picking it up while I finish out the work day and I'll install it before we leave tonight.

Moral of the story again, NO REPAIRS RIGHT BEFORE LEAVING!

This is the Second time I've managed a situation like this, first was our water heater had a leak that ended up in me learning to work with PEX very quickly to make sure we could leave on time

JeremyFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:16 PM   #2

The day before should be all about packing up, anyway!
sirrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
The day before should be all about packing up, anyway!
Hehe it is, but typically turns into minor repairs or changes day to since we store our trailer elsewhere when not in use. But not anymore!

JeremyFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:25 PM   #4

We are camping up in Nova Scotia this week. I finally found where my sink was leaking from. I needed a new straining basket drain gasket. Home Depot was 31 miles away so I jumped on the scooter and 1.5 hours later, I return with a whole new drain assembly. Unfortunately, the old one didn’t come out so nicely. Corrosion and such made it impossible to get the bottom nut off. With the help of a few of the campground tools, I got it off after another 1.5 hours. The new one went right in however, it was slightly longer than the previous one and now the pipe connecting the other side of the sink does not line back up. Back on the scooter to Home Depot for a matching strainer basket. Finished the job with no leaks at 10pm. Lesson there...don’t do repairs out in the middle of no where that you can take care of the day before you leave!!!
Wertles is offline   Reply With Quote