Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-30-2017, 09:20 AM   #1

Let's talk covers..............

Let's talk covers.......

Looking for recommendations for a good quality cover for our 2018 Jayco SLX 267BHS to protect it from sun, rain and other elements. The southern sun can be BRUTAL.

When we aren't using it, it stays in uncovered storage so I would like to get a GOOD quality cover.

What would you recommend? Only looking for recommendations that you use personally and have had good results with. What do you trust to protect your trailer?

Adco? Classic Accessories? Elements? Camco?

I don't want to hear what not to use, what Uncle Joe's second cousin used two years ago or what the guy two spots down at the campground said to use.

Thanks in advance! — looking for recommendations.
thompsondd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:12 AM   #2

I can vouch for ADCO. Got 3 years on my first camper (sold it but the cover was fine and I expected to get a couple more out of it at least). Only 1 year with ADCO on my current camper but it has straps in all the right places and fits well.

The main complaint I read about on covers in general is that they rip in high wind environments so whatever you get make it sure it fits snug and protect your corners and sharp edges (tennis balls for the corner spouts, and I cut up and use pool noodles in various other places).

I happen to be pretty sheltered from the wind so have not had any issues w/ tearing myself <knocks on wood>

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:40 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I just bought this one.
Seen it recommended in a search. Nice video on how to install and design.
Camping World has it on sale right now. Cheaper than amazon.

ADCO All Climate + Wind Designer Tyvek RV Cover - Travel Trailer, 24'1" - 26' - ADCO 34843 - RV Covers - Camping World

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:01 PM   #4

My biggest concern being in GA is the summer sun...............it is relentless.

I keep reading reviews where the UV and heat eat these things alive.

Which makes me wonder what it does to an uncovered trailer and makes my resolve and desire for a cover that much greater, but I want one that will make it a couple of years (minimum).
thompsondd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:34 PM   #5

ADCO has a 3 year warranty and claims to protect your camper from 99.8% of UV rays.

No I am not an ADCO salesman lol

5th Wheel RV Covers, Fifth Wheel Trailer Covers

Old 08-30-2017, 12:42 PM   #6

How are you guys dealing with antennae on the roof, the radio one, not tf, is pretty much a foot of wire sticking out..do you remove/bend it each time you put in cover?

For me ADCO SAS the best choice after cost/benefit analysis. Amazon had a good deal on them last year when I bought it.

Jay flight Slx 174BH Baja
Ukrainian_Kozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:48 PM   #7

My radio antenna has a single screw in it that I loosen a bit and the antenna drops flush onto the roof

Old 09-04-2017, 09:11 AM   #8

What are you trying to protect? Roofs are good in outdoors. Our last one showed no signs of deterioration after 13years in SW desert at 6000ft (very high UV).

If you want to protect paint then make sure the cover cannot rub against the surface, even a little bit. Flapping cover will cause more damage than UV.

Also, make sure there is no condensation inside the cover.

I've seen more RV's with damage from covers than were protected. If you are serious about it then put in a covered space for it, even one of the canvas ones would be better than a cover. Or, use the boat cover method and build a frame that holds the cover away from the RV.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:43 AM   #9

We had an ADCO for our old TT and will be buying another one for the new TT as well.
NCMFFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:58 AM   #10
BCK

I use ADCO as well and had good success so far. Only had it one year but when I took it off the TT looked exactly like it did when I put the cover on.

I folded the antenna flat same as Force.

Also of note, ADCO had warnings in a number of places not to fasten the cover too tightly. I expect too tight is just as bad as too loose.
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:26 AM   #11

New 195 TT owner, I know about water and antifreeze preparation, but what roof protection do I need to address for a winter here in Vermont? A simple cover might prevent me from reducing snow loading.
Alpineskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 07:20 AM   #12

Doing everything according to the instructions and going beyond with cover sensitivity measures (including foam corners and spouts), we got one year (4-5 months actual use, 2+ months in spring and 2+ months late summer/early fall) out of an Elements. What an amazingly poor product. It literally disintegrated before our eyes. Essentially, it is like the plastic-backed paper drop cloths. Total rip-off. CW did honor the warranty, no questions asked, so we have a new one sitting in its box. We are trying to use it strategically to get the most time out of it. We will not pay for another one. I have heard that the ADCO product is a better design and build. For the money, you should get a minimum of 3 years out of one. As they are, they should retail for $35-50 tops.

Years ago, we had an awesome CalMark Sunbrella cover, but that puppy was pricey. A CalMark for our current TT would basically be a grand or more. If that's what it takes to get a 5-10 year cover, we will pass and move forward. We are ready to move on from covers. Our next project is a covered RV and TV port.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 08:45 AM   #13

We are going into our 3rd winter with our ADCO cover. I use tennis balls on the rain spouts to keep the rainspouts from poking holes in the cover.
I loosen the screw on the radio antenna and it lays down flat against the roof.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:02 AM   #14

We are also on the third winter using an ADCO cover and it's holding up well. As RAurand pointed out you do need to blunt the sharper corners and the rain gutters. The main reason we cover is to prevent an excessive build up of leaves and other tree material over the winter when it's much harder to get up on the roof and clean it.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote