Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-06-2022, 11:08 AM   #1

Limb through the roof

My 2016 23RLSW took a large maple tree limb that impacted the roof, destroyed the vent fan, punched a hole that penetrated into the bedroom but did not extend into it, plus another breakthrough, but not completely, a couple feet away. The repair bill is around $10,000, and State Farm will cover it. Of course this requires the total replacement of the entire rubber roof, which turns out to not be the hard part. The repair/replacement to the roof sheathing and supports which in a house would be the rafters, and reinstalling a new ceiling panel is the hard part. I find it interesting that my home owners insurance did not cover the damage, but the trailer insurance did. Our local place in town just completed another Jayco, where the entire roof, supports, sheathing, everything above the top of the walls had to be replaced to the tune of $7500, but is was a shorter trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6249.jpg   IMG_6250.jpg   IMG_6243.jpg  
CALNNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 11:57 AM   #2

Wow - sorry for the trouble. Did the tree fall while parked at your home?

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 02:52 PM   #3

Yes it was parked on my property. The sad thing is that it is a maple we have had an arborist keep in good shape and a large dead branch like the one that came out, should not have been in the mix. It also smashed the propane tank plastic cover and broke the cover on the electric trailer jack. It could have been much worse though. The limb did its damage and then fell to the ground, the punched through hole sort of self healed, and the tarp kept it from having an big inside water issue. The edge of the bed got wet, and a paper sack on the floor full of pine cones got the rest. Took the mattress in the house and it was dry in a day, only one paper towel needed to pick up the water that was on the floor.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6232.jpg  
Old 08-06-2022, 02:57 PM   #4

Wow! Hope it all works out for you. Keep us informed of the progress...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 01:22 PM   #5

Not sure if the insurance covers it all but if it doesn't, I would check with the Homeowners Agent again. They may not cover the roof but if there was any personal property damage inside the TT I believe a homeowners policy would cover it. I think it is worth checking out.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 02:18 PM   #6

Home Owners didn't cover it because it was exposed to the elements. Not in a garage or carport. That's when the trailer's insurance kicks in.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 03:01 PM   #7

Man I hate to hear this. Hopefully insurance company doesn't think the repair is enough to issue you a salvaged title. If that happens you will take it on the chin if/when it comes time to sell.
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 07:43 AM   #8

No, in NC the law states as long as the repair cost are 75% or less of the trailers value, they will not total it out. This trailer, and I was surprised since it is 6 years old, was still appraised at around $22K bucks, so the $10K repair bill was approved. Plus, there is a range of money left to be used if the actual cost is more than the estimate. I found a place right here in town whose specialty is roof repairs. They have taken entire roofs off with nothing but walls left and rebuilt them, so feel pretty confident in their ability.