Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-20-2023, 02:37 PM   #1

Lippert brake clips

I replaced all of my brakes with Lippert Forward Self-Adjusting Brake Assemblies last season. I checked them this year and everyone had at least 1 of the 3 retaining clips off from driving down rough roads. One had all the clips off and the magnet wire was almost worn thru from rubbing on the brake drum. This is not the first time it has caused the brake wires to short out and I am tired of a poor design. Has anyone else come up with a fix for this problem?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lippert clips.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	86983
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 03:04 PM   #2

Maybe a dab of an adhesive of some type under the clips?

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 04:02 PM   #3

I have not had the same issues, or I don’t think so, but on the way fromTexas to Colorado, running on rough highways, we stopped after coming down Raton Pass, we stopped for a break. I checked temp on my hubs and one was like 90 degrees hotter than others. Jacked up, couldn’t rotate tire because brake pads again drum. Ok, I tighten brake so that the tire would spin and we’re off again. Go 100 miles, check hub temp again, other 110 degrees, other 379 degrees. Drove really slow to Walmart,couldn’t spin tire,pulled hub off. Bearing good. Tightened brake shoes as tight as I could, cut the wires and made it to Rv park. My point I, couldn’t any of the items you listed cause my trouble with brake pads, only 2 yrs old. Or do you know what could cause it.?.
Bwanajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 05:46 PM   #4

I live in south west lower Michigan and our roads are terrible . What happens is the bouncing of the axle is dislodging the three clips that secure the brake magnet wires and they wind up getting ground up and shorting out causing the truck to tell you to check trailer wiring,
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote