Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-03-2021, 03:15 PM   #1

Unhappy Lippert Through Rail Slide Out Issue?

new guy, first post here (used to be a moderator of a huge forum with this same software about 15yrs ago).

2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5 RKTS 5th wheel.
situation: had service done last fall, to include slide out adjustments on all 3 slides, from a dealership that we'll never use again (long story). ever since we got it back, when we'd pull the slide in, and it was fully retracted, we'd hear that standard "thud, thud, thud" before we had time to release the button. it started to make a fast clicking sound when we'd try and extend the slide, like the gears weren't fully engaging, also exactly like when the slide is fully extended. we'd tap the retract button, then try and again and it would work. thought nothing much about it. continued to do this every so often this season... until Sunday.

wife put something behind the chair on slide by door. slide across the camper was already closed, and the chair normally butts up next to the couch (L shape). that extra something was about 3" thick and solid.

while i was going my duties outside, she came and told me that now the slide won't go out and has been trying a few times. sure enough, it just makes that rapid clicking noise, like when you fully extend the slide. also makes the "thud thud" sound when you press the retract (it's fully closed, so it should make that noise).

i have talked with 2 RV repairmen, and both have said that it's an easy fix on these Lippert Through Frame slide out rail systems (non-hydraulic). They both said the same thing (different phone calls), that the "Stop Can" is too tight against the frame rail, and i can loosen one of the nuts next to the stop can, then take a large channel lock and turn the stop can counter-clockwise about a 1/4" of travel, and then try and extend the slide. then retract it, then tight the can up (not as tight to the frame as before), and then the bolt.

HAS ANYONE HAD THIS ISSUE, OR ATTEMPTED OR HEARD OF THIS FIX?
looking for any sort of confirmation before i drive 3+ hours to where my camper is currently stored.

i really don't want to have to cut open the underbelly and manually extend it. we pre-positioned it down by her relatives for a wedding coming up, that's why it's 3 hours away. luckily the slide is closed, but if it doesn't open, we have to crawl over the countertop to get to the back of the camper where the fridge is located, etc, etc.

thanks for any insights, and thanks for having me.
GumbyN28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 05:25 PM   #2

On mine the stop can is on the outside of the frame, no need to cut the belly open. Large Channel Locks for the stop can and a Crescent for the jam nut should do it. The gear box clicks and slips to avoid over torquing anything.

Seems like the jam nut is 1 1/8 or 1 1/16.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GumbyN28 View Post
new guy, first post here (used to be a moderator of a huge forum with this same software about 15yrs ago).

2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5 RKTS 5th wheel.
situation: had service done last fall, to include slide out adjustments on all 3 slides, from a dealership that we'll never use again (long story). ever since we got it back, when we'd pull the slide in, and it was fully retracted, we'd hear that standard "thud, thud, thud" before we had time to release the button. it started to make a fast clicking sound when we'd try and extend the slide, like the gears weren't fully engaging, also exactly like when the slide is fully extended. we'd tap the retract button, then try and again and it would work. thought nothing much about it. continued to do this every so often this season... until Sunday.

wife put something behind the chair on slide by door. slide across the camper was already closed, and the chair normally butts up next to the couch (L shape). that extra something was about 3" thick and solid.

while i was going my duties outside, she came and told me that now the slide won't go out and has been trying a few times. sure enough, it just makes that rapid clicking noise, like when you fully extend the slide. also makes the "thud thud" sound when you press the retract (it's fully closed, so it should make that noise).

i have talked with 2 RV repairmen, and both have said that it's an easy fix on these Lippert Through Frame slide out rail systems (non-hydraulic). They both said the same thing (different phone calls), that the "Stop Can" is too tight against the frame rail, and i can loosen one of the nuts next to the stop can, then take a large channel lock and turn the stop can counter-clockwise about a 1/4" of travel, and then try and extend the slide. then retract it, then tight the can up (not as tight to the frame as before), and then the bolt.

HAS ANYONE HAD THIS ISSUE, OR ATTEMPTED OR HEARD OF THIS FIX?
looking for any sort of confirmation before i drive 3+ hours to where my camper is currently stored.

i really don't want to have to cut open the underbelly and manually extend it. we pre-positioned it down by her relatives for a wedding coming up, that's why it's 3 hours away. luckily the slide is closed, but if it doesn't open, we have to crawl over the countertop to get to the back of the camper where the fridge is located, etc, etc.

thanks for any insights, and thanks for having me.
What they are saying sounds right, that’s how I adjusted my slide so it would go in more….
Furrion Vision S 7” Rear and Side View Cameras
2021JayFlight28BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 06:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lane View Post
On mine the stop can is on the outside of the frame, no need to cut the belly open. Large Channel Locks for the stop can and a Crescent for the jam nut should do it. The gear box clicks and slips to avoid over torquing anything.

Yep, i wasn't clear. Stop can is on the outside of frame, but the manual adjust is inside the frame (as is the motor to manually move it).

Thanks for the reply.

Just hoping that after i loosen it up, maybe bump it closed, then extend, it may catch and start moving again.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2021JayFlight28BHS View Post
What they are saying sounds right, that’s how I adjusted my slide so it would go in more….
Thanks. I think it was closed all the way, but maybe not.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Thanks. I think it was closed all the way, but maybe not.
Here is their manual.

Edit: never mind it won’t let me save it to the thread, it’s too big, and I can’t find the link online where I downloaded it.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:02 PM   #7

Thats alright, saved it at work earlier today. Been tryin to find other discussions or youtube videos about it.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:36 PM   #8

So I have just been dealing with my through frame slide out. I would have to wonder if the plastic gear inside the motor is starting to fail and cause things to bind up. It’s a fine gear that would not take much to cause a problem. Also if one of your gear packs are failing it may be allowing the track to rub metal to metal instead of on the rollers I found that my gear pack on the track without the motor was worn enough that it would not finish closing. If it was the pack on the motor track it may be creating the same resistance as the stop can. You can get a new gear for the motor fairly cheap I think. May not be bad to get one just in case it’s that after driving 3 hours.
damammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 08:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lane View Post

just realized you're from Wichita. the camper is up in Marion... called a couple places down in Wichita, one "dealer" hung up on me when i asked if they had mobile RV techs they could recommend.
got ahold of 2 ppl, one wasn't mobile, but gave the same answer as the next guy i had on my list to call, which was the guy the 1st one recommended that i call, and he is out of Wichita and said Marion is too far. hell, Marion is too far from everywhere.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by damammel View Post
So I have just been dealing with my through frame slide out. I would have to wonder if the plastic gear inside the motor is starting to fail and cause things to bind up. It’s a fine gear that would not take much to cause a problem. Also if one of your gear packs are failing it may be allowing the track to rub metal to metal instead of on the rollers I found that my gear pack on the track without the motor was worn enough that it would not finish closing. If it was the pack on the motor track it may be creating the same resistance as the stop can. You can get a new gear for the motor fairly cheap I think. May not be bad to get one just in case it’s that after driving 3 hours.
hoping it's not any stripping of gears, especially under the camper at the motor, having to cut into the underbelly. saw on some vids that people had little "doors" on their underbelly below the slide out motors, just screwed in. their underbelly was more of a hard cardboard like substance and the one on mine is more like a fabric (i think).

i've watched all the "gear pack" replacement vids... but since it's not in front of me, i can't check. looks simple enough, if i have a jack that tall to lift the rail.
i should've snapped a picture before i left.
Old 08-07-2021, 04:01 PM   #11

Update:. I fixed it

Will post what I did, and some photos, when i have a chance (and it's not midday heat/humidity).
Old 08-07-2021, 07:40 PM   #12

Ok, typing on my phone, so it'll suck.

First, what the rv mechanics told me to do was the opposite of what got it working. Yes, was the 'stop can', but it wasn't too tight, it wasn't tight enough. Was allowing the slide to close too much. I'm not a Lippert tech, so the internals of this and how they work, ask someone else...

First, 2014 jayco eagle 5th wheel does have little cutouts in the underbelly below where the slide out motors are located. It is sort of a hardened cardboard material.

Second, you may need to go buy new screws as well (mine had 7) as have a drill ready because those screw heads will be rusty and strip out easily.

I did what the rv mechanics told me, got a crescent wrench to loosen the nut the holds the stop can in place... Maybe over time/use it continually moved back, a millimeter a year? Who knows. What this did was allow the slide to come in farther when it closed.
Why this matters, i dunno, not a Lippert tech.

So, i loosened the nut, took a LARGE channel lock, turned the stop can a little bit (about 1/4" distance along the bar), tried to open the slide. Same rattle noise it makes when fully extended. Tapped the retract button, still retracted. But just made it tighter. Thats when i thought i had to cut a whole in the underbelly...

(Bring a mat to lay on)
Got underneath, unscrewed the panel, it was below the motor, which was all the way on the other side of the frame. Also, the gear pack is on the INSIDE of the frame, not outside like you may see on other campers.
I took a ratchet and put it on the 'thing' (bolt/nipple/drawing a blank), then turned it so the 'screw' would open the slide. My terminology sucks, i know. Got it moved a bit, was able to get the gears to engage and the slide went out.

Fiddled with it some more, as we retracted and wouldnt come out again. Got back on other side, ratcheted the slide out a bit, extended the slide.

Then, putting 2 and 2 together, i tightened the stop can MORE than it was (turning it clockwise so it is closer to the frame). I could see how far it was because the threads were clean.

Closed it up, checked the slide was in all the way, it was, and then extended. It still worked.

So.... I think, over time, the stop can moves outward, meaning the slide closes too much. How that affects the gearing, i don't know.

All i know is that just a few turns manually to extend the slide allowed the gears to engage going outward. Tested going in and out many times, still worked, still closes up tight.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210807_194122__01.jpg   IMG_20210807_192309__01.jpg   IMG_20210807_192317.jpg   IMG_20210807_192249.jpg   IMG_20210807_193037.jpg  

Old 08-08-2021, 02:09 PM   #13

I spoke too soon.
Went to put it in storage, slide wouldn't open... Then it did... Then it didn't.

Just gonna have to manually get it going and limp it home until we can get it looked at.
Old 08-08-2021, 02:41 PM   #14

Quote:
I spoke too soon.
Went to put it in storage, slide wouldn't open... Then it did... Then it didn't.

Just gonna have to manually get it going and limp it home until we can get it looked at.
Use a good dry lube on everything, both sides, around the motor, etc. and see it’s dragging somewhere… on the out side of the slide you can adjust the slide up and down if needed.
Old 08-09-2021, 07:14 PM   #15

Thanks for posting. I am having this exact issue on my 2009 5th wheel. The one motor just clicks. I’ve pulled it all apart and your process is offering some guidance. I assume it’s the gears in the gear pack but those likely only fail if there is another issue.
Old 08-09-2021, 07:20 PM   #16

I don't think my issue is the gear pack but maybe something internal to the motor/slipper clutch.
Unfortunately, i can't see the gear pack for that slide out. The one in the pics is for the opposite slide.

At least you can try to get the gears to engage by using a ratchet...
Old 08-10-2021, 09:06 AM   #17

I have removed the retaining nut on the shaft and I have been able to extend the slide with a crescent wrench. So I know the slide itself is not binding. It does appear to be awful snug on the "through hole" where the shaft runs through.

I need a second pair of hands to run the motor while I'm under there to see where the issue is coming from. One thing's for sure, the underbelly is in pristine condition. So I'm not worried at all about the elements having caused this.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2294 (1).jpg   IMG_2306.jpg   IMG_2310.jpg  
JohnnieMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 02:49 PM   #18

Can anyone confirm if this is a Lippert system or a power gear? I want to order a replacement motor just to have on hand.

RV Slide Out Motor 18:1 Ratio Venture Replacement Motor M-8910 (1 Motor) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07MR8JLZ8/...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Old 08-10-2021, 07:41 PM   #19

Doesn't look like the Lipperts i've seen, but i am not an expert.
Old 08-10-2021, 09:00 PM   #20

Further digging shows it is a Dexter motor but seems to have the same principles of Lippert. From what I gather Lippert purchased this product line from Dexter.

Not that any of this helps me source a new motor....