Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Jayco Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2022, 06:31 PM   #1

Looking for suggestions on how to get smell out of outdoor RV patio mat

Hi All,

We have an 18' outdoor patio mat we have been using with our campers now for 4 years. Over time, we've noticed now when it gets wet, it has this smell that can only be described as "cat pee" lol. As soon as it's dry, all is well. I tried pressure washing it today with car wash soap to see if it would help, but it still stinks. I'm betting bleach might work, but the pattern on it is black, white and grays.

I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions that has worked for them in the past.

To be clear, I don't believe a cat or anything has peed on the mat, it's just the only way I can describe the smell LOL
JayG7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 07:01 PM   #2

Maybe some Simple green in a pressure washer and then let it hang outside in the sun a few days.
If that doesn't work gas and a match.
corv65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 07:07 PM   #3
Site Team

You would need to set it up in a garage or other confined space where no humans or pets are around, but what about an ozone generator? They work amazing at removing all sorts of smells out of auto interiors, pet smells from carpets, etc.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 08:26 PM   #4

we sometimes have stray male cats come by and spray near back porch. i'll spray vinegar on area and that helps. also i recover furniture and sometimes customers have cat sprayed furniture again soke it with vinegar and let it dry in
the sun. hope it helps can't hurt
BB HUMMINGBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 05:17 AM   #5

Cats will "mark" items, sometimes so fast you'd never notice till the smell hits you. Years ago my oldest would not keep her cat's litter box clean in her room and the cat would refuse to use it. By the time I noticed it, cat urine had seeped under the wall studs into an adjoining attic. Disgusting nasty cat pee smell especially when the humidity went up. Irresponsible kid moved out (she did eventually gain responsibility.. whew!), cat long gone, carpet tore out, and 1 quart of enzymatic cleaner later after multiple applications you'd never know it. The stuff worked very well for me.
https://www.naturesmiracle.com/produ...destroyer.aspx
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 10:06 AM   #6

Sprinkle it with baking soda while the mat is dry and let it set for several hours preferably not in the sun. The rinse well. If you want to take an extra step dilute vinegar in a spray bottle and spray vinegar water over the mat and let it sit for about 15 minutes before rinsing. I would test a small corner of the mat before doing the entire thing just in case there is a dye in the mat that has a negative reaction with the baking soda or vinegar.
2016 Ram 2500 CC SWB 6.4 Hemi 3:73
2021 Jay Flight 33RBTS- +/- 10,500 lbs. on travel day
Hughes Power Watchdog Bluetooth surge protector
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote