Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-14-2016, 06:47 PM   #1

LP Regulator - 195 RB

When we open the gas valve on the bottle why does it take 3 plus hours before we can use any gas appliance on our 195 RB? We had the LP pressure regulator replaced once (under warranty), do we need to replace it again.

LEHerter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 06:50 PM   #2

try opening the valve slowly .... that's what I have been told maybe it is sensing a leak since the line are empty when you open it
Old 02-14-2016, 06:59 PM   #3

When you open the valve on the bottle, try opening the valve very slowly. Sometimes opening the valve quickly will cause the regulator to lock up from the sudden inflow of pressure. Happened to me a couple of times.

Charlie & Lizzie the Mini Dachshunds
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS
2015 F350 Lariet Crew Cab Long Bed 6.7 Diesel B&W Companion Hitch
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Witt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:00 PM   #4

I've tried opening it as slow as I can, it doesn't matter how slow the valve is opened. It was a little aggravating the other day in Savannah GA., we got to the camp site at about 6 and at 9 the water heater still wouldn't light.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:07 PM   #5

well I always light my stove first and it takes about 35 to 40 seconds with the stove wide open to bleed the air and get it to light. only after I get it lit do I turn the fridge and water heater on. maybe that will help ?
Old 02-14-2016, 07:09 PM   #6

Thank you - I'll try that tomorrow
Old 02-14-2016, 07:46 PM   #7

Our 195rb has the same issue. The dealer replaced the LP tank when the trailer was in for the front window leak in December we haven't confirmed that this fixed the issue as the trailer is put up for the winter however the new tank doesn't have the slack in the valve the old one had.
1320tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:56 PM   #8

With the tank valve open, open the valve on one of the stove burners. If you hear a "hissing" sound you have pressure in the lines. Keep lighting it until the gas gets there and the burner lights. Then, light the hot water heater, furnace, fridge, etc.

If there is no presssure, then either the tank is no good or the regulator.

Based on past experience I always keep a spare full tank on hand, plus a complete regulator / hose / fittings assembly. If its freezing outside I don't need to have to fiddle more than a minute to get the heat back on...
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:40 PM   #9

This is probably not your case but I've found on my propane grills that when the tank gets low (not empty) lighting the grill becomes more difficult. Over the years I've cycled in fresh tanks and simply sacrificed the low ones for the convenience.

So do make sure your tank has plenty of propane in it.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:26 AM   #10

There is a high flow shut off in the pigtails from the tank to the regulator also. I had both of mine fail a couple of years ago. So even if you have a full tank, open it slowly, you can still not get propane flow.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:46 AM   #11

This morning I installed new full gas bottle, opened the gas bottle valve VERY slow, and I still don't have any gas flowing to any of the appliances (there is not even the slightest gas flow to the water heater pilot). In the 20 plus years we owned Star Craft campers, we never had this much trouble. Getting very disappointed with my new Jayco, looking at trading it in for anything but another Jayco.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:17 AM   #12

I would suggest replacing the pigtail hose that runs from the tank to the regulator. If you can't find one locally, go to Walmart online and order one for store pickup. I got one there for about $12.

If that doesn't fix the problem, my next step would be to replace the regulator.

Also, crawl under your trailer and visually inspect the propane line, from tank to every location it enters the trailer, just to rule out any possible kinks in the line if yours is copper tubing. My propane line is black iron for the most part, but from that, copper tubing is attached that goes inside to the appliances.

Good luck
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEHerter View Post
When we open the gas valve on the bottle why does it take 3 plus hours before we can use any gas appliance on our 195 RB? We had the LP pressure regulator replaced once (under warranty), do we need to replace it again.

Quote:
This morning I installed new full gas bottle, opened the gas bottle valve VERY slow, and I still don't have any gas flowing to any of the appliances (there is not even the slightest gas flow to the water heater pilot). In the 20 plus years we owned Star Craft campers, we never had this much trouble. Getting very disappointed with my new Jayco, looking at trading it in for anything but another Jayco.
Did replacing the pressure regulator (when under warranty) fix the first problem you had with the propane system?

So are you having the same problem/symptoms as before?
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:30 AM   #14

Quote:
In the last 29 years I had a no-flow situation only once. It was the regulator - that's why I ALWAYS keep a spare.

My home gas grill runs the tank down to zero with never an issue. I never waste gas.

Buy a pigtail as was suggested. Hook it up to the tank but leave the other end open. Open the tank valve. If no gas comes out your tank is defective. If it does there is a blockage after the tank.

You need spares of each componenet anyway, so buy them all. You'll use them eventually.

I wouldn't blame Jayco. These are all OEM parts. One of the suppliers sent them a bad componenet.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Did replacing the pressure regulator (when under warranty) fix the first problem you had with the propane system?

So are you having the same problem/symptoms as before?
We are having the exact same problem as we did before the replacing the pressure regulator (when under warranty). No kinks in the lines, everything works fine after a few hours after the bottle valve is opened.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
There is a high flow shut off in the pigtails from the tank to the regulator also. I had both of mine fail a couple of years ago. So even if you have a full tank, open it slowly, you can still not get propane flow.
If that's the case, then this safety device is likely the problem. Replace the pigtail with a blank one.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:18 PM   #17

If you have a spare LP tank from another appliance try swapping it with the tank on the camper. There is an excess flow device (usually a small steel ball) in the newer style tank valves and maybe yours is defective. If the valve is opened too quickly and the lines are empty it will usually trip the device and you have to wait for the pressure to equalize on both sides of the "ball" before gas will flow. Sometimes you can actually hear it "ping" when it activates. This is to prevent free flowing gas if one of the lines should get cut. Another safety innovation from "big brother"- not a bad idea but sometimes a real pain.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
In the last 29 years I had a no-flow situation only once. It was the regulator - that's why I ALWAYS keep a spare.

My home gas grill runs the tank down to zero with never an issue. I never waste gas.

Buy a pigtail as was suggested. Hook it up to the tank but leave the other end open. Open the tank valve. If no gas comes out your tank is defective. If it does there is a blockage after the tank.

You need spares of each componenet anyway, so buy them all. You'll use them eventually.

I wouldn't blame Jayco. These are all OEM parts. One of the suppliers sent them a bad componenet.
This procedure won't work. There is a high flow shut off valve in the pigtail. If you turn on the tank valve and leave the other end open nothing happens.

Try replacing the pigtail and then the regulator if you still have no flow.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 01:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
This procedure won't work. There is a high flow shut off valve in the pigtail. If you turn on the tank valve and leave the other end open nothing happens.

Try replacing the pigtail and then the regulator if you still have no flow.
I just bought an entire set of pigtails, regulators, brackets, etc. to be used as a spare assembly for my new Jayco. The pigtails were just rubber hoses with brass fittings on the ends.

Could this shutoff valve be within the tank valve itself?
Old 02-15-2016, 06:34 PM   #20

We had a 2014 184BH which is very similar. Same problem you are having. Gas to the stove just fine, but nothing to the water heater. It ended up being a kinked gas line that was installed incorrectly from the factory. Worth a look, especially if its still under warranty.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/attachmen...pic32337_2.gif
Chris P. is offline   Reply With Quote