Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-09-2016, 12:51 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
I like the way it laps over the seam between the roof and sidewall. That's always a concern for me.
Oh yeah, that looks great!

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:24 PM   #102
Site Team

It must look good, even nambarc approves.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:58 PM   #103

We finally got some pretty hard rain today. It is raining right now and all I can say about the reduction in rain noise on the roof is WOW! Yes I can hear it, but it doesn't come close to blocking out the TV audio. I would say the reduction in rain on the roof noise is at least 80%.

I know rain noise isn't a good enough reason to replace a roof, but it certainly is a great benefit.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:05 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
Here 'tis. I took this opportunity to get rid of the crank up broadcast TV antenna also. I never use it and it has leaked through it a couple of times. This replacement is a Winegard Road Star. The skylight is new also. I couldn't see leaving the old one.

It is supposed to rain here tomorrow and for the first time in a long time I'm not worried about a leak.
Wow!!! That looks fantastic and super strong! Congrats!
I don't know why they don't do RV roofs like this to begin with. Or at the least, offer it as a factory option. I honestly think the rv companies don't want the roofs to last forever and that's why they use that rubber crap. I think the major demise of most rv's start with a roof leak. Once you get heavy water damage the unit is trash. Roofing like yours would greatly extend the life of an RV, something the manufacturers don't really want!
jloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:21 PM   #105

It slows production down, so we probably won't see it with Jayco. The price as an option on Excels wasn't that bad at all, considering there was no real prep since they were building the rig. All we can do is wish, or act as Ed did and go for it.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:18 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
... Roofing like yours would greatly extend the life of an RV, something the manufacturers don't really want!
At one time I wouldn't believe that to be. Then I encountered it in real life.

An R&D facility I worked in developed a proprietary process for applying a nickel finish. We worked with a manufacturer of chemical valves to apply the technology to the working parts of their valves which were exposed to harsh chemicals. The result was that it made the valves almost wear proof for most applications.

The other result was that the valve manufacturer decided that they weren't interested. There were a few excuses tossed about in writing as to why they didn't want it. An engineer confided in me that the real reason was that at least 75% of their business was selling parts and replacement valves. They would lose too much in revenue if their product lasted too long.

Gotta love business. vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:18 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
Wow!!! That looks fantastic and super strong! Congrats!
I don't know why they don't do RV roofs like this to begin with. Or at the least, offer it as a factory option. I honestly think the rv companies don't want the roofs to last forever and that's why they use that rubber crap. I think the major demise of most rv's start with a roof leak. Once you get heavy water damage the unit is trash. Roofing like yours would greatly extend the life of an RV, something the manufacturers don't really want!
One my my earlier posts in this thread addresses your comment. I agree.

I think it is a combination of "planned obsolescence" and the need to hit a price point.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
Old 01-11-2016, 11:44 AM   #108

Congrats Ed! That looks GREAT!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:57 AM   #109

It's NOT the roof material that causes the roof leaks, it's what seals the roof, the lap sealant, self leveling caulking, it splits and cracks lets water in, you need a 4" fiber backed seam tape that accepts a coating, never inspect your rv roof seams ever again.....
rvroofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 05:48 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvroofer View Post
It's NOT the roof material that causes the roof leaks, it's what seals the roof, the lap sealant, self leveling caulking, it splits and cracks lets water in, you need a 4" fiber backed seam tape that accepts a coating, never inspect your rv roof seams ever again.....
I will agree that most roof leaks are what you describe, but in my case I had failure of the rubber roof membrane. The leaks were coming through the EPDM material in several places right under where the a/c's drip condensation. Maybe over 2.5 years cumulative in Florida sun over 5 years was too much?

With my new RV Flex Armor roof I have zero lap sealant or self leveling caulk or the need for any fiber backed seam tape.

I do not work for or have any connection to the RV Flex Armor company or any of their authorized applicators. I am just a completely satisfied customer.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:55 PM   #111

Gotta agree again. Best route is the Flex Armor. We full time as well, and if I had the extra pocket change, I'd have it. I have my seams sealed with good success over the time we've had it now, and in the past, but no doubt the rubber material is inferior, the Flex Armor is superior.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:06 AM   #112

Ed,
How much did your new roof cost you? I have Alpha EPDM roof on mine and it is starting to peel away from the edges. I know it will cost me several hundred dollars to glue it back down and I'm wondering whether I should just replace the roof since it is 4 1/2 years old now.
Keith C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 01:50 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith C View Post
Ed,
How much did your new roof cost you? I have Alpha EPDM roof on mine and it is starting to peel away from the edges. I know it will cost me several hundred dollars to glue it back down and I'm wondering whether I should just replace the roof since it is 4 1/2 years old now.
I had mine replaced with RV Flex Armor in Madison, MS as you know from reading this thread. They were charging $170.00/linear foot at that time and it took 2 1/2 days.

It wasn't cheap, but absolutely worth ever dime to me. No more rubber, no more caulking, etc. I'm in Panama City, FL volunteering for the summer at the same park I have been in for the past 5 years. Being on the same site as in years past I have noticed a major change in my a/c operation. Both my units now cycle on/off during the heat of the day that they never did in years past. Obviously better insulation in the roof is the only thing that changed. And when it rains the thicker roof makes much less less noise inside. I can actually hear my television when it is raining outside now.

Let me know if you need more info.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:10 PM   #114

Alpha Refinish Planned

I finally have received the primer and top coat for the refinish project I need to do on my Jayco/Alpha roof - a 2005 model 26BH. These products have been farmed out to Camping World and I have been trying to obtain them since mid-February. I am fortunate in that I have the ordinary wear issues after 10 years. Hopefully my plan succeeds. Sounds like op original roof life expired pretty quickly.
Tommyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 04:07 PM   #115

Ed,
I heard about Flex Armour. $170/ft is expensive. Do they do the roof of the slide outs as well? For a 30' roof, that is over $5000! What happens if you need to add stuff to your roof? Do you need Flex Armour to recoat that area?
Keith C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 04:58 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith C View Post
Ed,
I heard about Flex Armour. $170/ft is expensive. Do they do the roof of the slide outs as well? For a 30' roof, that is over $5000! What happens if you need to add stuff to your roof? Do you need Flex Armour to recoat that area?
If you need to add something to your roof, cut a hole and add it then use Dicor or similar. The next time you are going to be close to a Flex Armor installer they can recoat that one area for you. Don't know what they charge for this.

I was quoted $6,000 to replace my Alpha roof by my dealer. Flex Armor was essentially the same price. Hmmmm! Same price and expect different results the second time? Not Me!