Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-19-2015, 04:15 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
edatlanta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Maplesville, AL - Home Base
Posts: 2,523
I will definitely keep this forum informed of my progress to get rid of the bad rubber roof.

The bottom line is I have totally lost faith in ANY rubber roof, but especially any material manufactured by Alpha Systems. They no longer make the EPDM membrane material that has failed on my Designer. I can't help but believe there is a reason for this. Do you think their current offering is any better? I'm betting even cheaper.

And anyone that believes the rubber roof manufacturers "12 year warranty" is dreaming. An offer of $227.00 as total compensation by Alpha Systems for a 12 year warranty rubber roof that failed in it's 5th year? I'm thinking it will be worth it to write them a "stick it" letter. They want a 12"x12" section of the bad roof membrane. I wonder if they will still want it if they knew it has been coated with Dicor 2 step repair product to keep it from destroying my interior while I wait for the replacement to be applied?

I am now half way through my first cup and just stepped down off of my soap box. I wish all here a Merry Christmas and I'm outta here mid-morning for Ft. Wilderness and a week with my grandchildren and Mickey. Since it is 34 degrees right now at this RV park in south Georgia, I'm ready for some warmer weather.
__________________

__________________
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 07:12 AM   #22
Site Team
 
norty1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 12,032
They could be getting the new roof material from the same nice folks that supply the TowMax tires.
__________________

__________________
Moderator
2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 05:08 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
edatlanta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Maplesville, AL - Home Base
Posts: 2,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
They could be getting the new roof material from the same nice folks that supply the TowMax tires.
I never thought of that. Great thought.
__________________
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:04 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
VicS1950's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
...

The bottom line is I have totally lost faith in ANY rubber roof, but especially any material manufactured by Alpha Systems. ...
I can understand why you feel that way. I believe you are correct to point to a specific product line though.

EPDM roof membranes are known for long life. Many buildings are protected by them without any problems except at joints and penetrations. The EPDM membrane materials rarely fail.

I have learned that RV roof EPDM membranes are generally lighter gauge material as compared to commercial roof membranes. Whether that selection is based upon weight and fuel efficiency, or cost is up to you to decide. I know what my thought is.

Recently I was talking to an RV tech who replaces roofs. He mentioned that he always buys commercial grade EPDM membrane material. He won't replace with RV grade. Commercial product definitely will add some weight, but negligible in my opinion.

That said, my 2001 EPDM membrane is still in good condition. All my leak problems have been related to joints and penetrations where sealants or installation methods were a factor.

Not all EPDM rubber roofs are bad.

I trust your replacement choice will do what you need. Trust your Dicor repair and just enjoy the grand kids.

vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:01 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
edatlanta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Maplesville, AL - Home Base
Posts: 2,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicS1950 View Post
I can understand why you feel that way. I believe you are correct to point to a specific product line though.

EPDM roof membranes are known for long life. Many buildings are protected by them without any problems except at joints and penetrations. The EPDM membrane materials rarely fail.

I have learned that RV roof EPDM membranes are generally lighter gauge material as compared to commercial roof membranes. Whether that selection is based upon weight and fuel efficiency, or cost is up to you to decide. I know what my thought is.

Recently I was talking to an RV tech who replaces roofs. He mentioned that he always buys commercial grade EPDM membrane material. He won't replace with RV grade. Commercial product definitely will add some weight, but negligible in my opinion.

That said, my 2001 EPDM membrane is still in good condition. All my leak problems have been related to joints and penetrations where sealants or installation methods were a factor.

Not all EPDM rubber roofs are bad.

I trust your replacement choice will do what you need. Trust your Dicor repair and just enjoy the grand kids.

vic
Thanks vic. As I said in a post a few minutes ago "I'm at Ft. Wilderness for the week. No grumpy here!

I will take care of the roof issue first thing next month.

It has rained hard on the Dicor repair before I came to Florida. So far so good.
__________________
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 07:27 PM   #26
Site Team
 
norty1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 12,032
edalanta, I have the same roof on my 2011 and I do not see any deterioration at all that I did not cause. I think yours may be explained by the salt environment and heat from those summers in the sun.

Still seems like they should last longer. I have friends with 10-12 year old rigs that show no signs of failure.
__________________
Moderator
2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:31 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: MD
Posts: 3,077
Roofs should last more than 5 years with no maintenance. The fact that you took preventative measures and still had a problem is sad.
__________________
2017 JayFlight 28BHBE
2014 JayFlight Swift 264BH (Sold)
2007 GMC 2500 Sierra Classic Crew Cab LBZ Duramax / 6spd Allison
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:35 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Kennewick
Posts: 235
I had a EPDM roof by Dicor on an RV I sold a year ago. It was a 2002 model. I cleaned it once a year with Dawn and never had anything that looked like an area to leak. Had to re-caulk a few times. It was uncovered it's whole life. Must be that FL UV penetration.
__________________
2014 Eagle Premier 361REQS
Mor-ride pin box
SuperSprings
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 04:52 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
edatlanta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Maplesville, AL - Home Base
Posts: 2,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
edalanta, I have the same roof on my 2011 and I do not see any deterioration at all that I did not cause. I think yours may be explained by the salt environment and heat from those summers in the sun.

Still seems like they should last longer. I have friends with 10-12 year old rigs that show no signs of failure.
The first areas that showed failure were the spots under the a/c's where the condensation drips out. Since I full time and spend a lot of time in hot/humid areas in the summer there is no doubt there was a lot of condensation dripping on those areas for the past 5 years. But that is still very poor performance for a 12 year guaranteed roof and Alpha Systems offer of $227.00 as total compensation under the terms of that warranty is even worse than the quality of their roof membrane.
__________________
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 04:53 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
edatlanta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Maplesville, AL - Home Base
Posts: 2,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
Roofs should last more than 5 years with no maintenance. The fact that you took preventative measures and still had a problem is sad.
Totally agree.
__________________

__________________
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.