Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-13-2015, 06:11 AM   #1

Major Roof Deterioration After 5 Years

I have my roof cleaned and approved EPDM roof protectant applied every six months and have done this without fail since I purchased new in August 2010. This cleaning and treatment is done by my selling dealer service manger. I do spend 4 months each summer on the Florida Gulf Coast at a state park and have done this for 5 consecutive years. One year I spent 5 months so my roof has been subjected to 21 months of lots of UV and heat over the past 5 years. Over the past few months the roof has started to show signs of age, primarily where the a/c's discharge their condensation drip.

This past week when the cleaning was done some rippling of the roof material directly in front of the front a/c was noticed. There was a small seepage of water apparently going through the membrane where it was cracking "alligator skin look" (picture attached). The same thing is happening by the rear a/c, but to a slightly lesser degree. The bottom line is a new roof.

Now for my rant. This roof material was made by Alpha Systems and I reported the alligator skin issue to them a year ago when it was first noticed. They said this was normal aging and no problem. Now a year later we have a failure issue which they still say is normal aging and a non warranty issue. My dealer, which has been in business for over 30 years, says they have never seen Alpha Systems pay any warranty claim. But even if they did agree it was a warranty issue they would have only paid approx $250.00 per their pro-rate schedule which you can not find on their web site. I had to get a copy from my dealer. Their 12 year warranty is not worth the ink it takes to print this on their literature. I wonder why the RV manufacturers even print this "warranty" since it is so bad.

Yesterday I did apply a temporary approved EPDM repair to the area in front of my front a/c pending waiting for my selling dealer to get me in for roof replacement. I used the two step Dicor product. Why didn't I just put the 5'er under a roof? I would, but I don't have that option, so the Dicor system seemed to be a good option. Besides I full time and I have a trip planned for next week to Disney with the grandchildren.

I feel much better this morning with the bad spot being freshly coated so I should be good for a few weeks until the total replacement is done. Fortunately the leak was caught very early and there is no damage internally that is visible.
Attached Thumbnails
Front #2 (Copy).jpg  

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:16 AM   #2
Site Team

What type of new roof material are they going to install?

Check out www.rvroof.com I have heard good things about them.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 07:13 AM   #3

edatlanta-

You did good catching that leak before any significant damage was done.

My fifth wheel is a 2011 and I've got an Alpha Systems EPDM roof on mine. So your post is really getting my attention.

Do you happen to know if your roof is EPDM or TPO?

Do you believe that the water is leaking through the "alligator skin" area?
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 07:54 AM   #4

I have not researched the roof system as it doesn't apply to me. Lots of people keep RV's in the areas you mention. Are complaints like yours popping up a bunch on the internet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
I have my roof cleaned and approved EPDM roof protectant applied every six months and have done this without fail since I purchased new in August 2010. This cleaning and treatment is done by my selling dealer service manger. ...
Maybe too much of a good thing?

A 6 month treatment schedule seems very aggressive to me. Any product designed to adhere to the roof surface needs some ability to bond. Often the bonding is facilitated by a solvent which under normal use flashes off and doesn't alter the membrane structure *much*.

"Approved". Approved by whom? Is the product that was applied approved on such an aggressive maintenance schedule? I was under the impression that most roof system manufacturers recommend periodic cleaning with soap products until there are indications of deterioration.

Check with some roofing experts. My comments are just questions.

FWIW. vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 08:13 AM   #5
Site Team

Is a whole roof replacement necessary at this point or could you just patch the affected areas by the AC with Eternabond and get several more years out of it? As for the warranty I have always been skeptical about those long term warranties like they have on roofs, including residential ones. They are very easy for them to deny or prorate down to the point where they are worthless.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 08:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Check out RV Roof Sprayed Sealant I have heard good things about them.
This looks interesting. If you have to pay out of pocket because the Alpha warranty is useless, I wonder what the cost of this vs. total roof replacement would be. The spray on seems to be a little less invasive than total roof replacement as well. My Alpha roof is going on 5 years old now and not showing your kind of damage. I gently wash it once a year with a soft bristle brush. I hope you get it all figured out.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 09:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
What type of new roof material are they going to install?

Check out RV Roof Sprayed Sealant I have heard good things about them.

It will most likely be Dicor. I'm definitely not going to give Alpha Systems anymore of my business. Now in all fairness Dicor might be just as bad, but I don't know that at this point.

I have heard good things about rv roof as well and there are actually two different companies with very similar names and services. I'm just not comfortable with the concept.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
Old 12-13-2015, 09:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
edatlanta-

You did good catching that leak before any significant damage was done.

My fifth wheel is a 2011 and I've got an Alpha Systems EPDM roof on mine. So your post is really getting my attention.

Do you happen to know if your roof is EPDM or TPO?

Do you believe that the water is leaking through the "alligator skin" area?
My roof is EPDM.

Yes, the leak is through the alligator skin area. Alpha Systems said a year ago that this cracking was normal and didn't go through the black substrate, just the white top portion. Obviously BS.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Is a whole roof replacement necessary at this point or could you just patch the affected areas by the AC with Eternabond and get several more years out of it? As for the warranty I have always been skeptical about those long term warranties like they have on roofs, including residential ones. They are very easy for them to deny or prorate down to the point where they are worthless.
I have similar areas by the rear a/c also, but just not as bad. I'm scared not to replace the entire thing. What if I'm not lucky the next time and catch it early. Most insurance policies do not include coverage for water leakage, so I don't want a major structural issue on top of a roof.

This picture is the roof on the right side of the rear a/c. This discoloration/stain/etc. area as well as other portions of the roof just convinces me to get rid of it all.
Attached Thumbnails
Rear #2 (Copy).jpg  

Old 12-13-2015, 10:05 AM   #10

I think both Alpha Ply and EPDM have been discontinued. That is why JAYCO is using the new single ply roofing material.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I think both Alpha Ply and EPDM have been discontinued. That is why JAYCO is using the new single ply roofing material.
I noticed that on their web site.

I'm just glad I got my leak patched up two days ago. The rain started about 4 hours ago. So far so good. I just want the patch to hold up for one more trip and until my dealer can get the replacement done.

Three days to "leave for Ft. Wilderness".

Old 12-14-2015, 07:58 AM   #12

Have you ever thought about having a truck bed liner sprayed on the roof? If/when I have to replace mine that is what I will be doing...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:48 AM   #13

Hey Ed, I PM'd you, but here's a link to a similar discussion. I think BigJohnD has some good info here:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f4...oof-31493.html

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
Have you ever thought about having a truck bed liner sprayed on the roof? If/when I have to replace mine that is what I will be doing...

I agree with Sean, Line-X or Rhino Lining is the way to go. And it's guaranteed for LIFE.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:29 PM   #15

Some like the Line-X or Rhino, and that's fine, just remember, there are different products under those names, and some have no business on a RV roof. Rhino does the truck beds, then has the different product for the RV roof.

I prefer the Flex Armor from the RV Roof guys. They are not people who did truck bed liners and eased into the market of RV roofs. All they do is RV roofs, every day. I'd say they know the sprayed roof deal better than the others. Another problem with the Rhino, is you get too many varying qualities of work across the US (Different installers), kind of like good vs. crappy service centers and dealers. With Flex Armor, just one place, that's it. You know you're going to get very good service. I do know a few guys that have the Flex Armor. Forest River actually paid to have it done to a motorhome, under warranty, as it was cheaper than bringing it back to Elkhart and putting a new roof on.

If it were my money, and I needed a roof, off to Florida I'd go to visit the RV Roof guys. If you need any contact info, I have that as well. They're always happy to give you a quote, or send you a sample of the stuff.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Some like the Line-X or Rhino, and that's fine, just remember, there are different products under those names, and some have no business on a RV roof. Rhino does the truck beds, then has the different product for the RV roof.

I prefer the Flex Armor from the RV Roof guys. They are not people who did truck bed liners and eased into the market of RV roofs. All they do is RV roofs, every day. I'd say they know the sprayed roof deal better than the others. Another problem with the Rhino, is you get too many varying qualities of work across the US (Different installers), kind of like good vs. crappy service centers and dealers. With Flex Armor, just one place, that's it. You know you're going to get very good service. I do know a few guys that have the Flex Armor. Forest River actually paid to have it done to a motorhome, under warranty, as it was cheaper than bringing it back to Elkhart and putting a new roof on.

If it were my money, and I needed a roof, off to Florida I'd go to visit the RV Roof guys. If you need any contact info, I have that as well. They're always happy to give you a quote, or send you a sample of the stuff.
Their Web site shows multiple locations. One in Madison, MS which is closer to me than Florida. Are you saying their remote dealers aren't as good?
Old 12-15-2015, 08:24 PM   #17

Ok, there was only one at one time. I stand, or sit corrected on that one. Sorry about that. When I was looking at having it done a while back, it was pretty much Florida. That's where we were going to go to have ours done, which is pretty much the home of the place. I can't vouch for the other locations and how good their work is. I only know some people that have had it done at the original location.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 05:13 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Ok, there was only one at one time. I stand, or sit corrected on that one. Sorry about that. When I was looking at having it done a while back, it was pretty much Florida. That's where we were going to go to have ours done, which is pretty much the home of the place. I can't vouch for the other locations and how good their work is. I only know some people that have had it done at the original location.
Thanks John. I was mainly making sure we were talking about the same company. There is another company with a similar name in Florida, but the FlexArmor one looks better to me and their Madison, MS location is only 230 miles from me vs over 550.

I have been communicating with Gary Patterson, owner of the Madison, MS location and am going to drive over to see him right after the first of the year. I want to see his operation and just get a good look see. I am definitely leaning this way.

Old 12-18-2015, 04:57 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
I'm leaning toward a sprayed on roof from RV Roof Sprayed Sealant. It is cheaper than replacing the OEM type rubber roof and appears to be much better. I have lost all faith in the membrane type rubber roofs and their 12 year warranty is a joke.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:48 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
I'm leaning toward a sprayed on roof from RV Roof Sprayed Sealant. It is cheaper than replacing the OEM type rubber roof and appears to be much better. I have lost all faith in the membrane type rubber roofs and their 12 year warranty is a joke.
Hey Ed, keep us updated. And good luck!

I'm VERY interested in how this goes for you.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote