Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-08-2017, 10:50 AM   #1

Manually Retract Power Awning

I contacted Jayco on how to retract a power awning manually - just to be prepared. They said there is a bar you insert into the awning by the entry door that allows you to crank it in. My owner packet did not contain a bar...anyone ever done this ? Can you post a picture of what this bar looks like ? Thanks.
bdcjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:52 AM   #2

I am 60% sure that it is the same back as for stabilizer jacks. I haven't tried it out.
mod: Dimming awning
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:57 PM   #3

Which awning? A&E, carefree, LCI?
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:14 PM   #4

I'll have to check and get back.... it's a 2015 Feather Ultra Lite. I have the brochure but it just lists "awning". I'll have to do a visual.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:52 PM   #5
Site Team

There is no standard method or tool. It depends on which brand and model.

Mine has no manual method of retracting the awning. It comes with a external wire harness that you attach to a external battery. Carefree of Colorado.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 03:47 PM   #6

My power awning came with a fabric strap that fits into a groove in the awning retracting drum. If the awning fails to close, attach the strap and loosen the motor screws at the end of the drum. Use the strap to control how fast the awning retracts. Essentially the drum contains a spring that winds when the motor opens the awning. Once open the spring has enough force to fully retract the awning without motor assist.

No, I have not tried it myself. However a friend of mine had his awning fail to close one night. He has a 5th wheel and the awning was quite high. I loaned him my strap since he could not find his. While he held the strap I stood on the top of a step ladder and loosened the motor screws. Prior to loosening the screws I disconnected the motor plug. In the dark I chickened out on loosening the last screw having visions of me flying off the ladder as the awning sprung closed. I retightened the screws and plugged the motor back in. Out of frustration my friend hit the awning switch one more time. The awning closed. We concluded the plug must have been the problem.
Popcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 03:54 PM   #7

Like Norty's, my CoC awning has a wiring harness provided with the trailer that can be used with any 12v supply (most likely the TV) to retract the awning. It attaches directly to the motor in the awning head after removing the cover - I understand newer ones have a fitting in the head unit for this now.

If the motor was somehow seized or burned out, I guess I would be disassembling the head unit and figuring out how to crank it back manually.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcycle View Post
My power awning came with a fabric strap that fits into a groove in the awning retracting drum. If the awning fails to close, attach the strap and loosen the motor screws at the end of the drum. Use the strap to control how fast the awning retracts. Essentially the drum contains a spring that winds when the motor opens the awning. Once open the spring has enough force to fully retract the awning without motor assist.
My awning came with the same tool - Keep in mind once you retract the awning by loosening the motor screws and allow it to "walk back in" it must be taken to a dealer so the spring can be rewound. This makes this procedure difficult or impossible to practice in advance...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:39 AM   #9

Thanks

Thanks all...sorry took so long to get back. Didn't have a chance to go to the storage lot to see the brand till now. It is Dometic , and I found the book that includes the "tool" , as you all said, is just the strap to control the retraction after loosening the screws. Thanks for the help. Now I'm ready for disater , so it won't happen....