Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-11-2016, 01:08 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboocreek View Post
snip...
Live traps, catch and release mice lol.
Yup. Happy wife, happy life.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 01:29 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Yup. Happy wife, happy life.
In our case, it's my daughter that is driving the catch and release method. We have chickens though so if you've ever experienced that, it raises the mouse problem to an entirely different level. We release them in a field that is frequented by owl's, coyotes, cats and other predators a few miles from home. We've released over 30 of them this year.

If it was just me, I'd be tempted to just throw the live trap in a bucket of ice water and dispose of them.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 02:51 PM   #23

The mice from our trailer were released in a field that is (was) a whole new world for them: The field has at least a pair of hawks and coyotes and from the point they entered our trailer, the mice were about 60mi from home (as the crow flys ) and about 3,500ft lower in elevation.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:01 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman1372 View Post
Anyone using spray foam to close up holes underneath?
I used spray cans from underneath by adding a foot of clear plastic pipe that just fit over the spray can tube. That way I could direct it up into the floor after I packed the holes with aluminum screen wire scraps. Don't forget to use disposable rubber gloves! Old shirt is a good idea. I pre-packed the holes from inside and went into the unit and shot all the holes around pipe and wires I could find.

You can clean out the spray valve and tube with acetone if you do it right away. This lets you save the rest of the can for later when you find that hole(s) you missed the first time around.
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:04 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboocreek View Post
You can seal up all the possible places that mice may get in but often the problem originates in camping season when your doors are open, and when some of your storage and other access areas are opened up. That's why poison is your friend.

Live traps, catch and release mice lol.
I'm on board with this. Mice aren't endangered unless I find them in the house or TT. Then I'll endanger the heck out of them - no sympathy. I'm sure not going to release them so they can continue to procreate.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 12:26 PM   #26
Site Team

When you are FOAMING all your holes that you can see, do not forget about the ones that you can not see. Here are a couple good size holes that are between the sink and behind the TT's electrical breakers/fuse panel.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
EAGLE - Electrical Wiring Floor Opening.jpg   EAGLE - Water Hose Floor Opening.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 02:17 PM   #27
Lost in the Woods

Thanks for all the tips. Until the snow clears, I'll keep setting traps until I can get under it to plug all the holes. I'm up to mouse number 7 !!
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 05:51 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
The mice from our trailer were released in a field that is (was) a whole new world for them: The field has at least a pair of hawks and coyotes and from the point they entered our trailer, the mice were about 60mi from home (as the crow flys ) and about 3,500ft lower in elevation.
hey oldmanAZ, keep your mice up there in the mountains, we got enough critters down here!

sorry if this offends anyone, mice and rats carry too many diseases and they reproduce like... >= rabbits. any rat I see anywhere near our dwelling is dead and disposed of.
azrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 11:11 AM   #29

We also have x213 but our main problem was dirt getting in when towing on gravel\dirt roads. Found most of the gaps were where plumbing lines penetrate the floor and some of the gaps were big enough for mice. You can only get to many of these lines from inside the trailer as the directly into the tanks below. We sealed them with both caulking and spray foam
1 water tank under table seat
2 kitchen sink drain below the sink
3 shower ptrap\drain behind access hatch
4 black water tank vent line inside the interior wall beside toilet

Also I had opened up the void space in front area to make storage and discovered mice droppings there. The access was the wiring dimming in which most of the caulking had fallen out during manufacture.

Spent a day sealing up every electrical and plumbing peretration and no more dust and no more mice evidence. Hope this helps. Good luck
RobertCowdery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 01:32 PM   #30
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertCowdery View Post
We also have x213 but our main problem was dirt getting in when towing on gravel\dirt roads. Found most of the gaps were where plumbing lines penetrate the floor and some of the gaps were big enough for mice. You can only get to many of these lines from inside the trailer as the directly into the tanks below. We sealed them with both caulking and spray foam
1 water tank under table seat
2 kitchen sink drain below the sink
3 shower ptrap\drain behind access hatch
4 black water tank vent line inside the interior wall beside toilet

Also I had opened up the void space in front area to make storage and discovered mice droppings there. The access was the wiring dimming in which most of the caulking had fallen out during manufacture.

Spent a day sealing up every electrical and plumbing peretration and no more dust and no more mice evidence. Hope this helps. Good luck
Yes this helps, thank-you.
I noticed there's a large hole directly under the shower/tub and as you say, is only accessible from inside the trailer. I think I will stuff steel wool in these areas then seal that in with the spray foam.
Old 12-26-2016, 02:58 PM   #31

Highly recommend Mouse-Free! Just checked our camper which has been parked out back next to the woods in the back 40 since November with absolutely no sign of mice! I know there are mice there as I park my tractor out there all summer and had mice in that! We had mice in it over the summer before I used Mouse-Free too. This is our second camper which I applied it with no mice since application.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:10 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPreeb View Post
I'm on board with this. Mice aren't endangered unless I find them in the house or TT. Then I'll endanger the heck out of them - no sympathy. I'm sure not going to release them so they can continue to procreate.
+1
Old 12-27-2016, 12:06 PM   #33

I use bounce dryer sheets. I put them in drawers, closet, under the tub and sinks, and jus lay them all around during storage and the work very well. They last about 1 month so I jus walk thru tossing them about once a month.

TV- 2015 CHEVY 2500 DURAMAX
TT- 2015 JAYCO EAGLE 314BHDS
bigmeaux12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:46 AM   #34
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmeaux12 View Post
I use bounce dryer sheets. I put them in drawers, closet, under the tub and sinks, and jus lay them all around during storage and the work very well. They last about 1 month so I jus walk thru tossing them about once a month.

TV- 2015 CHEVY 2500 DURAMAX
TT- 2015 JAYCO EAGLE 314BHDS
Bounce sheets do nothing to prevent mice. I had a whole box spread in the trailer, and still trapped 7 of them.
I'd like to find something that just injures them, so they will limp back to where they came from and tell the rest of their little buddys to keep out of my ****ing trailer or else this is what will happen to them.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:25 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Bounce sheets do nothing to prevent mice. I had a whole box spread in the trailer, and still trapped 7 of them.
I'd like to find something that just injures them, so they will limp back to where they came from and tell the rest of their little buddys to keep out of my ****ing trailer or else this is what will happen to them.
Unfortunitly, mice aren't that smart.

Wipe out the current lot, more will show up. Including scurrying over the dead bodies. If there is food or shelter they will settle in.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 02:24 PM   #36

Mice mice mice !!!

Mice have very poor eyesight and rely heavily on their whiskers and nose. I have success just by clogging up entry points underneath the camper. Also I use cab fresh inside the camper including storage bins and the plumbing basement. I also use moth balls underneath the camper. I put some in enclosed plastic containers with holes so that the pets won't eat them but it helps to keep mice from hanging around the camper. Keep the grass cut and the leaves away from your RV. Mice don't like an open area for travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
clarche is offline   Reply With Quote