Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-10-2016, 08:46 AM   #1
Lost in the Woods

Mice mice mice !!!

Arrrggggh !! I have an X-213, and can't keep them out.
I honestly have no idea where these things could find a way to get in. Originally I thought they were coming in where the power cable comes in, but I've stuffed tin foil in the opening and they are still coming in. There must be an opening under the trailer somewhere where these critters are finding a way in.
Is there a product I could spread around the perimeter of the trailer to keep them away? So far, they haven't done any damage, but it's only a matter of time.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 08:55 AM   #2

I have been using Eco Defense Mice Repellent and it seems to work; no mice around. I like because it is an organic product and eco-friendly.

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:06 AM   #3

Cats and copious amounts of mouse poison. Most other remedies make us feel better but do little to control the mice. One of my barn cats practically lives under my camper and some days looks to fat to move.

Rarely do I see mouse sign in the camper.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboocreek View Post
Rarely do I see mouse sign in the camper.
I would hope never, with that fat cat around... hehehe

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:41 AM   #5

alot of old car guys I know swear by Cab Fresh. I have not used it. I crawled underneath the htt, and found every wire hole, filled it with a bit of steelwool, then I caulk the hole. went inside and did the same.

Never gave had a mouse isssue

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:52 AM   #6

I have yet to notice any signs of mice in mine. After reading a threat regarding mice a new months back, I did an inspection and to be safe, put out some poison in the storage area. This subject always reminds me of the statement I heard on television once regarding mice and disease. "A human is never more that 9 feet away from a mouse/rat."

Shorty
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 11:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
alot of old car guys I know swear by Cab Fresh. I have not used it. I crawled underneath the htt, and found every wire hole, filled it with a bit of steelwool, then I caulk the hole. went inside and did the same.

Never gave had a mouse isssue
This x100....I had a mouse problem as soon as I got my TT home (we live in the country surrounded my cornfields and animals.
I bought six cans of the Pestblocker spray foam from Home Depot and crawled underneath trailer and sealed every crack and crevice (a mouse can squeeze in a hole the size of a tic-tac). Sealed every hole in the frame and belly cover then went inside and sealed every plumbing and wiring hole coming up from floor and through walls. Look under beds, under stove, under sinks, under and behind everything and seal any hole no matter how small. Then I threw "cab fresh" packets in the storage areas, under the sinks, and one in closet. I then added the screen protectors over all outside vents because I found mouse poop behind fridge vent and said hell no.
I've had no mice now all season so be vigilant, leave live traps out just in case.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 02:57 PM   #8

Thank goodness have never had mice in our RVs. We use Fresh Cab and small mesh bags filled with cloves and bay leaves in all the cabinets. Smells great, but hopefully not to the mice.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 05:05 PM   #9

We've never had mice, whether at home during spring/summer/early fall or in storage. We live in a city but do have mice run around in the yard sometimes, so I don't know why they don't get inside the trailer while it's parked here. We store our trailer at a place with gravel covering almost the entire storage area, and I think that is the main reason we don't get mice during the winter. I stuff dryer sheets in the obvious openings in the trailer, as I've been told that keeps them away.

Good luck...
John K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 08:30 PM   #10

Had mice in two prior trailers, a pop up and a Trailmanor. As a result I took a lot of the steps mentioned above.

Crawl under and look for even the tinest opening around wires, pipes, etc. Stuff with screen wire, metal mesh, whatever and caulk. Make sure your wheel wells are tight. Then go inside and check every opening and plug from the inside.

Next , block all exterior openings, furnace, water heater, refrigerator vents (yep, on one trailer that is where they got in), check around water and electric inlets.

I spread plenty of fresh cab around.

Then I put in sticky traps under the cabinets, at each of the doors, and at the storage compartment doors.

Then I put bait blocks on top of the tires under the sun block covers.

Good luck, all this is nothing compared to the damage a couple of mice can do.
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
snip...
Good luck, all this is nothing compared to the damage a couple of mice can do.
Late this summer, we found a few mouse turds and knew we had a mouse. After about a week, we bought a live trap to get rid of the mouse. The first day we set the trap we caught it. Took it miles away from any buildings and released it.

We found a few new turds and knew we weren't done. The second mouse was smarter and it took about 3 days to catch that one. When I released it, I noticed it was MUCH larger than the first one. That was the end of the mouse turds.

BUT, I suspect the second mouse was a pregnant female and I'm certain we got her out of there just in time! It doesn't take long for a couple of mice to create a whole litter and a BIG problem.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboocreek View Post
Cats and copious amounts of mouse poison.
+1 no problems
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:23 PM   #13

Steel wool
Dizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:54 PM   #14

We had a rat in ours a few years back. It got in where the wires enter the trailer under the bath area. There is a huge hole that I filled with silicone. Last month I had one get in cause I did not close the flap on the power cord.
rodandmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 06:18 AM   #15

We use cab fresh and the green can spray foam from Home Depot. Rodents do not like the taste of this spray foam. First I take 0000 steel wool and put it into any openings around wires, pipes, etc. then spray the foam...Working so far knock on wood.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:38 AM   #16

I just added a few items to my to do list. I have to stop reading the forums or I will never go camping lol
Old 12-11-2016, 08:52 AM   #17
Lost in the Woods

Anyone using spray foam to close up holes underneath?
Gman1372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:44 AM   #18
Lost in the Woods

Thanks for the good tips ! Unfortunately I am in a rural area and we live beside fields. I have never had any mouse issues with previous trailers, only this Jayco which we purchased early this year. I regret not crawling under the trailer a month ago when it was still warm out, but now that there's snow on the ground I will have to just keep on baiting and trapping till spring.
We originally found out mice were going in when my wife saw one of them walk up the power cable and got into the trailer at the inlet where the flap is. This IMO, is a lousy design. Our old trailer (R-Vision) had a connector where you could take the power cable right off. We always keep the trailer plugged in, and found out the hard way that when it gets cold out, the wire becomes too stiff to push back into the trailer, so I had to wrap it around the spare tire for the winter. I wont make the same mistake next year. Another beef I have with the power cable is that it's supposed to get pushed into a small box inside the trailer with no access door. By using a small endoscopic camera, we were able to see that that's where the mice were building a nest. It was difficult getting it out of there because the only access is through the flap door on the outside.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 11:28 AM   #19

You can buy a kit to convert your cord to removable and get rid of the mouse hole. Recent thread on it here:
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...ble-40117.html
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 12:24 PM   #20

You can seal up all the possible places that mice may get in but often the problem originates in camping season when your doors are open, and when some of your storage and other access areas are opened up. That's why poison is your friend.

Live traps, catch and release mice lol.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote