Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-12-2015, 05:44 AM   #1

Mold/mildew

Hello All,
I live in South Carolina and weve had a tremendous amount of rain lately. I went out to my rv to check everything out for our upcoming Thanksgiving trip only to discover a fuzzy green mold/mildew in several areas such as walls, wood items and pillows. Any advice on what to do? I've been leaving the a/c on low to help with air flow, should I get a small dehu for when its sitting? Thanks for any advice.
jwrenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 06:09 AM   #2
Site Team

When my rig is in the yard with power, we always have a dehumidifier running. Bought from Lowes for around $150. It keeps all mildew out.
Note: we dump it every few days when it's real humid. I have thought about routing the drain outside but have never got around to it.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 06:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
When my rig is in the yard with power, we always have a dehumidifier running. Bought from Lowes for around $150. It keeps all mildew out.
Note: we dump it every few days when it's real humid. I have thought about routing the drain outside but have never got around to it.
X2 and I keep my Hybrid mattress's in the house during the winter months.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwrenn View Post
Hello All,
I live in South Carolina and weve had a tremendous amount of rain lately. I went out to my rv to check everything out for our upcoming Thanksgiving trip only to discover a fuzzy green mold/mildew in several areas such as walls, wood items and pillows. Any advice on what to do? I've been leaving the a/c on low to help with air flow, should I get a small dehu for when its sitting? Thanks for any advice.
Damp Rid or a small dehimidifier is key. A tightly buttoned up unit is also bad. If you have Maxx air covers crack all the vents to allow for air flow into the unit.

I had a friend who rented a mold abatement mister from HD to treat his unit several years ago. Also you can wipe hard surfaces down with a high concentration of peroxide, but do not get any on fabric or rugs as it will act like bleach. Bleach is also effective, but much more harsh.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 12:26 PM   #5

What Norty1 said. Since it gets rather chilly and damp (Seattle area) around here at times I also put a 200 watt heater directly in front of the dehumidifier to keep it from shutting down. I put the dehumidifier and the heater on a timer and run it three hours a day.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
Damp Rid or a small dehimidifier is key. A tightly buttoned up unit is also bad. If you have Maxx air covers crack all the vents to allow for air flow into the unit.
Good advice. I had my dealer throw in Max-Air vent covers when I bought my Jayco. I keep my roof vents open about 1 inch, all year long. The vent covers won't let in any snow or rain, but they will definitely allow air to circulate.

Also - keep your skylights open to let in as much overhead light as possible. Darkness and dampness are the friend of mold and mildew!

Mike

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 05:41 PM   #7
Site Team

Down here in Florida, I leave both roof vents open all the way (have max air covers). The bathroom fan is on a thermostat and runs during the day. So far this plan has worked for us. No mold or mildew.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 05:49 PM   #8

Vent covers! and a bucket of Damp Rid during long storage... no mold or mildew...

2019 Open Range 374BHS
2107 Chevrolet 3500HD dually
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 07:16 PM   #9

Some Home Depot stores have industrial strength dehumidifiers for rent. My son rented one for a week when their second floor laundry room flooded. It thoroughly dried out the carpet and pad and they've not seen any signs of mold.

Good luck. That storm that hit your state was truly one for the record books.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:34 AM   #10

My experience is that vinegar is good for killing mold. Bleach and peroxides can be very effective, but even when diluted can be harsh. Vinegar can even be added to your clothes washer without worry of affecting colors like bleach can.

If you use bleach be certain to not mix it with other cleaners and keep well ventilated.

FWIW. vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 08:37 PM   #11

Keep the roof vent cracked and use DampRid or run a dehumidifier as suggested. I know what you mean about the humidity around here.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote