Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-16-2019, 01:09 PM   #1

Post My Fix for Sloppy Wiring

I am sure that I'm not alone in my frustration as to how sloppy the wiring in these things are. I have had the (un)fortunate experience of having to work on this rats nest of wiring during my installation of Ground Control 3.0 and the OneControl system.

Since I no longer use the monitoring panel after having installed the OneControl tank level module, I decided to re-work the wiring behind the panel and clean it up for the peace (or "piece" as my DW says that I need) of mind that it's not going to short out.

The first two pics show the wiring behind the monitor panel as it came from the factory, with one exception being the HVAC module which I installed. I really expected to find a dead rat tangled in that mess. The third photo is the excess cabling and quick-tap connectors I removed. The last photo is what it looks like now.

For anyone interested, I used this terminal block from Amazon. It's a decent terminal block although the covers are a bit loose. I attached them using 3M automotive trim tape.

I still need to do some more wire dressing before reinstalling the paneling
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3842.jpg   IMG_3847.jpg   IMG_3854.jpg   IMG_3852.jpg  
Shackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:59 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
The North American RV industry gets away with a lot of things, any electrician would loose his license.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
The North American RV industry gets away with a lot of things, any electrician would loose his license.
Completely agree with that... It would never pass an inspection around here.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:07 AM   #4

Does anyone have The wiring diagram to the grey tanks on a 2015 Jayco Eagle HT ?
HUNTER9776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 09:56 AM   #5

I just opened up my compartment for the first time yesterday. It wasn't as bad as some, but still a rats nest. I pulled several pieces of clipped wire out of there. It works for now. I'll revisit it when I get home from this trip.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:22 AM   #6

Contact Jayco customer service. They can send you pdf files for wiring and piping diagrams.3 Also, they have the antenna/cable diagrams
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:31 AM   #7

Speaking of wiring, my black tank sensor wires are hanging way down.

I thought about using aluminum duct tape to stick it to the bottom of the tank as there is nothing else to attach it to or support it from. I don't have any Etearnabond so that is out.

Don't want a stray rock or stick to pull them off!
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomson View Post
Contact Jayco customer service. They can send you pdf files for wiring and piping diagrams.3 Also, they have the antenna/cable diagrams
While this is true and helpful for the stud layouts, the wiring diagrams are purely schematic. I was hoping to see what side of my vent opening they ran the LV wires, but no such luck....
distracto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:57 AM   #9

Just to stir up some controversy, I'm not so sure sloppy wiring is a fire hazard. The hazard would be those crappy splices they use, improper ground ties, and loose connections at terminals and J boxes. Rats nest wiring just plain looks bad and is unprofessional. A worse problem is identifying wire ends. ALL wires should be clearly labeled to be identified on a schematic for destination.

I've cleaned up the rats nest wiring behind my computer more times than I can count and always end up ripping it apart for a new or updated device. Yeah, RV wiring is a bit different in that it most likely won't be revisited for device installation but it's kind of the same thing. That being said, I don't let the ugly mess bother me.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
Just to stir up some controversy, I'm not so sure sloppy wiring is a fire hazard. The hazard would be those crappy splices they use, improper ground ties, and loose connections at terminals and J boxes. Rats nest wiring just plain looks bad and is unprofessional. A worse problem is identifying wire ends. ALL wires should be clearly labeled to be identified on a schematic for destination.

I've cleaned up the rats nest wiring behind my computer more times than I can count and always end up ripping it apart for a new or updated device. Yeah, RV wiring is a bit different in that it most likely won't be revisited for device installation but it's kind of the same thing. That being said, I don't let the ugly mess bother me.
I think the fire hazard comes from the fact that without properly secured wires, it's possible (however remote) for a wire to fall off a screw or break off of a crimp and short against something else. Fuses can and do fail to blow so they should never be looked as for absolute protection.

I would be more worried about a wire falling off and shorting out one of the PCBs for the slide controller, or other components.
Old 09-01-2019, 01:02 PM   #11

I e-mailed Jayco Customer Service and they sent me all my schematics for my travel trailer except the electrical schematic. They wouldn't send it because my TT is still under warranty. They said once it is no longer under warranty I can send another e-mail and they'll send it to me. So, if your rig is no longer under warranty you should be able to get the electrical schematic and any or all the other schematics you want to request. Good Luck!
Retire- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 01:17 PM   #12

If you think about it... it would not pass any legitimate OCP inspection. All of the white wires should be attached to the ground point on the chassis individually.

As I see the daisy chain that they added six splice taps. So if you have each of those circuits drawing 10A. The segment that tied to the chassis is carrying six 10A ground segments - or potentially 60A on that wire that seems no bigger than a #14. That IS a FIRE HAZARD!
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote