Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-24-2017, 10:03 PM   #1

Mysterious leak at water fitting on toilet

So I have an intermittent leak coming from the fitting on the back of my toilet where the water line connects. This has only happened three times that I can recall. The first time it happened I assumed it was because the fitting was loose and I tightened it-the trailer was brand new and this was the first time I took it out. No leaks for a while, but around the third or fourth trip I came back to the trailer and noticed water on the floor. Looked at the fitting again, but it was still tight. I scratched my head and decided that I'd be more vigilant about turning off the pump when we weren't in the trailer. So this weekend it happened again. This was probably the 8th or 9th trip with the trailer, but I think I may have a reason. I flushed the toilet without the pump on. I went over to have a beer in my friends trailer and when I came back an hour later the water was there again. I have been turning the pump off when we're away from the trailer because I was worried about the leak. So I left the pump on all night and all the next day and no leaks. Can anyone explain why this fitting leaks when the pump is off and the toilet is flushed? I'm going to try and recreate this tomorrow to confirm that this is what is causing the water leak.

rgardjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:40 AM   #2
Site Team

So you are without city water and turn the pump off before flushing? I would think that you would not want to do that because no water would be left in the bottom for a seal from tank oders.

No clue why it would leak.

I would try another test doing the same thing with the pump on as see if it leaks. What brand of Loo is it?

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:51 AM   #3

We had an issue in our Greyhawk with the toilet leaking at the water inlet. At first it would only leak when the water pressure was high. Eventually it started leaking all the time. I put teflon tape on the fitting and tightened it up. Never had a problem again.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
So you are without city water and turn the pump off before flushing?

I would try another test doing the same thing with the pump on as see if it leaks. What brand of Loo is it?
I didn't realize that the pump was turned off until I flushed. I'm not sure why I didn't turn the pump back on to wash my hands before heading over for a beer, but I now have publicly shamed myself. After wiping up the water upon return I left the pump on until I packed up and headed for home-around 30 hours. Zero leaks in this period while the pump was on. I'm going to try to recreate this to see if the flush with no pump will result in a leak.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:10 PM   #5
Site Team

I do that often when we are just going in the rig to check something. I have had a Thetford and a Dometic. Never had that problem.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Old 09-25-2017, 12:11 PM   #6

Just noticed my spelling of mysterious in the thread topic-oh the shame.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:33 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgardjr View Post
Just noticed my spelling of mysterious in the thread topic-oh the shame.
Fixed

Old 09-25-2017, 12:34 PM   #8

So I was unsuccessful in recreating the problem. So I decided to disconnect the water line from the toilet. It looked like the fitting was slightly cross threaded from the factory. Before I unscrewed the fitting I wiggled the hose and I was able to make water leak between the black threaded piece and the white elbow that the water line clips on to. The water hose is pretty rigid and doesn't have much play. So I disconnected the water line and pulled some additional line out to get a little play in the line to make getting the threads started correctly easier. I got it pretty tight and wiggled the water line and got a little click out of the fitting. I'm hoping this was the elbow properly seating itself into the toilet side fitting. I then tightened the black fitting down as tight as I can using my hands. I wiggled the hose and didn't get any water leaking like before. Hopefully this is the end of the mystery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2017, 12:47 PM   #9
Site Team

Can you feel that hose when the pump is running feeling for vibration?

Whatever, it's fixed!

Old 09-25-2017, 03:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.g View Post
We had an issue in our Greyhawk with the toilet leaking at the water inlet. At first it would only leak when the water pressure was high. Eventually it started leaking all the time. I put teflon tape on the fitting and tightened it up. Never had a problem again.

-Michael
I did this same thing w/ our old Thetford Aquamagic toilet and it solved the problem. Hasn't happened yet w/ our new Dometic 310.

Current TV: 2010 Chevy 2500HD, CC, LB, Duramax/Allison

mikefos is offline   Reply With Quote