Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-03-2022, 05:41 PM   #1

Nail/screw pop under linoleum

Any suggestions on fixing a nail/screw pop under the linoleum?

I was thinking of cutting an "X" over the offending fastener, bending it back enough to resecure it and then gluing the vinyl back down with vinyl glue or tape.
Old 07-03-2022, 07:55 PM   #2

There are other threads on this very topic. You suggested fix is what you will find is the best solution to your problem. Once completed only you will know where it is.
Demco 18K Autoslide Hitch and Timbrens
2019 Ford F350 SB 6.7L Diesel (Gone)
Radar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 06:50 AM   #3
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprnova74 View Post
Any suggestions on fixing a nail/screw pop under the linoleum?

I was thinking of cutting an "X" over the offending fastener, bending it back enough to resecure it and then gluing the vinyl back down with vinyl glue or tape.
Be advised however that whenever you cut into loose laid vinyl flooring there's a shrink issue which will often open up any cuts in the flooring. One alternative ( if the pop is a nail or staple) is to place a flat bar over the pop and give it a good smack (with a hammer) right over the pop ( without the flat bar you'll cut the vinyl). That won't work with a screw, however. If you must cut the vinyl, squeeze a patch of flooring adhesive in the area under the cut work the excess out with a roller or a rolled up wet cloth, clean it off and then seal the cut.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 08:08 AM   #4

If it is a screw I use this X method too. I cut the X a bit larger, 1 inch or so and carefully slide a #2 Philips head screwdriver into the head of the screw. In my case it is a 1/4x20 3 3/4 inch self tapping screw and remove it. I put a good amount of Red Thread Locker on the threads and reinsert the screw and run it home, being careful not to get the locker on the vinyl flooring. I dont over tighten the screw. I use "Armstrong flooring S-761 Seam Adhesive" to finish the repair however after rolling i put a heavy piece of steel, about 4 lbs, on top of the repair and let it dry.
My 2020 26XD has had 8 of these screws pop up into the flooring. And so far this fix has done the job. I bought the floor adhesive at Lowes.
Old 07-04-2022, 04:42 PM   #5

i guess my google-foo wasn't too good when i was searching as i wasn't finding the right hits. sorry for any repeat subjects.

I'm not sure if it's a nail or screw, if it's a screw and I attempt to just smack it down with a block of wood overtop, it could cut the flooring and then I'll be replacing a whole section (if I can even find a matching area)

I sent Jayco an email to ask about the fasteners on the floor. I'm guessing screws but we'll see.
Old 07-04-2022, 06:57 PM   #6

When I had my first 2 pushing up the vinyl floor, I didn't know what they were either. I brought the RV to my dealer to have them check out the problem. When the job was done and I picked up the RV the dealer said that th e problem was the floor hold down screws twisting and pushing up the vinyl. They said they took care of the screws and I was all set.
I went on another trip and 2 more screws were pushing up. So I went under the RV to find what these were anchored to. I found they were screwed into box steel tubing. Using my inspection camera I found that the previous screws that the dealer "took care of" had been removed and the hole filled with putty. I called the dealer and the service manager said that removal was the factory fix for this problem. I asked him how many could be removed before the house fell off the chassis and he laughed and hung up. As I posted, I have repaired 8 of these including the 2 that were removed ( that would be the subject for another post). So far after putting on another 10,000 miles no more have come loose. However I keep a close watch and fingers crossed. I never returned to my dealer for work, i just do it myself, so I guess he, the dealer, accomplished his mission.