Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-07-2011, 01:01 PM   #1

Question New Eagle

The story starts this past spring. We started looking for our first 5er and seeing as we were current, very satisfied Jayco owners, we wanted another Jayco. To my surprise it was very difficult to find a bunk house 5er on anyone’s lot. After a couple of months and a couple of bad experiences with salesmen, we ordered a 30.5 BHLT from our local dealer. Well, last week the trailer made its two week journey from Indiana to western NY (not sure why that takes two weeks). We took delivery on Wednesday and headed out for the Labor Day weekend on Friday. After spending several hours of our Holiday fixing many little issue, we dropped the unit back off at the dealer on Monday. Here is a list of things we have found.
• Trim on bunks loose (we had dealer fix at delivery)
• Solid surface counter is damaged (dealer to submit claim)
• Break-away switch wires hanging loose, had to be tie wrapped up
• Brake wires hanging unsupported and rubbing on wall of tire
• Gas line was bent down to form a low hanging loop under trailer, looked like to had already caught on road debris and bent a skirt support.
• Snap strap on front compartment fold up floor had to be moved in order to work
• Screen door wont latch, about ¼” gap between catch and latch
• Screen door is rubbing finish off of the entry door handle
• Entry door wont latch unless slammed, then it binds and won’t open
• Bathroom sink stopper will not sit up to drain
• Shore power socket screws were loose, leaving a gap between housing and seal
• The dump drain was filled with water down side of the valves giving me a surprise at the dump station when I removed the cap
• Oh, and the big one…the fresh water tank over flow was not extended below the underbelly, thus filling the underbelly with water when I pulled into an un-level site.
I love the design, the warranty, and he components used. I am not too sure about the quality of the workmanship and the quality of the dealers prep. I purchased my Jay Flight new from the same dealer two years ago and did not have a single problem! Nothing, not even a single loose screw! Hopefully this is not sign to the times……
hockeydad3061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:25 PM   #2

But aren't you proud of Jayco that they were able to build your trailer in 6 hours?
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:15 PM   #3

Camper 10

I feel the same way about my camper, I had a 2004 29 FBS and had NO problems with the camper. Last year I bought a new 2010 365BHS and had TOO many problems. After 3 trips back to the dealer and list as long as your arm, I hope the problems are fixed. Poor quality from the factory and I contacted Jayco, THEY DID NOT CARE AND MADE EXCUSES. Jayco may have lost my next business and if they keep letting the quality go down. Jayco will lose the #1 selling RV in the US.
Camper 10
2010 365 BHS
2004 Dodge 3500 Single Axle,Manual 6 Speed
taylorj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:38 AM   #4

Today starts the fourth week of our first trip with our 2012 321RLTS fiver. We are now in Oregon after having driven 2560 miles and are happy to report we have not found one problem with our new camper. I did not expect a perfect camper, but am extremely pleased with this unit.

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2012 321RLTS Eagle (sold)
2011 F350 CC SB
dzwiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:09 PM   #5

We have had our new unit since Nov 2010 but it is a 2011. I would like to say that our experience has been a very positive one with the first season of 30 and counting days lived in our unit.

The dealer had my unit for a week prior to pick up. Did they go over it that well or better than any other dealer would, doubt it. That being said trim pieces, cabinets, doors and features are all as they were when we picked up, without issue. I guess it's a hit or miss, or could even be specific line personell that some of these units with issues are failing with. Maybe even timing of orders with production levels. Even my AC bolts were torqued correctly and as of last weeks inspection and 1500+ miles over the road are still correct.

We did just loose the ability to lower our power rear jacks after traveling home last trip. It is going into the shop next week for warranty so we'll see how that goes. I can't blame them for that one, it's mechanical failure of the motor. Has power to it just not cranking down by motor. Had to do it manually.

Aside from that the unit has been good to us and lived up the reputation and standards that we figured into our purchase.

p.s. In writing this I am probaly going to jinx the whole thing and regret it...hopefully not.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:14 PM   #6

We too had a list as long as your arm. Part of it was flxed by the selling dealer and the rest was fixed two months later by another dealer with better qualified technicians. Now all is well and we are very happy. We had some of the same door issues that you mentioned.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
But aren't you proud of Jayco that they were able to build your trailer in 6 hours?
That's the problem.
PrellFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:26 PM   #8

We got our 30.5 BHLT in July and just got back from our first trip. We have not had any major issues so far.
Here's my list, though:
1. A few of the blinds are messed up with the strings cut too short making them too tight and crooked.
2. The small piece of solid surface countertop between the range and the fridge is sitting uneven.
3. When closed, the superslide does not go all the way in flush on the top left side.
4. We are not 100% sure that the water pump is working correctly.
5. The slide toppers are holding water, however, I am hearing that is normal.
6. There's a pretty bad scratch on the cabinet behind the bathroom door.

Considering the few issues that we have found, we have decided that our camper must have been built on Monday when the assembly line workers were 'fresh.' Some of you folks apparently got some 'Friday work.'

We hope to drop ours off at the dealer within the next few weeks for repairs. I'm anxious to see how helpful they are now that we are the owners.
PrellFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:11 AM   #9

The build date was listed on our paperwork, it was built on a Wednesday. We picked her back up from the dealer last night. It looks as most of the issues were corrected. Time will tell....
Old 09-09-2011, 10:17 PM   #10

I'm on my second new Jayco, current one is a 321RLTS 2011. After a very poor PDI, I picked it up. Had it at home cleaning up, started the loading and found several more issues. Back at the dealer now, dead rear AC, and converter issues. Quality does not seem to be what it used to be. Third buy from the dealer, they will make it right but surprised at the laundry list of items on a $56K MSRP 5th wheel. Really need to get it out for a shake down. It has a 2 year warrenty, so I do have some time. Just a bit surprised at the amount of use of that 2 year warrenty before my first real trip.
Smithrjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:55 PM   #11

jayco and Owasco rv QC slipping

well i'm glad to see i'm not the only one with jayco problem. the QC there must be slipping. And you have to watch the dealer Owasco rv. we picked up our 2012 swift trailer after the pdi. only to find out that they never hooked up the one burner on the stove. after a couple of tries it lite but the bottom of the stove was on fire. the ac blew more hot air in the trailer then cold. Paid for window eching never done. velcro on the wall to hold cushions was out by a inch or not there. trim around fridge needed to be replaced. found out the awning fabric was not square. after they replaced the fabric and replaced the wood trim around fridge, took trailer out camping, no propane to stove, fridge or furnace. you would think it would have been tested before i picked it up.
Attached Thumbnails
burner not hooked up.jpg   messed up trim.jpg   no velcro on wall.jpg   no trim was put around ac  (9).jpg   vlecro not lined up.jpg  

no trim was put around ac  (1).jpg  
Old 09-11-2011, 12:12 AM   #12

I had to pay 185 dollars for a gas inspection when buying our Jayco.
The bed was a cheap foam mattress which we had to upgrade at time of sale. 500 dollars for for what was suppose to be a great bed but turned out to be a torture devise. We wake up with a sore back every morning.
I'm taking our trailer in for warranty work next week.

Our awning is hard to adjust and there are several cosmetic changes that need to be made. Over all we have had way fewer issues than our previous Wilderness trailer. I love the way the trailer tows. It is easy to park compared to the previous trailer that was 10 feet shorter. All the appliances have worked as expected and some even better. Yes I would buy another Jayco at this point in time.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:49 AM   #13

Unhappy

First I am not happy to read about all the problems people are having with newer J's.. but just remember this the others are still far worse..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
First I am not happy to read about all the problems people are having with newer J's.. but just remember this the others are still far worse..
how much worse can it get. not doing a pdi and leaving a stove not hooked up. but giving you a full tank of propane and telling you. your all set to go camping.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durdle View Post
how much worse can it get. not doing a pdi and leaving a stove not hooked up. but giving you a full tank of propane and telling you. your all set to go camping.
That is your local dealer not the manufacture..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:49 PM   #16

Quote:

I know exactly what Seann means with that statement. We have had better and didn't really appreciate it. We have had a LOT worse with our last trailer. I am not complaining much about the one we have now.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:56 AM   #17

Quote:
That is your local dealer not the manufacture..

please check this video out. it states they check and make sure everything works. propane electric
Old 09-17-2011, 01:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durdle View Post
please check this video out. it states they check and make sure everything works. propane electric
I would agree with you, but I also think the dealer should do a full quality inspection when it comes in. For instance, stove could have been working fine at the factory and bounced loose for whatever reason.

Just my opinion - but a really good dealer will do a good quality check and not let a customer leave until he is happy.

My dealer was a great guy - and he said - "look, I want you happy. You got a small trailer and I hope you come see me when you trade UP". He is smart!

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:01 PM   #19

Update – We picked the trailer back up after the dealer corrected most of the issues on our long list. The service tech that made the repairs was the same tech that prepped our first unit that we were so happy with. On our second outing, all looked and functioned well until it was time to head home. While at the dump station I noticed parts hanging out from the backside of one of the brake drums. It appears the springs and cables are no longer connected to the brake shoes. Luckily we were only 10 miles from home and made the call to tow her in. The dealer is sending a tech to my house to evaluate the damage and towablity.

I do believe the dealer and techs can make the whole experience better if they are more through in their initial prep.