Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-06-2023, 02:10 PM   #1

New Leaf Springs

Our 2021 Jay Flight 29rks has flat leaf springs.
We are shopping for new ones.
The GVWR is 9,500lbs. The axles are rated for 5,200lbs. Per numerous CAT Scale weighs, the trailer's loaded travel weight is 7,200lbs.

We are looking at the Dexter PR5, a 25.25" five leaf 2,900lb spring.

Can we also consider a 25.25" 6 leaf spring that's rated at 3,500lb?
What are the pros and cons of adding a spring with a higher rating?
Will the stiffer springs ride rough and have a harsh impact on the chassis, axles, and walls?

We are also installing a set of Sumo Trailer Springs.

I would appreciate hearing from folks who work on (know) suspensions and those who have upgraded their springs to a higher weight rating.

Thank You!
gunafulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 08:08 PM   #2

Definitely go with a higher weight rating. Our springs have gone flat and cracked on one side as the trailer is too heavy for the springs. I'd recommend the Sumo Spring bump stops as well.
Old 10-06-2023, 08:44 PM   #3

Think about installing shocks before the Sumo Springs
I’m not overly impressed with the Sumos. Now I’m stuck with them. Their 30 day money back is a crock.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 06:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
Think about installing shocks before the Sumo Springs
Iím not overly impressed with the Sumos. Now Iím stuck with them. Their 30 day money back is a crock.
Sumos have their place on a truck, but I agree I would do shocks over them on a trailer any day. I installed Sumo's on a previous trailer and I think it actually increased the amount of bounce over stock springs without them.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 06:05 AM   #5

The Sumos were bought and paid for a long time ago. They are going to be installed. I just need help evaluating the springs so I can purchase the best weight rating for our unit.
Old 10-07-2023, 07:51 AM   #6

We went up one leaf about a year ago. Also added Sumos at the time. To me, the most important thing the Sumos will do is make the springs last longer, since they won't have to bend so far with every bounce. A second benefit of the bigger springs is that the trailer rides a little higher, and isn't as nose high going down the road. I wish we had gone up 2 leafs instead of 1.
Old 10-07-2023, 08:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
We went up one leaf about a year ago. Also added Sumos at the time. To me, the most important thing the Sumos will do is make the springs last longer, since they won't have to bend so far with every bounce. A second benefit of the bigger springs is that the trailer rides a little higher, and isn't as nose high going down the road. I wish we had gone up 2 leafs instead of 1.
@Cincinnati Kid,
Did you install a spring with greater capacity? What was the original spring's capacity and what is the capacity of the new spring?
I am trying to determine if the 3,500lb spring is detrimental over-kill. If I do not put enough weight on the spring, it may be too harsh/stiff. I think the 2,900lb spring would be fine, but if the 3,500lb. is also fine, I would go with the heavier spring. I just do not want to go so far with the upgrade that I create too harsh a ride.
Old 10-07-2023, 08:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunafulltime View Post
@Cincinnati Kid,
Did you install a spring with greater capacity? What was the original spring's capacity and what is the capacity of the new spring?
I am trying to determine if the 3,500lb spring is detrimental over-kill. If I do not put enough weight on the spring, it may be too harsh/stiff. I think the 2,900lb spring would be fine, but if the 3,500lb. is also fine, I would go with the heavier spring. I just do not want to go so far with the upgrade that I create too harsh a ride.
The original (flattened) springs were 5200# per axle, 2,600# per 4-leaf spring. Dexter sent me 4- 3,000# 5-leaf springs, so 6,000# per axle.

By the way, We were way outside our 2 year warranty when we got the new springs. I emailed Dexter photos of our flat springs, and they shipped me 4 springs and new u-bolts to my house, no charge-not as a warranty claim, but as a "courtesy". I had to put them on, they didn't pay for installation. I was thinking of going up 2 grades to a 6 leaf spring, but the Dexter guy didn't think it would be a good idea, so I stuck with the 5-leaf.
Old 10-07-2023, 08:59 AM   #9

Thank you, @Cincinnati Kid!