Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-04-2020, 04:56 PM   #1

No coach power after a year in storage

Hi all -

We have a 2019 Greyhawk 29MV that has been in storage. House & chassis batteries were removed and stored in our garage and periodically charged. Reinstalled them and found that we have no power to the coach. Chassis battery was a goner and had to be replaced but the house battery was load tested twice and it's good & fully charged.

Any time:
- retractable steps function as normal, so must draw power from the chassis battery

When ignition on:
- controller for levellers powers on (if house battery is not in, it displays 'low voltage', which I believe is normal - so at least the connection between the controller and house battery here is intact)
- in-dash stereo does not power on (suspect that it draws off the house battery)

When connected to shore power:
- microwave powers on, so presumably the outlets work
- nothing else powers on

When on battery:
- nothing powers on (no lights, no control panel functions, no generator turnover)
- the battery disconnect, which is a momentary switch, does nothing

Put a meter on the wire to the battery disconnect switch and it has power which must be pulled from the chassis battery. Put bypass jumpers on the latching relay and still nothing, so I don't think the relay is bad. The fuses and breakers under the bed are good; the fuses in the latching relay are good; fuse under the stairs is good - I don't know of any other fuse locations. Inspected all wiring as far as I can see under the coach and under the cabinet drawer and there is no damage.

I read a bit about people having bad latching relays, but couldn't find anything about a malfunctioning switch - can't even find the switch for sale anywhere online and no part number found on it - had hoped it'd be the cheapest, easiest possible fix. Nor can I find a wiring diagram so I can track and troubleshoot.

Any ideas of where I can look or what I can test next??

Thank you!

-Ali
a1i50n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 05:34 PM   #2

Are you sure the coach battery is connected properly? No wires switched! Battery disconnect should be on coach battery not chassis. Does geny start?
Old 10-04-2020, 06:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Are you sure the coach battery is connected properly? No wires switched! Battery disconnect should be on coach battery not chassis. Does geny start?
Yup, connections are proper, cables are in good condition and there is no oxidation on the contact surfaces.

The momentary switch has to have some initial power to it in order to activate the relay to connect the house battery to the system - this appears to come from the chassis battery as the same line continues on to power the carbon monoxide/smoke detector, which is currently only getting power when the ignition is on.

The generator doesn't start from the control panel nor manually at the generator itself - I figured the starter is powered by the house battery.

Without a wiring diagram, I'm left testing and guessing.

Thank you for your thoughts!

-Ali
Old 10-04-2020, 07:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1i50n View Post
The generator doesn't start from the control panel nor manually at the generator itself - I figured the starter is powered by the house battery.
The battery disconnect gets it's power from the coach battery nothing from the chassis. See attached

The geny is normally powered independently by the coach battery also, including the remote start panel, so that tells me one of your connections is probably wrong or the battery is dead. The geny ground is connected to the frame and the positive usually goes directly to the battery so it should start with or without the disconnect.
Attached Thumbnails
disconnect.gif  
Old 10-05-2020, 11:40 AM   #5

Once you get your current problem solved, my suggestion is a “complete” shut off for your batteries when in storage. Most RV batteries will be dead in a couple weeks just from parasitic drains even with a factory battery disconnect.

If they have been dead for a year, they are probably only good for a core charge when buying new ones. If you have no solar panels and it’s not going to be plugged in or a battery tender attached, all batteries need to be disconnected in storage. Better yet, take them out and store them at home so you can maintain them. Or just buy new batteries every year, but that gets a bit expensive.
Old 10-06-2020, 10:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
Once you get your current problem solved, my suggestion is a “complete” shut off for your batteries when in storage. Most RV batteries will be dead in a couple weeks just from parasitic drains even with a factory battery disconnect.

If they have been dead for a year, they are probably only good for a core charge when buying new ones. If you have no solar panels and it’s not going to be plugged in or a battery tender attached, all batteries need to be disconnected in storage. Better yet, take them out and store them at home so you can maintain them. Or just buy new batteries every year, but that gets a bit expensive.
Thank you for your reply & advice - as I mentioned at the beginning of the original post, they were removed and stored in our garage and fully charged before reinstallation. We discovered the parasitic drains in our first month of ownership and are careful not to make that mistake again
Old 10-06-2020, 01:38 PM   #7

Thank you for the diagram; ours is not wired the same and definitely has power from the chassis battery too, but the tip about the generator was helpful in me having a lightbulb moment.

I was actually hoping for a duh moment because then at least things aren't actually broken and we're just doofuses (or is the plural doofi?), and in summary we are in fact doofuses/doofi.

So after I went back out and shorted the switch wires to bypass the switch and connected the house battery directly to the relay to bypass the switch leg of the wire, and pretty much everything else I could think of, I traced every connection off the house battery as far as I could and not just inspecting for damaged insulation and found that the positive connection to the 100a buss fuse has only one wire outgoing that I couldn't previously (easily) trace, so I made it my mission to find where it went and found it connects to a hydraulic pump for the levelers....WTH, where are the rest of the power connections!??! then it hit me: OMG - the battery *isn't* connected properly. i can "check my connections" all i want but if I don't know what goes where, all i should have said is that the connections were tight and free from corrosion and that is all.

Call to my husband (while laying under the rv in the street, people slowing down to see if I'm stuck, I imagine looking like the witch's legs trapped under the house in wizard of oz) went like this:
me: you're suuuuuuure you hooked up the house battery correctly??
him: yes
me: you're certain that the 4 black cables connect to the negative?
him: yessss.
me: no. that's impossible (and in retrospect, doesn't even make sense). come out here.
me: at least one of these black cables HAS to go to the + terminal otherwise there's no power to anything except the levelers & the power cable to the generator *is black*, not red. did you take a picture before you unhooked it?
him: no, but i put tape on them to remind me of something, but i don't remember what.
me: ....
him: ...
me: ....
him: ....
me: why am i just now hearing about the tape?!
him: dunno. i don't remember what it's for.

so, the positive terminal and 3 of the black cables have small pieces of black tape my husband put on them and the negative just has the factory white tape. googled an image which led back to someone else on the forum and confirmed only the white factory taped cable goes to the negative terminal....all others +. i've never actually paid any attention to the properly connected house battery, but now i'll never forget it. i absolutely know better than to assume red is always + and black is always -, so i'm most angry at myself for just glancing at them to make sure they were tight instead of engaging my brain, and i may just be trying to displace my frustration of having cancelled our trip, spending my entire vacation going back and forth trying to troubleshoot something that was nothing (although we also got a lot of housework done, i'd rather have been camping at the beach), but i have to ask: why in the world wouldn't they have these marked and/or a diagram in the owner's manual?? 3 of the cables disappear in a wire loom, so it's not real clear what terminal they should be connected to :\

ugh.

thanks for you time in trying to help me get this figured out & i hope our doofiness helps someone else avoid a doofy moment of their own.