Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-31-2021, 06:27 PM   #1

No power to half of inside trailer

Hey guys!

Jay flight 32 TSBH. I am currently camping and the 50 amp breaker on the power poll we are hooked up to went bad. While switching it out I forgot to turn the new one to off and it sparked while installing.

Now the trailer has power except for one side of the trailers outlets, second A/C, refrigerator, microwave and water heater do not. I have flipped the breakers, changed out the GFCI outlet in the bathroom and still can’t figure out how to fix it.

Would like to try to fix this as we are currently camping with the family. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jcal87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 07:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcal87 View Post
Hey guys!

Jay flight 32 TSBH. I am currently camping and the 50 amp breaker on the power poll we are hooked up to went bad. While switching it out I forgot to turn the new one to off and it sparked while installing.

Now the trailer has power except for one side of the trailers outlets, second A/C, refrigerator, microwave and water heater do not. I have flipped the breakers, changed out the GFCI outlet in the bathroom and still can’t figure out how to fix it.

Would like to try to fix this as we are currently camping with the family. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You've lost a leg of your 50-amp service. Hopefully you have a meter and I would check the pedestal first making sure you have power on each of the hot legs at the outlet. If not, you've found that the problem lies somewhere at the receptacle, breaker, or the incoming lines.

If power good at pedestal you need to check your plug, cord, panel, or your 50-amp breaker. If you have a generator and an automatic transfer switch the switch could be a source of trouble also.

Do you have an EMS or surge protector? If so there could be an issue with that.

Good luck!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 07:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
You've lost a leg of your 50-amp service. Hopefully you have a meter and I would check the pedestal first making sure you have power on each of the hot legs at the outlet. If not, you've found that the problem lies somewhere at the receptacle, breaker, or the incoming lines.

If power good at pedestal you need to check your plug, cord, panel, or your 50-amp breaker. If you have a generator and an automatic transfer switch the switch could be a source of trouble also.

Do you have an EMS or surge protector? If so there could be an issue with that.

Good luck!
I have no power at any of the outlets on the one side. I even bypassed the GFCI and no power. I unfortunately don’t have a meter. It seems like the problem has to be between the incoming breaker the lines in between or the breakers at the fuse box. The rest of the trailer has perfect power with the number AC working fine along with slides and lights.
Old 12-31-2021, 07:45 PM   #4

I have to ask the obvious. Did you reset the breaker on the post? One side may have tripped, but the handle didn't move.
Old 12-31-2021, 07:50 PM   #5

Quote:
I have no power at any of the outlets on the one side. I even bypassed the GFCI and no power. I unfortunately don’t have a meter. It seems like the problem has to be between the incoming breaker the lines in between or the breakers at the fuse box. The rest of the trailer has perfect power with the number AC working fine along with slides and lights.
Anyone close by that maybe can help with a meter?

Have you tried forcefully cycling the pedestal breaker and your rig's main breaker off then back on? Sometimes they'll reset.

And lastly, do you have a dog bone to adapt your 50-amp cord to the 30-amp receptacle on the pedestal? That would at least tell you if your rig is okay if everything begins working again. But obviously you can't run everything off a 30-amp circuit.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 07:52 PM   #6

All excellent troubleshooting ideas. By chance do you carry a 30 amp to 50 amp converter plug? If so you may be able to get by with a connection to the park's 30 amp outlet. This would tie all 120 volt items into one leg of the service. If everything powers up inside the rig, the problem is with the pedestal.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 08:04 PM   #7

Unplug, flip pedestal breaker and tt breakers off 10 seconds, back on, turn pedestal off,plug in and flip on. Worked for me when I did that. Gfci may have popped too. I had one that did. Red led only lit while reset was pushed
Old 12-31-2021, 08:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
Anyone close by that maybe can help with a meter?

Have you tried forcefully cycling the pedestal breaker and your rig's main breaker off then back on? Sometimes they'll reset.

And lastly, do you have a dog bone to adapt your 50-amp cord to the 30-amp receptacle on the pedestal? That would at least tell you if your rig is okay if everything begins working again. But obviously you can't run everything off a 30-amp circuit.

It’s a hard wired 50 amp connection to a power poll. It’s at our deer lease and not a typical RV park. I will add when I originally swapped the bad 50 amp breaker I didn’t have another 50 so I made another older 30 amp breaker work temporarily. We have done this in the past and it still powered everything fine though.
Old 12-31-2021, 08:50 PM   #9

Everyone with an RV needs a multimeter. You will use it sooner than later.
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 08:58 PM   #10

Quote:
It’s a hard wired 50 amp connection to a power poll. It’s at our deer lease and not a typical RV park. I will add when I originally swapped the bad 50 amp breaker I didn’t have another 50 so I made another older 30 amp breaker work temporarily. We have done this in the past and it still powered everything fine though.
I believe a typical 50 amp breaker would be 2 breakers connected together with a cap. That way you are forced to turn off both breakers instead of just one. If you are mixing breakers they are probably not connected together meaning that one could trip and not affect the other. Could lead to a dangerous situation.

What you did is good for a temporary fix but should be permanently fixed with a new 2 unit breaker. Not preaching, just recommending.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote