Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-07-2017, 05:57 AM   #1

Unhappy Norcold doesn't want to pay

Hello, We have a 2016 Jayco Eagle that we bought just under a year ago. The cooling unit went out on our Norcold fridge. The rig has been at the dealer that we bought it from since this past Tuesday. The dealer is saying that Norcold is being very un-cooperative. They say they have provided all the proper paperwork and photos that Norco has requested, but they are still refusing to ship part. The dealer has told me that they have gotten their manager involved, but still no luck. Has anyone else encounter this kind of problem with Norcold. Our rig is still under warranty. We are staying at a friends house while our rig is in the shop as we are wintering in Florida, and now our home is gone.
Photonut4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:45 AM   #2

Think you mean Norcold which is under the Thetford umbrella of products.

Has the dealer contacted Jayco?

That would be actually the 1st step.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:49 AM   #3

Yes you are right about the spelling. Thank you and sorry for that. I will be contacting Jayco Monday. I had been giving the dealer a chance to resolve it and they, for some reason, will not contact Jayco themselves. Maybe they are not suppose to, I don't know, but I will do it Monday.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:00 AM   #4
Site Team

Has Norcold provided a reason why they will not send the part?
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 07:21 AM   #5

Not to our knowledge. The only info our dealer has given us is that Norcold keeps asking for more info and they are supplying it, but they keep wanting more. I cannot even tell you how many times we have heard the phrase, "I'm sorry" in the past week from our dealer. As nice as that is, we would really just have it fixed. We have had the rig less than a year, so this shouldn't be an issue.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:31 AM   #6
Site Team

If the need is great and the part is not rediculosly expensive perhaps you could order the part on your dime and hash out reimbursement later. Not the most desirable scenario but it may keep you in your rig.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:38 AM   #7

At this point, I would consider just parking my tush in the rig until it is fixed. They have it set up right outside the service bay and is connected to electric.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:10 AM   #8

The dealer is mucking you a bit... it should be covered under Jayco's 24 month bumper to bumper warranty.. Here is to hoping it is fixed soon
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:12 AM   #9

Could be a dealer issue. We live in west Louisiana, dealer is in south east Louisiana, we were in hot springs, ar on a trip with major issues with our norcold (leaking out the back during thaw cycle). Sent pictures and video to dealer, new fridge shipped and was at dealer before I even got home. Only had to bring it in for the swap, which took them under 15 minutes. Never unhooked camper from truck. Had issues with the new one too, so I put in a residential fridge and the norcold just fills a hole in my shop now. Either way, I'd bet it's the dealer, not norcold.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:21 AM   #10

My dealer gave me the response they got from a vendor and I did not think the response was reasonable. I called the vendor, and the response changed dramatically. My suggestion is that you contact Norcold directly. This is not a criticism of your dealer; but the person directly affected by a decision can sometimes advocate for themselves better than a third party.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:17 AM   #11

Oh I never would have thought to call Norcold directly. That is a very good idea. Thank you so much. And thank you to everyone that replied. I got some good information here, and I am ready to go to battle next week with dealer/Norcold/Jayco. Thanks to all.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photonut4 View Post
Oh I never would have thought to call Norcold directly. That is a very good idea. Thank you so much. And thank you to everyone that replied. I got some good information here, and I am ready to go to battle next week with dealer/Norcold/Jayco. Thanks to all.
Reverse the order...Jayco is the place to start and they will handle EVERYTHING!!

2 year JAYCO WARRANTY ON EVERYTHING!!!!

Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Old 01-08-2017, 06:22 AM   #13

Thank you I will do that. You all have made me feel better. I am actually beginning to believe that we will get our rig back this week. Fingers crossed.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:59 AM   #14

Angry

So here is the update: nothing has been done. We have been talking to the manager at the dealer and Jayco and so far nothing. The dealer has had the rig since January 3rd, and now they are saying they do not know what is wrong with the fridge. Jayco says all she can do is nudge them, but that is it. Yes she confirms that it is covered under warranty, but that does us no good if they don't fix the stupid thing. So Jayco is useless, and the dealer is useless. So frustrating.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:17 AM   #15

You said in your 1st post;

Quote:
The cooling unit went out on our Norcold fridge.
Have you tried running it on propane assuming you are trying it on electric?

If yes then it's time for YOU to call Norcold.

Oh, and never heard of Jayco or a reputable dealer not being able to help solve a problem....jus saying from experience.

Good luck.

View photos

Our Trip Journal
Old 01-11-2017, 08:31 AM   #16

We were initially told it was the cooling unit, now we are told they don't know. I just called Norcold, and they said that they have not heard from the dealership at all. So I then called the dealer back and they said that no, they don't call Norcold, first they had to submit it to their warranty department to get approval, and then the request goes to Norcold. I asked for the phone number of their warranty department and he said he wouldn't give it to me that he would send them and email and then call me back.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:43 AM   #17

This is starting to sound a little fishy on the dealer's part. Sounds like they're jerking you around a bit. I'm not sure I wouldn't take the trailer back and deal with Norcold directly. Then I'd contact Jayco and tell them that I took the trailer back from the dealership, and ask them to deal directly with me, or recommend a Jayco approved repair facility that can and will handle the problem efficiently.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:05 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
This is starting to sound a little fishy on the dealer's part. Sounds like they're jerking you around a bit. I'm not sure I wouldn't take the trailer back and deal with Norcold directly. Then I'd contact Jayco and tell them that I took the trailer back from the dealership, and ask them to deal directly with me, or recommend a Jayco approved repair facility that can and will handle the problem efficiently.
Yes its hard for them to submit a warranty claim if they do not have the ability or where with all to diagnose the problem in the first place. It sounds like they are dealing with it by not dealing with it.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:28 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Then I'd contact Jayco and tell them that I took the trailer back from the dealership, and ask them to deal directly with me, or recommend a Jayco approved repair facility that can and will handle the problem efficiently.
X-2 JAYCO even authorizes "mobile" service techs.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:46 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Yes its hard for them to submit a warranty claim if they do not have the ability or where with all to diagnose the problem in the first place. It sounds like they are dealing with it by not dealing with it.
Agreed!
"I don't know" is not an acceptable answer. If they "don't know" then they should just replace the entire refridge with a new one.
IMO, you should look for another dealer. I have had work done by a non-jayco independent repair shop. Jayco had no issue with that as long as I talked to them first.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote