Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-03-2022, 08:20 AM   #1

Norcold door issue

My main Fridge door is catching at the bottom corner on the side that is opposite of the hinge side.

I can see the gap between the door and Fridge frame narrows towards the top. I suspect this is related to the problem with the plastic door hinges that Norcold uses.

Has anyone purchased and installed the hinge reinforcement part? I want to try and fix this myself, but need to make sure the fix will work and that I can remove the door properly without damaging any of the other parts.

Please let me know if you’ve made this repair.
Mhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 07:46 PM   #2

It’s a simple, quick 15-minute job. More of a precaution than a fix as it just reinforces the cheap plastic hinge. It’s definitely worth doing, despite being overpriced.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 08:20 PM   #3
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhowell View Post
My main Fridge door is catching at the bottom corner on the side that is opposite of the hinge side.

I can see the gap between the door and Fridge frame narrows towards the top. I suspect this is related to the problem with the plastic door hinges that Norcold uses.

Has anyone purchased and installed the hinge reinforcement part? I want to try and fix this myself, but need to make sure the fix will work and that I can remove the door properly without damaging any of the other parts.

Please let me know if you’ve made this repair.
I have the N816, there is no hinge adjustment, as far as I can tell. Not sure how the reinforcing part would solve your problem, either. Is the molded ABS plastic piece on the bottom corner cracked or broken in any way? It's ABS so it's not like Poly Ethylene or HD Poly, it will break before it bends much. Is it RH or LH? Removing the door is a five minute ( or less) job, remove the top hinge pin with a half inch open end wrench, it only takes a couple of turns, lift the pin out and lift the door off the bottom pin.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 06:47 AM   #4
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyrlef View Post
I have the N816, there is no hinge adjustment, as far as I can tell. Not sure how the reinforcing part would solve your problem, either. Is the molded ABS plastic piece on the bottom corner cracked or broken in any way? It's ABS so it's not like Poly Ethylene or HD Poly, it will break before it bends much. Is it RH or LH? Removing the door is a five minute ( or less) job, remove the top hinge pin with a half inch open end wrench, it only takes a couple of turns, lift the pin out and lift the door off the bottom pin.
I'm asking because I have a bracket for a LH door. Stand facing your door, the hinge side determines your door swing, hinge on the right, RH door.
Old 06-05-2022, 07:18 PM   #5

The hinges are on the right hand side of the door.

I am pretty sure its not broke. When I reduced the weight stored in the door shelves the door stopped sticking. I suspect the hinge had too much weight on it. I still think I should add the reinforcing part.

Does the part come with instructions? I am worried about removing the controller face plate to get to the hinge pin.
Mhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 07:27 PM   #6
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhowell View Post
The hinges are on the right hand side of the door.

I am pretty sure its not broke. When I reduced the weight stored in the door shelves the door stopped sticking. I suspect the hinge had too much weight on it. I still think I should add the reinforcing part.

Does the part come with instructions? I am worried about removing the controller face plate to get to the hinge pin.
Definitely, yes it comes with instructions, just remove the top pin and lift the door off. You don’t need to get anywhere near the face plate.