Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-17-2013, 12:24 PM   #1

One of my brakes failed.

Hello All, new to site. I have owned a 2012 Jay Flight for almost 2 years now. Needless to say we love it!

Anyway, we are leaving for a trip from NY to Disney tomorrow. First one for the season. So doing all of the annual maintenance. I usually remove the brake and drum to inspect the brakes. I was pressed for time, so I decided to just pack the wheel bearings. The last wheel, the greese was not pushing out. I thought my greese gun had failed again, so I continued to pump. Still nothing, very unusal. So I look behind the wheel, and there was greese all over the drum and brake assembly. A real mess.

So I remove the wheel and drum, as I should have to begin with, and the spring connecting the pads at the bottom broke in half. So off to the trailer store to buy a new assembly.

The install went well. Except I was doing it in the snow we were having at the time. I had not done an electric brake install in about 5 years. So it was a learning experience as I proceeded. I pull about 5 to 6 times a year. And I probably have about under 3k. So my question. Has anyone else experienced this issue I had with the spring breaking with so little mileage? Thanks.
Shogunles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #2

I don't know the answer to you question, but I am curious about your trip details. How long you plan on driving for and where you intend to stop etc... We live in mass, and in the next couple years, that trip sounds like it could be alot of fun!

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Has anyone else experienced this issue I had with the spring breaking with so little mileage?
I wasn't aware of any others, but after reading your post, I searched "broken spring" and there has been at least one other. (I didn't read them all.)
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdorant View Post
I don't know the answer to you question, but I am curious about your trip details. How long you plan on driving for and where you intend to stop etc... We live in mass, and in the next couple years, that trip sounds like it could be alot of fun!
No worries. My Inlaws(Outlaws LOL) live near Tampa. So when we drive down annually, without the TT, we have a routine. And we have little ones. So to drive straight through is not an option. So we are going to follow the same routine for this trip as we did for years past.

I usually leave at around midnight, so the kids sleep most of the trip. No secret there. I drive as far as Santee, SC. Which is just past the halfway point of SC. Exit 98 off of 95. There is a great Best Western literally right off of the exit. The best part about it is it is $75 for the night. Being this is the first time we are traveling so far with the trailer, I wanted to stay at a motel so we could get out, turn in the key, and leave quickly. A bit easier than breaking down a partial setup at a campground. The place has a pool and a great place to eat at the foot of the motel entrance. And they do have trailer parking. it is a bit more than paying for a campground. However, I do not mid paying for convenience. And it is so close to the exit, about 1/8 mile, that I cannot resist. It is about 720 miles from home. That will leave us about 6 hours to get to Disney or so.

If you plan to stay at Disney, Fort Wilderness, I would book it way in advance. We are staying Easter week and Spring Break Week, so it booked up fast. We booked 8 months in advance. I think I am more excited than the kids about this trip.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:43 PM   #5

Thank you I will check it out. I have owned many other TT. And this is the first time something like this has happened to me. Especially with so few miles on the brakes. And it is not covered under warranty because it is a wearable item. Though I will still see if they will reimburst me for the brake assembly. It cannot hurt to try. I have had very good fortune with Jayco's Warranty Process. I had a rip in the couch recently at the seams, and they repaired it wihout question. First Jayco I have owned. And I will never own anything else than a Jayco in the future..