Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-27-2012, 07:50 PM   #1

Angry out camping and got some probs (fridge & AC)

Uggg.. Well at the site now and two problems ided to pretty much show up about the same time, gould use some advise/help here hooked up the powe last eve to get the fridge nice and cool for the 1hr drive. This AM before leaving the house all was nice and cold, put some pre-cooled food in the fridge and headed out. About 5 hrs hooked up at the site noticed not really cool (running on AC). Then a little later I get the "n" error code on the fridge display. Clear ot by on/off the fridge and shows normal but a few hrs still not cold and "n" reappears.just installed a inside fridge fan but not sure this has anything to do with it. Saved the food by putting in two coolers but fridge is off right now, any ideas?

My other prob is my AC roof unit decided to start leaking inside the TT. Pulled the filter covers off and can see water dripping inside off about where the romex pwr wires run into the box.maybe clogged drain, spring mounted bolts seem secure and the gasket isn't totally crushed. Ideas? Thanks
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:21 PM   #2

Have you tried running the fridge on propane? May get you through the trip until it can be dealt with properly.

Sorry, I got nothin' on the AC having never had to open one up - but I'd think like you that if the bolts are tight enough that some type of condensation drain is clogged....

-chak

My Write-up on managing 12V and batteries
LED Bulbs and what I did
Chakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:21 AM   #3

Must have somesort of clogged drain, re-leveled the TT to pitch a bit more to the rear and now have the AC water running off the back of the TT (didn't have that yesterday) I'll watch the inside today for drips but not near as bad so far. Tried the propane still get "n". Control board bad?
Old 07-28-2012, 08:32 AM   #4

What is the model number of the fridge? Is it just an N or is there a number as well?

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:52 AM   #5

Refridgerator sounds like a bad board issue needs to go back to dealer..... the AC could just be high humidity issues. Mine does similar in the shore area of NJ when outside humidity rises.. the cold unit pulling in damp air causes the moisture to accumulate on anything cold.. Even the local stores in the shore area the other day had water dripping off of the air vents due to the super high humidity... I just wipe off the water drops with a towel and try to keep the outside air out as much as possible.. Now this is just a few water drips not flowing water like from the condensation pump....
rheyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:24 AM   #6

Few drips inside every 5mins or so, not like a constant drip-drip-drip.. Its a Norcold 503 model I believe. All I show is the "n" on the display which tells me the unit quit/stopped heating the coils. Would rather just get and install the board myself and save the dealers labor charge and mark-up costs but need to figure if that's indeed the prob.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by exjay1 View Post
Uggg.. Well at the site now and two problems ided to pretty much show up about the same time, gould use some advise/help here hooked up the powe last eve to get the fridge nice and cool for the 1hr drive. This AM before leaving the house all was nice and cold, put some pre-cooled food in the fridge and headed out. About 5 hrs hooked up at the site noticed not really cool (running on AC). Then a little later I get the "n" error code on the fridge display. Clear ot by on/off the fridge and shows normal but a few hrs still not cold and "n" reappears.just installed a inside fridge fan but not sure this has anything to do with it. Saved the food by putting in two coolers but fridge is off right now, any ideas?

My other prob is my AC roof unit decided to start leaking inside the TT. Pulled the filter covers off and can see water dripping inside off about where the romex pwr wires run into the box.maybe clogged drain, spring mounted bolts seem secure and the gasket isn't totally crushed. Ideas? Thanks
I don't have any answers for you, but perhaps an idea. I see you installed the inside fridge fan recently. I remember reading your posts in that thread. You might want to re-post in that thread to see if any one else has had an issue with their fridge after installing the inside fridge fan. Also in the Jayco mods forum, there is a thread about fridge fans up near the top. At least people who have done this mod will see it and offer some assistance. Hope things work out.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #8

Starting to think the fan has nothing to do with it, same problem wither fan is on or off. This is the fridge I have but my phone won't let me open many documents on thsi site for some reason:

http://www.thetford.com/HOME/Product...1/Default.aspx
Old 07-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #9

an update:

Got home today and after unpacking started working on the Jayco. found correct documentation online to perform the jumper re-set to pull my fridge out of the "lock out" state. did this and let it run for 6hrs on a setting of 8. opened and was cool as it should be. Not sure why it gave me problems but seems to be OK (for now). As for the AC, still couldnt determin if its condensation or a possible roof leak. removed the inside shroud (broke off a few fins as a result due to the plastic is pretty brittle, will glue back later on) and found a possible roof leak towards the front of unit (see pics) and some of the interior roof paneling is wet. Looks like the front seal was installed a bit off but is still sandwitched inbetween the roof and unit. snugged up the AC mounting bolts a bit more but didnt seem loose really. Im thinking the front seal maybe compromised and the water runoff from the AC is puddling on the roof and finding its way in. let me know what you think.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:43 PM   #10

you may have a blocked venturi on the fridge propane line that is forcing the fridge into that state. Open the fridge vent panel on the outside of the trailer and carefully disassemble the line going to the fridge coils. Blow out the pipe using some compressed air. Spiders like to nest in there.
Happens to me almost every season.
phemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:52 PM   #11

would it matter if I just run it on AC for this pipe to have an effect on its operation while on AC? Ive never ran it on LP yet since Ive had it (4months now).
Old 02-23-2013, 07:39 AM   #12

Just as an update on this. I went inside the TT the other day and noticed that there is some delamination between the white "celing paper" and the board that it is glued to. Its about a 8" square piece on the left side of the AC unit and I can push up on it and feel the small gaps forming. Ther exterior roof itself is solid so Im thinking just cosmetic issue for now. I blame myself completly for not dealing with this leak before winter..oh well. I went to CW yesterday and picked up a new AC unit foam seal ($25) and a tube of Dicore lap sealant to re-coat all my vents etc.. I will let it dry out after removing the AC unit but just waiting on a dry weekend to do this now. On a plus, I did get my JOF decal in the mail yesterday along with a $25 coupon off a goodsam park for renewing my membership another year. I'll try to get some pics up soon of what Im dealing with and my repairs.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:27 AM   #13

I am guessing all of your 12VDC items were working ok... All of those things require 12VDC as well as 120VAC... Especially the boards. Was your 12VDC ceiling lamps working ok on the trip. You may have sparked the battery terminals or hooked them in reverse order before the trip and blown a couple of 12VDC fuses...

The converter/charger provides 12VDC to all of your circuits when connected to shore power as well as charging the trailer battery. It almost sounds like you may be missing 12VDC at the circuit boards for the fridge or even for the propane controls.

If you did hook up your batteries prior to going on the trip please check the battery case and find the word "NEG" or the minus symbol "-" stamped into the plastic case and make sure the battery cable connected to that terminal is the one that goes to the trailer frame ground just inches away from the battery.

Just a thought...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:59 AM   #14

If I recall the fridge was working (pre cool down) before we left but the problem started at the site, battery was never disonnected and nvere had an issue with 12v lights/accessories. I was able to locate the svc manual and "jump" or "reset" the control board and has worked fine over the last few trips out before winter storage. Im going to try to pull the TT out to the driveway next weekend and tackle the leaky AC.